Civic Type R Mystery Exhaust Pipe - 10th Gen Civic Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Civic Type R Mystery Exhaust Pipe

Debunked ! It's just another pipe for the exhaust... instead of a Y-split .. its just... a three way split.

Kinda disappointed the mystery is over though..

Also wondering why it took someone so long to slide under the car to get this picture and share it around...

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 07:20 PM

Garage
It's actually a resonator strictly for sound, I ran into a guy who has seen this set up before and that's what he claims anyway.

FROM THE GREAT WHITE NORTH
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabeldude View Post
It's actually a resonator strictly for sound, I ran into a guy who has seen this set up before and that's what he claims anyway.
Yeah I bet it is more for tuning of sound rather than airflow gains. But I kind of like it, I think that is a cool idea.

2016 Coupe Touring - Blue
2002 Honda S2000 - Silver with Blue and Black custom interior. Garage Queen.
2015 Jeep daily driver workhorse.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 12:53 AM

It works well for design since this is just about the first time we're seeing an exhaust setup like this and if there's one thing Honda need with design its something to stand out with that fits the brands DNA.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith View Post
It works well for design since this is just about the first time we're seeing an exhaust setup like this and if there's one thing Honda need with design its something to stand out with that fits the brands DNA.
It's not unlike something you might see from a high-end Japanese tuner like Mugen or ASM.

If the two side mufflers are chambered and the centre muffler is straight through, it might have some performance benefits with a straight shot out for the exhaust flow at WOT/high rpm gains.

On our S2000's we modify the oem chambered mufflers with a UK mod. that welds in a new pipe extension to bypass the internal loop and sends exhaust flow straight out the centre pipe. Results in much better sound.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 12:47 PM

That's a lot more straightforward than what I thought it was. Originally thought it was one of those exhausts that opens up and closes when need depending on the drive mode of the car.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 07:12 PM

The 2 side mufflers look just like the one's on my Sport.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 07:13 PM

Probably look into seeing if it would bolt onto my Sport in the future, rear section anyway.....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Probably look into seeing if it would bolt onto my Sport in the future, rear section anyway.....
The more I look at the design of the 3 mufflers the more I like it. I'd run one if it could fit. I've got a coupe and there is no center cutout for something like this without some cutting.

I think the two exhaust tips are a bit too large for my liking, maybe a tad "ricey" looking for a daily driver coupe, though they could be easily swapped out.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

I'm sure it'll be possible to buy an aftermarket rear bumper that will allow for that exhaust section. Much like the Golfs had when they wanted the R32 center exhaust conversion ??

It definitely seems like something that will be desirable so the market will be there for it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page