10th Honda Civic Forum banner

450 Watt Speaker in Touring Rattling and Smacking Sound??

63K views 59 replies 35 participants last post by  xanaduus 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I just picked up an OWP Civic Touring yesterday and LOVE it. I tried out the speaker system just now with songs with bass and find that there is a loose rattling sound in the back speakers during bass. Can others with the same speaker system let me know how theirs is like? It sounds like the plastic molding might be vibrating or loose. I will be getting it checked out tomorrow or the next day but wanted to get some insight from you guys on the forum.

Thanks

#6 ·
Just picked up a Touring last night and have the exact same back vibration with the bass. In fact, it can be so bad that I have to turn the station/source at times. I'm definitely going to have the look at it early next week when they take a look at my climate temperature problem. I don't get the temperature readings on the upper left and right of my touchscreen. The heat controls work fine, but I can't tell what they are set to. They tried to look into the issue as I was doing the paper work, but couldn't figure it out before they closed for the night. They did a full computer system reboot and it didn't help. I'm hoping the temp sensors are just disconnected or something along those lines and not registering on the screen.

#7 ·
Hey Sup191, I work for Honda Automobile Customer Service. I'm sorry to hear about your issue. I would definitely have a Honda dealership check out the vehicle. Would you be able to provide me your email or best contact # so we can reach you...if you have a Twitter account, please follow and DM us. Would love to connect to see how we can help!

Thank you,

Sam

#8 ·
Thanks Sam for reply! I called in a few hours ago to my dealer here in Milwaukee and they scheduled me for a 2 pm appointment tomorrow to address both the vibrating rear deck along with the climate temperature readings not showing up on the display. I'll be sure to post back here after the service visit to let everyone know if the two situations were resolved. I'll send you my info via a PM on here.

Thanks again!

#12 · (Edited)
I received a call from the dealership's sales manager last Wednesday stating that he's aware of the issue I'm having with the rattling and despite Honda not having a resolution at this time, he's going to try setting me up with a local stereo installer (who's close to the dealership) to dynamat the back deck and eliminate the vibrations. He said he knows that Honda's response of "just turn the bass down or off" is not a satisfying answer to an obvious problem with a brand new car - especially since I have the settings on default and am not blasting the bass like I'm in a competition. He said he'd call me this week and I'm going to give him until Thursday before reaching out to him. I'll keep this thread updated with the issue until it gets resolved to possibly help anybody else experiencing the same.

#18 ·
Just received a call from my dealership's sales manager and I have an appointment tomorrow for a local professional audio shop (a block from the dealership) to look into the issue and do what needs to be done to resolve any rattling. They are also going to provide me a loaner car while the work is being done. So far, the dealership has done an excellent job of helping identify and resolve this issue. I will once again report back after the audio shop has done their work and let you know if the issue has been fully resolved.

#22 ·
OP here

Went in to the dealer and they ordered a part in for the back subwoofer speaker, tried it out and no significant changes so they are willing to order in a new stereo system to be installed into my car. Hope this helps. Now my paranoia from the stereo system is coming up in my fuel economy. I am having trouble hitting the designated numbers and also finding the fuel gauge is choppy/laggy and has a delay of a second from my actual gas pedal interaction. Am I just noticing this now or was this always present in the car? Feedback from others would set my soul at ease LOL

#23 ·
Ok, time for another update...

I went into the dealer yesterday as scheduled to have a 3rd party professional stereo installer look into the issue. I was met by the service manager who said that Honda got in contact with him (thanks to Honda Sam from this thread? :) and that Honda doesn't want a 3rd party to alter a new vehicle - my guess would be it would void the warranty. He did say that Honda is aware of the issue and will have a fix within a week. If I remember correctly, he mentioned that there were other complaints about the same vibration issue. The dealership is going to call me within the next week with an official fix from Honda.

For others having this issue, I'll let you know when my issue gets resolved. I'll ask my technician if there's any information I can pass along to this forum so others with the Touring can take their car into Honda and have this issue resolved. I'm guessing they will have the fix identifiable by some reference number...

