10th Honda Civic Forum banner

Hondata Flash Pro 1.5T thread

119K views 122 replies 42 participants last post by  Jhonny 
#1 · (Edited)
I'd like to start a official thread to discuss Hondata Flash Pro for the 1.5-T.We can discuss the Hondata Flash and the Flash Pro tuner.

#45 · (Edited)
Here is a helpful Video on tuning basics from Hondata.

#46 ·
Is it available for the civic hatch sport 6sp as well? It comes with a duel center exhaust which adds some power so I'm not sure if they have to make a a different tune for that. Also a lot of my 9th gen friends are telling me that if I don't get a pro tune on a dunk with hondata my engine may possibly get damaged, is that true? Or is the MAP hondata made good to run on a daily basis without an issue?

#47 ·
Yes, the FlashPro works on all the hatchback trims as well (since they all use the 1.5T motor). The basemaps Hondata made are very robust and reliable, and should give you no issues. Also keep in mind this 1.5T motor is very well designed and we are confident it can handle 300hp (in fact we've heard that Honda actually durability tested the motor to that amount).

#48 ·
Have you guys seen the numbers Vit has put down on the dyno on 91 octane? Last one I saw was 240 hp and over 280 ft/lb of torque on an unmodded base 1.5t.

BTW, I'm new on 10th but I've been in civic's since '03 with my last being a '10 Si with bolt ons and Vit tuned on FP. Next car is going to be a 10th hatch sport in manual.

#49 ·
Oh yea he's pushing the platform.Ive been working with Vit on my EXT we've done a 87 octane tune so far.

#51 · (Edited)
Went for Hondata reflash instead of full flashpro as this car isn't going to be seeing a lot of future mods so I'm banking on not needing any tweeks in the future. Very happy with how it feels so far. A bit traction limited at the moment so it isn't really faster from a stop, but I love the extra torque out on the highway and the engine just feels more eager in general :)

Base Hondata tune for 91oct/6psi on EX-T coupe.
As always, much thanks to the folks out at King Motorsports!

#54 ·
Buddy of mine picked up the Hatch sport last week. He told me that the dealer (official honda dealer) is becoming an official reseller\installer including Hondata. If this holds true, that's amazing. I just wish there was a way to fact check. Has anyone see or heard of a Honda dealership working with Hondata to flash cars?

#56 ·
HondaProJason said this in his official test of the Hondata Civic he did so there is lots of truth to the statement that Honda dealers will soon become official Hondata Dealers as well.

#55 ·
What dealership is he referring to?

#59 ·
Hey guys anyone here with a CVT do a tune? I plan on tunning my after my warranty is up or maybe just get the flash pro so i can reflash incase of anything. Anywho I was wondering if anyone knew how well the CVT would hold up? i dont plan on doing anything extreme but 200-210HP and 230-240 LB torque would be nice....

#61 · (Edited)
The base maps included with the FlashPro will give you a greaet bump in power for your CVT model, while still maintaining reliability and fuel economy (during normal driving). With 91 octane gas, the +6 PSI included base map produces an amazing 25 hp / 35 lb-ft on CVT models. Also, with the FlashPro you can easily and quickly reflash to a different tune, like +3 PSI, or even back to stock, without going to a tuner or sending in your ECU.

If you want a custom tune from a tuner, the FlashPro can do that too - just stop by an Authorized Hondata Dealer or request an eTune.

Here is the product link for more info: http://www.procivic.com/p/m/civic/hondata-flashpro.html

#60 ·
My CVT EXT is tuned with the Ktuner.I started with Flash Pro but switched because Ktuner has more table adjustments.Im putting out 20 PSI of boost at 100% Throttle.Im tuned to the safest possible level for the CVT.

#62 ·
Thanks!!! always great to have testimony! i think i might do the flaspro, just for warranty reasons so i can switch back.

The base maps included with the FlashPro will give you a greaet bump in power for your CVT model, while still maintaining reliability and fuel economy (during normal driving). With 91 octane gas, the +6 PSI included base map produces an amazing 25 hp / 35 lb-ft on CVT models. Also, with the FlashPro you can easily and quickly reflash to a different tune, like +3 PSI, or even back to stock, without going to a tuner or sending in your ECU.

If you want a custom tune from a tuner, the FlashPro can do that too - just stop by an Authorized Hondata Dealer or request an eTune.

Here is the product link for more info: https://www.procivic.com/p/m/civic/hondata-flashpro.html

Thanks!!! very helpful information!! you guys are awesome.

#63 ·
Quick question about the Flashpro.
If you buy the full package directly from Hondata... are you able to take your copy of the license and take it to a local tune shop and use that license (Hondata approved vendor)?
I know if you buy a vendor license copy, it only works at that shop.

Wasn't sure how that works.

#64 ·
If you buy the flashpro the license is on the device and you or your shop can load a map on the car.

If you get the less expensive Hondata reflash, there is no hardware and you buy it from an approved vendor who uses their license and hardware.

