10th Honda Civic Forum banner

TPMS Light

40K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  Andy.Whitney 
#1 ·
Anybody having issues with the TPMS light coming on for no reason? I've tried following the calibration procedure, but a couple days later it comes on again. I verified pressures manually.

#9 ·
Glad to hear that, keep us posted on how it goes. But at least with this thread up it will get the attention of those that might have been going through a similar thing.

Do you at least have a good dealer to go to? Not all dealers are created equal.

#11 ·
I don't know why Honda went with this setup. I can speculate that the public does not want TPMS sensors in the tires due to the added cost when changing rims, and their is probably a cost savings due to the fact their is no hardware in this setup just software piggybacking on the traction control system, but the US auto industry is mandated by government to have some form of TMPS. At first I thought this was a neat new innovation for the reasons above, but as I read up on it I quickly found out that this is really old technology, in fact this was the very first TPMS of any kind and was quickly replaced due to its many flaws. The flaws that allow false readings are tire spin due to road conditions and change of wheel circumference due to snow or mud build up on tires. Honda Canada was lucky, their is no such government legislation so they just eliminated TPMS from the entire Civic lineup, it's the first manufacture to omit the TPMS in three years and will probably set a trend among others.

#12 ·
Some people I know just get the sensors yanked whenever they end up changing the tires and resort to the good old tire gauge. Sometimes it pays to stick to tradition and I bet if you look back at vehicles that are 4-5+ years old you'll find that some owners just don't have them reinstalled back... unless the vehicle needs to be sold and it has to pass a safety test.

#17 ·
No, all normal road driving.

Just a stab in the dark but have you tried rotating the tires around,or perhaps unhooking the battery for a while to see if it will revert to default settings.I can imagine this is bugging the heck outa ya,it would me.My 14 CRV did this about once a month and I ended up rotating the tires and didn't do it again until it actually had a low psi tire.
Interesting. I am about to get snows on, with different wheels. Will be interesting to see how those do.

#16 ·
Just a stab in the dark but have you tried rotating the tires around,or perhaps unhooking the battery for a while to see if it will revert to default settings.I can imagine this is bugging the heck outa ya,it would me.My 14 CRV did this about once a month and I ended up rotating the tires and didn't do it again until it actually had a low psi tire.

#20 ·
Still on the first tank of gas on my new 2017 hatchback, my TPMS light came on this morning a few minutes after I ran over a piece of trash that went 'klunk, klunk' under the car. So I checked my tire pressures: they're all 48-50 psi cold. The door sticker says 32. Why? Also, further evidence to support the theory that hitting a bump might trigger the TPMS light.

#22 ·
Did you adjust the psi to 32 psi?Id contact the dealership and ask them why your tires were so over inflated.Allmost like they over inflated so your car would get better mileage,IDK though just speculation.

#24 ·
I'd do what the door just says that's 32 psi.My .02 Lincolns

#25 ·
Moved to Wheels tires sub forum.��

#28 ·
ok, even if that's true...don't all dealers tack on the "dealer prep" fee?

seem's dealer isn't prepping the cars at all. just taking the protection wraps off, washing 'em and selling them. may want to check your oil as well. who knows what they did and didn't do.

#29 ·
New forum member and 2017 Civic EX-L Nav owner here.

I will chime in on this thread since I just came back from the dealership with the exact same issues. My TMPS light kept coming on and so I checked the tires and they were at 47psi...which I thought was low because I was going by the Max pressure on the tire sidewall..(yeah, I'm a noob, I know). Anyway, high tire pressure usually means better mileage, right? So I ran it back up to 52psi and recalibrated the car. No problem, light stayed off for awhile...but then it came back on again. I am pretty sure I hit a small pot hole now that I think of it. Anyway, when I took it in today, they told me it was way too high and that I should stick to the inflation numbers on the door panel. So that is what I am going to do. I will keep an eye on that light though.

Side note: I brought in my car because the back rain wiper was not working....come to find out that the guys who tinted my windows forgot to plug it back in when they were done. Now I have to see if I can get my $102 back from them...(yeah, I'm not holding my breath).

#30 · (Edited)
First off Stormcrow welcome to the forum and^^^^^^Stick with the Honda recommendation for the tire inflation PSI and you shouldn't have any issues.Also if you haven't already check out all the sub-forums for a lot of helpful information.

#33 ·
i would think that they have kept the same basic system since '14 - that there are no actual 'sensors' in the wheels themselves. it's all relative to wheel speed and that they all match within a certain %.

interesting that your winter's haven't tripped it...but the factory ones have.

sounds like your factory 18's are defective...i'll just swing by and take 'em off your hands...i have a set of OEM's in the basement i'll just give you instead. (tires on them as well!) :)

#34 · (Edited)
I stuck this thread so any and all questions regarding TPMS can be posted here.

Attachments

#35 ·
Been here a few times. Started when I went over some RR tracks. Posts are correct, there are no sensors, it’s based on wheel rotation. I finally got it to shut off after getting all tires the same pressure and the doing the TPMS calibration 3 times in a row. I read something about the system caching the data. I suspect since it’s based on tire rotation that it saves errors and lights up after a few have occurred. That worked fine in several weeks of wide temperature swings (+60F to -5F).
Then I took it to the dealership for an oil change and tire rotation and had to go through it all again.
It seems constant though, set the pressures, recalibrate the TMPS 3x and you’re good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.