Just drove the EX-T up here in Canada - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Just drove the EX-T up here in Canada

I like the look except the high amount of chrome in the grille. The rear, especially 3/4 view I found better in person.
The engine is noisy under load and can't stand the CVT. You mash the gas and all it comes out is noise for a few seconds.
To bad there is no manual or DSG for the turbo trims.
There isn't much feel in the steering initially but once into the corner it has good feedback even for the lateral load, better than last two generation Civics.
Where it really shines is stability. I haven't felt a chassis so well planted since the Prelude. And it caught me by surprise because, unlike past Hondas, this one doesn't feel light footed.
I really pushed through a couple of corners and it just took it with no roll.
It has great cornering capability.

Unfortunately there are no more springy "tumbs" in the cup colders. My 07 has them and they do wonders.
I love how low the driver seat goes, but the passenger seat is too low.

For me it'll be a hard decision because I will only buy one with manual transmission.
The 2.0l models seem to sit a bit higher off the ground and that makes me worry the suspension is softer, which I don't want.
I want a hatchback anyways and hope the trims wil fit my needs and preferences.
I guess I'll just have to wait and see the trims on offer for the hatch.
Tim and Chitown Drifter like this.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolude View Post
I like the look except the high amount of chrome in the grille. The rear, especially 3/4 view I found better in person.
The engine is noisy under load and can't stand the CVT. You mash the gas and all it comes out is noise for a few seconds.
To bad there is no manual or DSG for the turbo trims.
There isn't much feel in the steering initially but once into the corner it has good feedback even for the lateral load, better than last two generation Civics.
Where it really shines is stability. I haven't felt a chassis so well planted since the Prelude. And it caught me by surprise because, unlike past Hondas, this one doesn't feel light footed.
I really pushed through a couple of corners and it just took it with no roll.
It has great cornering capability.

Unfortunately there are no more springy "tumbs" in the cup colders. My 07 has them and they do wonders.

For me it'll be a hard decision because I will only buy one with manual transmission.
The 2.0l models seem to sit a bit higher off the ground and that makes me worry the suspension is softer, which I don't want.
I want a hatchback anyways and hope the trims wil fit my needs and preferences.
I guess I'll just have to wait and see the trims on offer for the hatch.
Good impression write up.

Speaking from experience, the CVT takes a little getting used to. I still wish they'd opted for the DCT, but, it's honda... lol. Glad to hear about the cornering and nice flat ride it has, being compared to a legend like the prelude is quite the endorsement.

I'll miss the little springy things in the cup holders too, but, they probably had to remove that mechanism so the cupholders could be removable, which i care about slightly more because mine always get so much gross stuff down in them and it's a pain to clean them.

The only reason i could imagine the 2.0 feeling higher up is the fatter tires on the smaller rims. They might add a little bit to ride height. I think the suspensions are the same across the board except for the rear sway bars being thicker as the trims go up.

5 Civics in 10 years. I might be an addict.

Last edited by RobbJK88; 11-16-2015 at 03:09 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbJK88 View Post
Good impression write up.

Speaking from experience, the CVT takes a little getting used to. I still wish they'd opted for the DCT, but, it's honda... lol. Glad to hear about the cornering and nice flat ride it has, being compared to a legend like the prelude is quite the endorsement.

The only reason i could imagine the 2.0 feeling higher up is the fatter tires on the smaller rims. They might add a little bit to ride height. I think the suspensions are the same across the board except for the rear sway bars being thicker as the trims go up.
Yes, the big stand out for me was how the chassis didn't get upset on turns. A good surprise since the suspension is not stiff, maybe between the 8th and 9th gen, but I could be wrong on this one.
While it doesn't have the sharpness an none of the steering feel of the Prelude it does have the stability, I'll stand by that. Used to drive one daily.

Surely the fender gap is bigger on models with smaller wheels, which in turn makes the car look higher off the ground.
I tried to gauge the hight of the front bumper in the showroom and it seemed the turbo trims it were a tiny bit lower. Hope I'm wrong.

