10th Honda Civic Forum banner

Mishimoto 2016+ Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Intake Development

42K views 78 replies 19 participants last post by  Mishimoto 
#1 · (Edited)
Mishimoto 2016+ Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Performance Intake Development

The Civic Has Boost! Performance Intake R&D, Part 1: Stock System

As some of you already know, we have finally been graced with a brand new 2016 Honda Civic with the 1.5L turbo engine! We have planned our R&D process for the design of a performance intake and we are starting this project by dissecting the stock system so we can learn as much as possible. Let’s jump right in!

The Stock Intake

Honda has done an excellent job with their new Earth Dreams 1.5L motor. This turbocharged engine has a power output rated at an impressive 174hp, which is a nice amount of power for this new-age Civic. We are very excited about this chassis and we are eager to dig in and develop an awesome intake that will provide easy bolt-on power. Let’s check out some shots of the stock system on the car.

The intake has simple routing, but the system is more complex than you might think – we will get to that in a bit. You’ll notice that part of the intake piping is routed right over the turbocharger. In our design, we will opt to leave this part of the system alone so as to help with heat soak. Check out some images below.

Once we removed the desired pieces, we found a good amount of space to work with on our intake design.

Another pretty interesting design feature is the way that air is diverted to the intake. On the front driver-side part of the hood, a small rubber diversion plate is located right above the intake inlet. We had to be sure that this air diversion was indeed the purpose of this piece, as that is crucial to how we will go about designing this intake.

As we closed the hood, you can see in the shot above that the plate is placed right next to the vented area, which is empty space that air passes through. So, the air comes into that space via the front grille. Check out an image below that was taken from behind that area.

Let’s dive into the stock system components a bit more. Below is an image of the entire system.

The top half on the right is the intake where the air passes into the airbox. This is also the location of the air filter. The bottom half on the left is the resonator that attaches to the intake. It is more common in modern cars to have resonators incorporated in stock intake systems. They enhance the sound of the engine inside the cabin by means of specific frequencies.

Let’s see more in-depth images of these 2016 Honda Civic parts!

To wrap up this introductory post, let’s go over the goals we have set for this project.

Goals

Include a fully enclosed airbox

We want to be sure that this Civic is getting the coolest air possible. Since this is a very tight and compact engine bay, it is important that we keep things cool with this intake, so an enclosed airbox is a necessity.

Utilize the factory air duct
Utilizing the factory air duct is important here. There is already a design in place for directing fresh air into the stock intake, so why not make use of that in our design?

Replace only the top portion
The top half of the stock intake looks simple enough, however, removing the resonator was a complex task. We’d like to keep the resonator exactly where it is, which will keep the install easier and also reduce the number of parts that need to be removed from the car.

What’s next?

We will be designing and testing a prototype to see what kind of improvements we can make. Up next, our prototype design!

Thanks for reading!

See less See more
#43 ·
Is there any drone issues with this intake?

#46 ·
Thanks @Tog! We didn't hear any drone during our testing, nor have there been any mentions of it from those who have purchased this kit. It will wake up your EarthDreams engine under acceleration though! Sounds pretty great, check out our dyno video!

[/QUOTE]

What is the weight of the Mishimoto kit compared to the OEM parts?
It's hard to exactly say because we did not weigh all total components. Our Civic we tested our prototype on had the resonator removed, which was a large part of the entire box. The weight disparity might be different from application to application. I can say that in terms of the intake box / pipe / components (stock vs Mishimoto) the weight difference is negligible and will not affect the front end weight balance of the car.

#47 ·
Well I bought your intake.Ill be tuning my EX-T when Flash Pro is released and post the results

#48 ·
To the Mishimoto rep, I'd like to know if the car still dyno's similar numbers after say a couple months of testing ? On some modern cars I've seen immediate gains in back to back dyno runs, only to have power return to stock levels after the car's ECU adjusts for the extra air flow that it detects. Seeing that Honda as move to MAF from MAP sensors it may be more sensitive at detecting changes in air flow. I'd love to know if your intake still dyno's similar numbers after some real world driving. This is the only thing holding me back from an intake mod. Thanks for any reply on this.

#49 · (Edited)
If I remember correctly 14.ish AFR is normal.And 13.ish AFR for WOT.And I'm sure that the ECU will in time try to bring the stock AFR back to normal.There are so many settings in play like closed loop etc in in the fuel tables.I believe that Vit Viper uses the MAP sensor method when he tune instead of the AFR method that uses the MAF sensor.Its been a while since I've had a car tuned though.Like I said I will be posting detailed information on my Mishimoto intake prior to tune with a edyo and a edyno after the flash Pro.Im real excited about this intake design and the install looks real easy as.The intake will be here Tuesday and should have it installed before the weekend.Un related sorta but Ive been in touch with Rich from RV6 the manufacturer of my SI Catted Downpipe and he tells me they have castings for a Downpipe for our 1.5-T in the works.They make great products made here in the USA.

#50 ·
Look forward to any report you can provide once it's up and running with the new addition. Thanks for moving ahead with this.

#51 ·
Probably the best design intake Ive installed outa 6 on the last three Civics.Great online instructions.Im really happy in full boost.

Attachments

Reactions: Mishimoto
#53 ·
A little bit more sound,no drone and more umph in boost.Ive put intakes on all my past R18 engines and they always had a freeway drone from at 3000-3700 RPM so I'm pleased this doesn't but I'm sure its cause all the piping leading to the intake throttle body.

#56 ·
Very much appreciated, we're glad you are enjoying the intake!! Looks pretty sweet in your bay!
Thanks I'll also post HP after flash Pro:+1:?

#58 ·
Heatsoak may happen while stationery but as soon as the car is moving it is getting cool outside air from the front grill area as it uses the OEM air supply area and is a high pressure area....................the intercooler will make the incoming air charge what it needs to be..........if you want plastic get AFE, if you want a well designed one get Mishimoto. Just my .02 but have been around the car "scene" for decades from SRT10 Viper trucks, R32, Si and so on.

#60 ·
Yes there is a reason, they are racing and generating a lot more heat than these cars ever will and they also go 1/4 mile at a time, or a lap at a time no chance to cool things down properly. So now they are race cars.........most if not all turbo inlet/outlet and intercooler piping is metal and not wrapped with no ill effects. We're talking a 1.5l Honda civic turbo not a 700+hp race car........

#63 · (Edited)
Hmm interesting.

#67 ·
Ditto thanks Guys^^^^

#68 ·
Man this thing looks good and glad to see Deathlok and others put it in themselves. Hopefully I can get this for christmas from my wife!!!! Any chance there is going to be a Christmas special? I noticed I missed the presale price which was an awesome deal.

Reactions: Cabeldude
#69 ·
Super easy install plus Mishimoto instructional video made it a breeze to install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.