Touch Controlled Window Tint - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Touch Controlled Window Tint

Seems Honda has applied for a patent pertaining to a new system that allows you to control the shading or tint of the window with your finger. Dragging the finger across the window can control how much of the window you want shaded and the opacity of it. Works on the side windows as well as the windshield which should be pretty darn interesting !

Think we'll be seeing these on future Civics ?

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 09:05 AM

Maybe like the 14th gen civics lol. We'll see it on Acura first... then Pilot and Accord... then eventually it'll trickle down to civic and CRV like all honda's new tech does. It's certainly interesting. Would definitely be a feature reserved for Touring models i'd venture a guess.

5 Civics in 10 years. I might be an addict.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 09:15 AM

well, lane watch came out on the smaller cars first...then found itself in the higher end models later...when the next generation was launched...

so...it it works..that would be cool, but i doubt it gets very dark...

hiding from those who might be looking for me

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear24 View Post
well, lane watch came out on the smaller cars first...then found itself in the higher end models later...when the next generation was launched...

so...it it works..that would be cool, but i doubt it gets very dark...

It'll either not work at all, or it'll work too well. All the windows go totally opaque mid drive at 70mph.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 02:38 PM

I seen Windows like that in the Edison Museum in Philadelphia in the early 80's.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

I remember seeing the electronic remote controlled ones I think for window tint.. those were weird. Never seen them really made into any sort of production though lol. I recently seen a washroom in Japan utilizing it for their stall doors though haha !
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 08:20 AM

Seems like an interesting idea, but would it not be easier to just use similar technology found in those shade changing sunglasses? Have a feature that allows you to turn it on and off, but once on it could match the tint to the outside light levels.
RobbJK88 likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tires View Post
Seems like an interesting idea, but would it not be easier to just use similar technology found in those shade changing sunglasses? Have a feature that allows you to turn it on and off, but once on it could match the tint to the outside light levels.
I've thought of this too. Why we don't make large scale windows/car windows/etc with the brightness adjusting glass that gets darker based on the amount of sunlight they're exposed to.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tires View Post
That would be interesting. The "photogray" technology (I think) changes due to sunlight exposure, and the only way to stop it would be to block the UV, IR, or whatever part of sunlight that causes the shift. Like the darkening glasses, there is no user interface or way to control it. The Feds would likely disapprove of it for US cars.
RobbJK88 likes this.

Ignorance is curable - but stupidity is fatal
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 08:39 AM

It's an interesting thought, during the manufacturing process limit the amount of tint the glass can achieve to 30% (think that's the legal limit) and just install that. Then again, I'm not familiar with "photogray" technology so maybe there is no way to control it.

Would be a nice feature I'd go for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page