10th Honda Civic Forum banner

Winter Tires

30K views 51 replies 25 participants last post by  Engineer Paul 
#1 ·
with winter fast approaching and already hitting in some areas, what would be the best winter/tire combo for the 10th gen? :p

figured someone had to start the discussion! might as well make it a sticky!

#3 ·
with take offs, it's easy. and hour job in the garage. and that is with a hand lug wrench! i haven't invested yet into a impact...make it faster.

the difference between winter tires and all season tires...is like trying to run a full sprint around a track with tennis shoes vs. track shoes. yes, the tennis shoes will do it, but, it could get a bit 'spirited' in the corners vs. the track shoes which are made for the track.

and don't forget, winter tires are more than just snow tires - they also help with traction at temps below 40 degrees...where all season's will lost a lot of traction below those temps. why they are called WINTER tires and not SNOW tires anymore.

#6 ·
One of the first things I changed on my car was new Pilot Sport A/S tires.These are UHP and do a adequate job in ice and snow.As a summer tire they are great.

#8 ·
Does anybody put chains on their tires for the snow?

I do! But for funsies, not for the snow. Give it a little while and more people will chime in when the site gets more members.

@DWils is a lucky guy
Thanks! But all that means is I have no idea how to drive in the snow. I think I've done it like twice in the 15 years of driving under my belt - once in a 1997 Civic LX and the other time in my 2007 Fit base that almost got stuck in a 3-inch snowbank trying to get onto the street from a parking lot.

#22 ·
The only winter tires i'm aware that they have are the Blizzaks, just like what @DBlock mentioned.

I see that they have 3 different types, entry-level, performance and commercial (trucks).

They don't have them as run flats and thankfully they don't, I hate run flats.

#29 ·
Exactly.

Them cutting those out work beautifully for people who wanted them especially at a time like now with a growing number of compacts and with that those same people looking for a cheap way to go about driving safely under those conditions. I can imagine a lot of them would only want to stick to one set of wheels and tires rather than two different sets.

#30 ·
Exactly.

Them cutting those out work beautifully for people who wanted them especially at a time like now with a growing number of compacts and with that those same people looking for a cheap way to go about driving safely under those conditions. I can imagine a lot of them would only want to stick to one set of wheels and tires rather than two different sets.
So you're happy they no longer sell Winter Rated All seasons? :confused::confused:

#32 ·
I have a 2015 Civic EXL. would like to with to 15 inch steel rims and tires for the winter dealer says no run stock 17 inch but tiara says I can run a 15" tire and wheel package that should do better in the snow than the low pro all seasons. Does anyone have any input on this? any help would be greatly appreciated

#38 ·
to Jhaze
I was going to get the steel rims and Continental Wintercontact SI 205/60-16 from tirerack. My car is a 2016 Civic touring with 17 inch rims. My question is what is the 'factory' offset for rims. The steel ones that I was quoted on Tirerack was a +42 offset. He said the offsets range from 35-50. He wouldn't tell me what the factory offset is for some reason. So I want to make sure this is a factory offset that will fit nice and have a factory look. I cannot find anywhere what the factory offset is for my car. I googled for 10 minutes. I should just take the wheel off and measure myself. But I figured someone would have this info. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.