#24 ·
Same problem here, Spent some time myself with some sticky foam strip this evening eliminating any noisy interactions and it definitely helped but there is still something underneath that rear plastic deck that is rattling.

All in all i'm about to go back and use up some more foam

Some soft targets I have tried:

Seat latch release brackets (The two you pull from the trunk)
A number of odd wires barely touching the lid (including the glowy green wire which had a metal clip loosely touching the frame)
Threw some foam to make a little buffer on the spare tool holder to cardboard bottom (Also tightened up the suicide jack so it wouldn't jangle)
Made sure spare tire holder was tight
Checked for broken clips/Loose/Rattly (Oddly whatever hose is on the left side behind the carpet was completely out of bracket)
Various places everywhere the carpet edge itself might seem to vibrate against the frame
Folded the seats down and stuffed foam under all of the wimpy plastic mini brackets on deck (Pretty sure there are more of these on the whole deck but I just got these) [Also noticed the frame layering quality was not very consistant...]
Foamed up various places around the trunk latch. (Oh god don't let it be the latch)

I can't say what helped significantly or specifically because I didn't do each one and then test, but it has definitely cut down on rattles, But still can't get loud without sounding ridiculous.

#27 ·
RESOLUTION!!

I just got back from my Honda dealer and they have corrected the bass rattling! As of right now, there is no official TSB to correct the issue, but according to the tech that worked on my car, one should be coming soon as this has become a known issue with the 2016 Tourings for Honda. On my invoice, the notes say "Removed rear deck trim cover modify cover and foam sound deadner as per Honda Zone rep."

I'm extremely happy that my dealership worked so well with Honda to resolve both my climate temperature issue and rattling issue so quickly. I hope the information I was able to provide to this thread will help others get their Touring issues fixed. Tech Line and Honda Care helped resolve the issues quickly. The Honda dealership I bought my Touring from is All-Star Honda in Milwaukee, WI. They have gone out of their way to get my issues fixed ASAP, which is why I've bought/traded in my last couple vehicles with them and will definitely go back for my next Honda. I have no affiliation with them other than just being a very happy customer.

Also, a special thanks to HondaCustSvc (Sam) for his help in getting the ball rolling to get these issues identified and fixed by Honda! :)

#33 ·
I went in to the dealer today to have them check out the subwoofer rattle. I told them which song (Hotel California live version) and what volume. After an hour and a half they said nothing was wrong so I insisted I show them with audio from my phone, since I doubt the youtube version they were playing was very high quality. The first person tried to explain that it was just the speaker hitting the plastic, which I said was actually worse. The service manager came out and after confirming the rattle put some foam under deck through the trunk. After he went and got more to put in it seemed to sound fine. He closed the trunk, I thanked them and I started playing music before driving off. It was worse now! Instead of a rattle it was a buzzing. He came back out and this time he closed the trunk while he worked, moving pieces of foam as I kept playing the intro of the song. He showed me where it was putting the foam, around the plug for the brake light. After confirming that the sound was ok with the trunk open and closed, I drove home blasting different music to really put it to the test. I'm a happy camper. Huge thanks to Ritchie at Honda of Tenafly. I've attached photos for those who want to attempt the fix themselves.

Attachments

#36 ·
So I took my 2016 civic touring into my dealership this past Monday and asked them to fix my rattling in my subwoofer and I showed them the fix that was listed on here. They of course said they did not hear it and stated that when a tsp comes out they will fix it.? Of course I am a hard headed woman and WILL NOT STOP until it is fixed so I will call them again tomorrow and ask when do they want to fix it- cause I am bringing it back in. I might add I just got the car less than a week ago! Any ideas would be appreciated- and my passenger front door speaker also has a rattle with base turned up.

#37 ·
To fix this I just bought some Dynamat and will have it installed next week. I plan on putting half an Xtreme Bulk Pack in each cars trunk. It's a bit over the top to just kill rattle, but I plan on putting two full Xtreme Bulk Packs in each car in addition to what we're putting in the trunk.

This will improve sound quality from each speaker, reduce road noise, and improve overall sound in the cabin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.