10th Honda Civic Forum banner

Winter Tires

30K views 51 replies 25 participants last post by  Engineer Paul 
#1 ·
with winter fast approaching and already hitting in some areas, what would be the best winter/tire combo for the 10th gen? :p

figured someone had to start the discussion! might as well make it a sticky!

#44 ·
I live in an area where winter tires are necessary and put Nokian Hakapalita R's on my 8th generation Civic. I now have a brand new Civic and will need new winter tires on rims. The way I see it, if you live in an area that gets snow regularly, winter tires are like having extra insurance (along with driving for the conditions) against accidents.

Can anyone recommend a tire that is superb on icy roads?

#46 ·
Smith's post in another thread reminded me of this one. Just reviving it to see what winter tires everyone will be getting. I'm sure there are great ones out there but I generally stick with michelin tires. costco seems to have a deal for them most of the time.

#49 ·
You can always buy used and you might even get lucky by finding a set that already comes with wheels since the cost to dismount all 4 can amount to the cost of 1 brand new steel wheel, that alone is enough to discourage someone from dismounting.

Let us know what you find.

#48 ·
i currently have WS80 (blizzaks) for my 9th gen. i have a set of WS60's for daughter's 8th gen ('07 EX coupe). i've had x-ice's on a previous car.

overall ride comfort was the michelins by far. snow/ice traction...blizzaks. michelin's worked in the snow/ice, just the blizzaks hardly ever lost traction.

best investment in my cars ever.

#51 ·
15" Wheels on Hatchback

We traded our 1999 1st generation CR-V EX on a new 2017 Hatchback LX. I kept the original equipment wheels from that car, leaving the snow tire & wheels set on the car when I handed in the keys.

These aluminum rims are 15x6JJ with +50 offset and 5x114 spherical seat nut pattern. I chose to have new General Arctic Alpins installed, size 205/65-R15, and use the 15" setup on the new Civic.

I went skinny on the tires to match the smaller 6.0" wheel width, and also because snow tires work better when narrow, so they say.

The relatively large offset of these wheels puts them inboard of the fender lip, which I happen to like because in my experience these types of tires will fling anti-skid gravel up behind the tire. I'd rather keep that mess inside the wheel well instead of chipping the body panels. It's not the best look, I'll admit. I'll post pictures later.

So I can testify that 15" wheels work fine on the hatchback LX. Since the brakes are no larger on an EX, I would think they should work just fine in that car as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.