Opinion on Engine Choice - 10th Gen Civic Forum
View Poll Results: What engine choice is best on the new civic?
Turbro 15 93.75%
Naturally Asperated 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

1Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Opinion on Engine Choice

Hi all,

I'm new. Currently drive a 2012 Golf TDI and C6 corvette. Im looking at replacing the Golf with a Honda Civic as a DD. I'm not sure what to think of the engine options.

I'd either get a near base with K20 (wife needs to borrow car so no manual unfortunately), or I might splurge on a touring and get the LED headlights and the 1.5T.

The decision really comes down to the motor. Which would you choose and why? I like the old NA motor. Reliable and mod friendly. However, a turbo usually means that a quick tune lands you 20-30 hp in half an hr with no bolt ons.

I test drove a 1.5T / CVT and it felt linear and quick.

Thoughts and opinions from owners, staff and critics alike.

Thanks,

Tarspin
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 03:39 PM

When I first had it in mind to possibly buy a new Civic I was dead set on the 2.0 L NA motor. I thought it would be the best choice for long term reliability. But after test driving the new 1.5 L turbo I was thoroughly impressed, I've never driven a Civic with as much mid-range grunt, even last year's 2.4L Si motor didn't pull as well. Any way you cut it the 1.5l motor just seems to be a better choice, and as you noted a quick tuning mod can get you a decent amount of power gains.

If I'm not mistaken both motors are Direct Injected, I've been a bit concerned about DI motors for the last while but it seems like you can't get away from them and everyone is moving towards them.

Honda has engineered some really good technology into the 1.5 l turbo motor to give it some reliability benefits, I think it will be a reliable motor in the long term as long as one takes proper care of it with regular maintenance. I have also been really impressed with the CVT tranny coupled to the 1.5L turbo, they seem to work really well together and there doesn't seem to be any performance loss from it.

2016 Coupe Touring - Blue
2002 Honda S2000 - Silver with Blue and Black custom interior. Garage Queen.
2015 Jeep daily driver workhorse.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Great, glad to hear your feedback. If I need to get an auto/CVT at least it's paired well with the 1.5T. I enjoyed the test drive that I took a few weeks back and thought it was a better package then most compact and mid sized cars.

It looks like you're driving my preferred spec. Are you still loving the blue?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS2000 View Post
If I'm not mistaken both motors are Direct Injected, I've been a bit concerned about DI motors for the last while but it seems like you can't get away from them and everyone is moving towards them.
Yes sir, you're mistaken. The 2.0 is multiport injected. Direct injection gains about 10 - 15 percent more power over port injection in a given displacement. Then again, DI engines have to contend with the oil deposits on the valves from the PCV, but a catch can should alleviate that issue. For longevity, the 2.0 is better, but the turbo boost sure would be addictive.

Ignorance is curable - but stupidity is fatal
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarspin View Post
Great, glad to hear your feedback. If I need to get an auto/CVT at least it's paired well with the 1.5T. I enjoyed the test drive that I took a few weeks back and thought it was a better package then most compact and mid sized cars.

It looks like you're driving my preferred spec. Are you still loving the blue?
The Touring package adds quite a bit of upgrades, the best probably is the seats. I find leather seats to be more supportive and the Touring seats feel great.

My wife insisted on the Blue, it is a nice colour though and I'm liking it. My other choice would have been red.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS2000 View Post
The Touring package adds quite a bit of upgrades, the best probably is the seats. I find leather seats to be more supportive and the Touring seats feel great.

My wife insisted on the Blue, it is a nice colour though and I'm liking it. My other choice would have been red.
Oh thanks for the correction, you are right about fewer deposit issues with port injected engines, and also less chance of fuel dilution issues. Two items that tend to affect many direct injected engine designs. Hopefully Honda's will do better than other makes in those regards.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Pole added
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
After owning 3 previous generations of Civics,1.8,2.0 and 2.4,when the turbo was offered I had to have it.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 04:08 PM

The top 2 things that were selling points on my EXT were apple car play and the turbo. I probably would've been satisfied with the 2.0 EX... but, i really really love how the turbo pulls.

5 Civics in 10 years. I might be an addict.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathklok View Post
after owning 3 previous generations of civics,1.8,2.0 and 2.4,when the turbo was offered i had to have it.
greedy

hiding from those who might be looking for me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page