Both use the same base maps, both can be edited, difference is that the flashpro is your license, so you or your shop can make future changes and all you need to pay for is the tuning time. Reflash you'd have to pay the $300 again to use the shops license plus the tuning time.

Flashpro hardware also has datalogging built in, so there is some extra functionality.

#68 ·
Hondata lists it as a competition only product that is not CARB exempt, so they aren't making any guarantees, and NY has adopted the CARB standard, so your car would technically be in violation. If they only do a visual inspection and a error code check, you should be fine. No idea what effect the standard tune has on actual emissions.

Would be interesting to see data from a sniffer check on a +6 tune vs stock.

#70 ·
Hi guys,

Received my Flashpro the other day but the ECM in my UK Civic is not yet compatible :-(
Couple emails to the guys at Hondata and should be sorted by Tuesday :)
Although I haven't actually had any fun with my car and the Flashpro yet, the support has been brilliant so far

Anyone else using it in the UK?

#71 ·
Newbie here, not to driving I've been around the block too many times to count, but new to this forum and Honda. I have a stock 2016 (10th Gen) Civic Touring CVT coupe. I've done as much on-line research as I could relative to the FlashPro, now I'm seeking real life experience from you guys/gals. I'm fairly satisfied with its overall performance, but with one BIG exception...that annoying torque lag ! I've read about the Hp/ torque increases, but most of them seemed to be with manual transmissions with additional engine mods. So, my questions are: does it have very similar results with a stock CVT, and most of all...does it "eliminate" that obnoxious torque lag ?!

#72 ·
You are experiencing the the phenomenon known as "owning a CVT" Also its a little bit of turbo lag. When you mash the throttle the CVT searches for the optimal "gear" Thats part of the lag and then the turbo has to build boost as well. Honda has boost target dampening to protect the CVT from immediate high loads of torque that are bad for the CVT and its belt. From what Ive read Hondata does not allow you to turn off the that dampening. Now, I have a FlashPro and run the +6 psi High octane base tune and it worlds better than stock. For most people this will be fine. there is another tuner called Ktuner that has different levels of boost target dampening on it tunes. Some people are now messing with that. You do gain good HP and torque numbers on the CVT as well, but the MT can just take more torque than a CVT.

#73 ·
I think I read that Hondata lowers the initial spool start by 500 rpm's, so that will lessen the lag. Welcome to the Forum Jasper, as for additional hardware this gen breaths pretty good with OEM air box, no proven HP gains on any aftermarket yet, but they do sound and look better. Not alot of exhausts out yet, but I would expect the same results as the air box. Now if you want to dump a lot more fuel into the engine then yes it will need to breath more and bolt on's will do their job, but I don't think the CVT will hold up.

#74 ·
Thanks Dallas....doesn't seem like it's worth the risk for the $$$ involved and the potential questionable results. BTW...I spoke with a Hondata dealer and he disagreed with you, but he wanted $500 in addition to the cost of the software to properly install/tune the car with HondaPro. I guess I'll just try to live (hopefully, not die) with the turbo lag !

#76 ·
Cost and and negatives?

Hello, I am new to this thread and had few questions regarding the Hondata. How much does it cost? Do you recommend to buy the Hondata yourself or go to a tuning shop and get it done there?

Would this void Warranty?

lastly, if I tune the car, are there any downside of where it ruins the engine in the long run?

Thank you!

#77 ·
https://www.10thcivicforum.com/foru...-tuned-civic-sport-more-powerful-than-si.html See this ad for price. Yes if you have an engine or transmission failure on a reprogrammed ECU Honda can void the warranty on those repairs. Having said that, it would be an argument over whether or not the failure was because of the tune or something else, but you would be at their mercy.
Hondata offers a tune on a stock car(no mods) or a tune on known mods(cold air intake,exhaust) of different brands. You will be able to pick different levels of tune and you will see improvements from mild to Wilde. Now, not every car runs exactly the same from the factory and not all mods are the same, so to get the most out of your engine you would pay the extra fee and get your car etuned, this would be a base tune tweeked to just you car, based on ECU data-logging.
Lastly, if you leave your car bone stock and drive the snot out of it it wont last long, if you tune it and drive the snot out of it, it will ruin it even quicker. But if you take care of of it and don't abuse it there will be no ill effects from a tune, the engine will actually be running better than factory.

#78 ·
Okay so I've followed every post on this thread and still have a couple questions since I'm new to tuning. I have a 2017 Civic EXT 6 speed.

If you buy the flashpro for $650 or whatever it's at, can you retune the car as many times as you want? Or do you have to pay extra $$$ every time you want to tune. For example to go to +6 psi and then back to stock. Or if I tuned it now and then added an intake later on would I be able to retune my car with the same flashpro? Or would I have to buy something again.

Also a service rep at the Honda dealership by my house said that if you tune your car and somehing goes wrong you can just tune it back to stock so it doesn't void any warranty. Does this sound true?