I feel is a much better car than previous generation. We have a 9th gen in family and I don't like it one bit.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolude View Post
Yes, the big stand out for me was how the chassis didn't get upset on turns. A good surprise since the suspension is not stiff, maybe between the 8th and 9th gen, but I could be wrong on this one.
While it doesn't have the sharpness an none of the steering feel of the Prelude it does have the stability, I'll stand by that. Used to drive one daily.

Surely the fender gap is bigger on models with smaller wheels, which in turn makes the car look higher off the ground.
I tried to gauge the hight of the front bumper in the showroom and it seemed the turbo trims it were a tiny bit lower. Hope I'm wrong.

I feel is a much better car than previous generation. We have a 9th gen in family and I don't like it one bit.
I had a 95 civic (amazing little car, slow as crap, handled like it was glued to the road, never felt unbalanced or unstable). Then i had 2 8th gens, a coupe and a sedan. Definitely preferred the stiffer suspension of the coupe, but again, was a fun car. Handled well, took corners well, no body roll, felt planted and never bouncy. The sedan was good too just a bit softer all around.

I've had 2 9th gens as well. Sedan and now a coupe. Sedan was rubbish... quieter than my 8th gens were and that's about the only good thing. Suddenly i felt like i was bouncing over bumps in the road, back end would get squirrely, etc. Coupe is a bit better handling than the sedan was, but again, doesn't feel as stable or planted as my old civics and can't push it to the same limits without tire squeal.

Really looking forward to the 10th gen. (getting a coupe) that will blend the best parts of my 2 favorites my 95 and my 07 coupe, but with all the added tech and features.

5 Civics in 10 years. I might be an addict.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I had a 95 civic (amazing little car, slow as crap, handled like it was glued to the road, never felt unbalanced or unstable). Then i had 2 8th gens, a coupe and a sedan. Definitely preferred the stiffer suspension of the coupe, but again, was a fun car. Handled well, took corners well, no body roll, felt planted and never bouncy. The sedan was good too just a bit softer all around.

I've had 2 9th gens as well. Sedan and now a coupe. Sedan was rubbish... quieter than my 8th gens were and that's about the only good thing. Suddenly i felt like i was bouncing over bumps in the road, back end would get squirrely, etc. Coupe is a bit better handling than the sedan was, but again, doesn't feel as stable or planted as my old civics and can't push it to the same limits without tire squeal.

Really looking forward to the 10th gen. (getting a coupe) that will blend the best parts of my 2 favorites my 95 and my 07 coupe, but with all the added tech and features.
it felt like it was glued because you had no power... bicycles will carve yo
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Wow, you are on a Civic rampage.
I owned a 95 Integra, 2001 Prelude, still own a 07 CSX Type S(KW supercharged). As a daily I have a leased Mazda3 now since I needed a hatchback and no matter how I tried to like the Fit, there was no contest. Just don't trust Mazda enough to buy.
Completely agree with you on the handling of older Hondas. Double wishbones will always trump struts.

I don't want to jump too soon to conclusions, but since the Mazda3 was winning all comparos, it may be safe to say the new Civic is best in class.
Since handling is so important for me, I have to say the Mazda is still more playful, sharper on initial turn in, while the Civic is solid, composed and very competent, very planted mid turn.

While it may not be immediately obvious when one just goes for a test drive(magazine tests too) it shows for sure once you spend more time in the car.
I have found a few flaws in the Mazda that I never had in any of my Hondas.
RobbJK88 likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:02 PM

the Honda is almost eager to turn in, at least thats what I felt. Yea the steering weights up nicely cornering with some speed.
RobbJK88 likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Are they not the same height? Or do you think one seat should be at a different height than the other?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil View Post
Are they not the same height? Or do you think one seat should be at a different height than the other?
The passenger seat is not adjustable, so the driver's can be set higher. Didn't look at what setting the driver's seat is same hight with passenger's.
I like to sit low when driving but for a passenger it is too low, it puts a bit of a strain on one's back.

Last edited by absolude; 11-17-2015 at 06:39 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 01:42 PM

I had a 01 Prelude too. The seating is low in the 16 Civic but I don't think it is as low as the Prelude. It is however it is close to the ground for a family sedan. I hope that is not a negative for any potential customers who are used the trend of a higher seating position.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page