Third Brake light cover coming off - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 21Likes

post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Third Brake light cover coming off

I noticed this yesterday.
The cover on the inside of the car for the third brake light is coming off.
I put back up but the glue used on the sides seems to be inadequate.
It came down again.
Going to make a appointment for next week.
2016 LX-P coupe.
post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 05:44 PM

I read in another forum that this is an issue with the coupe. Here is the post:

My 3rd brake lamp cover on my Touring Coupe came loose on the left hand side after the first 1000 miles *and* a trip to Death Valley. I could have claimed warranty but I generally don't like anyone else working on my cars. I too thought that the Scotch mounting tape from Autozone would do the trick. It did until the window got hot from the sun and I was going over a rough road. The issue seems to be heat. After checking out the specs. of the various Scotch tapes online I ended up buying Scotch #4008 for it's high temp. spec. This part might be overkill but I used the tape in combination with Scotch 3X extreme Velcro fastener from Home Depot. This will add a slight thickness over the original material holding up the cover so the cover is slightly lower but it still seals. After 3000 miles the cover is still holding strong. I suspect that there will be more coupe owners reporting the same problem.
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 12:47 PM

I have the same problem and less than 500 miles on my car. Honda has replaced the sticky tape twice now but in the Florida sun this is not an adequate solution. They have no better solutions as of yet...frustrating to say the least especially when you have the windows down and it constantly hits the window as it bounces!
post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 01:02 PM

I really hope this is due to something simple enough like a clip that wasn't big enough do to its job instead of something to do with the whole assembly since that will take a long time to resolve.
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevangelisto View Post
I have the same problem and less than 500 miles on my car. Honda has replaced the sticky tape twice now but in the Florida sun this is not an adequate solution. They have no better solutions as of yet...frustrating to say the least especially when you have the windows down and it constantly hits the window as it bounces!
I'm in NH.
Had a 7am appointment today to get this fixed they re glued it with extra strength glue. Total time at the dealer 1 hour.
The service adviser told me that this is a issue with the coupes.
Smith and RedCivicTouringMA like this.
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:28 AM

Hopefully that glue will hold and that the job they did was done properly. Sometimes when it comes to using glue some dealers can get messy with it. Although it's not glue, i've seen a bead of windshield silicone not layed down properly. Fortunately what we're dealing with here is much more forgiving.
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 01:36 PM

My coupe was in for service yesterday about this so I figured I would update. Apparently when honda switched the coupes over to the long brakelights they were required by the DOT to put a third light so many inches above. The slope of the window made it so that this light had to be placed at the top. Honda threw the cover on because the glare from the lights obviously affects the window because it is high up. My dealership told me this was a design flaw and that the 17s will not have this problem.

They too put a heavy dose of epoxy on it and I am pretty sure the glue now will outlast the vehicle!
RedCivicTouringMA likes this.
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith View Post
Hopefully that glue will hold and that the job they did was done properly. Sometimes when it comes to using glue some dealers can get messy with it. Although it's not glue, i've seen a bead of windshield silicone not layed down properly. Fortunately what we're dealing with here is much more forgiving.
Their fix FAILED 4 hours later,
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 10:10 PM

Garage
That sucks, I hope you'll be taking it back in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 Rallye Red Honda Civic Touring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Western Massachusetts USA

post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCivicTouringMA View Post
That sucks, I hope you'll be taking it back in?
Wednesday morning my next day off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page