#79 · (Edited)
You can re-tune the car yourself (or load other base maps) as many times as you want for no charge at all.

Your second question is a bit tough to answer. Since we are not a Honda dealer, I think it would be best if you ask your dealership again. In regards to aftermarket parts and warranties, here is the law as we understand it:

Under Federal Law (the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 to be specific) it is illegal for a dealer to deny you warranty coverage just because you installed an aftermarket part. To deny warranty, the dealer must reasonably prove the part to be a potential cause of the specific problem you are requesting warranty for. Even then, they can only deny warranty for components associated with the failed part(s), not for your whole car.

#80 ·
After much research, contemplation and consternation, I had a Reflash done on my 2016 CVT touring coupe. Since the car is stock (no mods) and I plan on keeping that way I decided against the more expensive FlashPro...the Reflash was done by an authorized FlashPro dealer for $300.00
So, is it worth ???????? I guess that depends on your expectations. My main objective/expectation was to help improve/minimize some of the lag/hesitating from either the turbo or the CVT knowing that it would most likely not have much of an affect on the CVT. Let me put it this way; on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best), I would rate it a 6 for accomplishing my objective. Since most of the (minor) hesitation is related to the CVT, neither the FlashPro nor the Reflash would directly do much. However, the overall improvement in performance is noticeably significant. The power gains certainly can be felt especially at mid-to-high RPM's (I did not dyno). So, if I was to rate it for overall performance, about an 8.5 is a fair assessment. It might just be physiological, but the overall performance upgrade also seems to have helped with some of the lag/hesitating. BTW...for the best gains, the installer tuned the ECU for 93 octane. I had been using 91...my MPG has improve slightly so the cost factor is counteracted. And no, I'm not the least bit concerned about CVT damage as I believe that the research and development by Hondadata factored that into their design of the FlashPro. I'm thinking that damage may be more prone to happen with other after market mods in addition.

#82 · (Edited)
After much research, contemplation and consternation, I had a Reflash done on my 2016 CVT touring coupe. Since the car is stock (no mods) and I plan on keeping that way I decided against the more expensive FlashPro...the Reflash was done by an authorized FlashPro dealer for $300.00

So, is it worth ???????? I guess that depends on your expectations...

...Since most of the (minor) hesitation is related to the CVT, neither the FlashPro nor the Reflash would directly do much.
I quoted three lines here for three comments:

1) This might all be a good argument for investing in the FlashPro vs. "a flash" at a dealer. For one thing - having the FlashPro might allow you to make additional tweaks and flashes to address some of your remaining concerns.
But it also allows you to restore back to stock, just to avoid headaches at dealerships... and while I might be advocating the "two wrongs don't equal a right" approach, I'd prefer not to give the stealership any reason to deny warranty coverage that you certainly are paying for as a part of that car payment.

2) "Worth the money" is not necessarily tied to expectations... the "worth the money" is in relation to what it does. Whether what it does aligns with what you personally want is a whole different story. If it doesn't do what you personally want, saying that it's only 60% "worth the money" is perhaps a bit unfair... but I think just an inadvertent wording choice on your part.

That being said - I get what you are saying, and really appreciate your details. They help qualify your statement, and provide helpful info for us future-planners... it'll help me set my own personal expectations for sure. Well described, and thanks. :cool:

3) I have read this "...blame is on the CVT, not the turbo..." type statement several times from several people. In many ways the two are so intertwined, makes it a little less cut and dried than these statements. As with any automatic, it's in large part shifting based on what it "feels"/senses from the engine and throttle, and perhaps even more than your traditional automatic, it responds more or less aggressively based on software that's doing that "feeling". The difference in what happens when you have it in "S" vs "D"... that is transmission software. Then note "Eco" feels slower-shifting again, but in that case my understanding is it's solely an engine tune, and the CVT is responding accordingly based on the engine parameters.

That being said...
I'd love clarification on whether the Hondata tune(r) does, or does not allow you to adjust the parameters that sharpen up the CVT response - either directly or indirectly? Is the Transmission really controlled by a wholly separate ECU/BCU?

Personally, a "dream tune" in my opinion would be:
  • "S" - Hondata tune with aggressive CVT response (and manual hold with the paddles)
  • "D" - Hondata tune with daily-driving/commuting CVT response
  • "D"/ Eco - Stock tune with stock CVT response.
Is that possible (or is that possibly even exactly what the latest Hondata update provided)?

#81 ·
Nice I have a CVT as well so that is good info to get. Helps when deciding what product to buy. The CVT alongside the turbo on this engine is not bad at all and some people might look down on the CVT because its considered the least fun engine to drive even though its design its actually pretty genius for what it does. The downside though of the CVT is its limited to how much strain you can put in the engine in comparison to the MT so if people buy the CVT hoping to build an engine with 300+hp and torque then they will sadly be let down. I would also consider the light weight of the car which also adds to making the car seem fast so enough though you might not be able to build as high of a performing engine its still quite fun to drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.