"Rattling" noise upon start and around 1500 RPMs - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Angry "Rattling" noise upon start and around 1500 RPMs

I have been hearing a rattling sound somewhat sporadically, but it seems to be happening more often. I have a 2016 EX-T, and I took it in to the dealer, but "they couldn't re-create the problem." I even drove it around with the mechanic and it wasn't making the noise, even though it was the entire drive to the dealer. It typically makes the sound around 1500 RPMs (give or take) and usually when I am very very lightly accelerating. I have also noticed that it happens sometimes when I turn the car on and it is just idling. Sometimes it is off-and-on and sometimes it can be constant for 2-3 minutes.

I have been able to catch it on video, and have recorded it with my phone, the sound is surprisingly very noticeable.

Does anyone have ideas on what could be causing this, or have you come across this problem also?

Thanks!
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 02:42 PM

Perhaps a heat shield or something ?? That's really odd

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 09:56 PM

Just bought a 16 Civic LX 2.0 on Saturday, July 2nd for my niece who is 17. Test Drive went great, loved the car and thought it'd be perfect for her! She's about to go to college. I've had 7 Civics in the past and 13 or so Hondas. I'm a Honda Fan, even though I currently drive a Lexus. We Signed the paperwork, they detailed the car, and we were on the way home about 2 hours later. I noticed a rattle that sounded like a heat shield or something loose under the car. The noise wasn't there during the test drive. Noise primarily appeared when leaving from a dead stop and eased off as I got up to speed. Today it has turned into extreme vibration and my niece brought the car to my work so I could listen to it. It was terrible shaking just idling in the parking lot! I called the Honda Service Department and explained the Sound. They said bring it in, so my niece run the car up there. Turns out this 2016 Civic LX 2.0 has a bad/ broken motor mount. They ordered a new one today and will call when it comes in so we can schedule install. Just wanted to make y'all aware of this issue incase someone else is experiencing something similar. First problem with a Honda ever, but maybe it'll be a quick and complete fix...
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:46 AM

I was definitely hoping it wasn't something like a motor mount but man, thanks for sharing. The motor mount theoretically should be a quick fix, in and out. That's interesting as to it going bad so darn quickly though.
JayFive likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 11:53 AM

I think that depends on the motor mount, some are mounted in area's that aren't as easy to get to, so hopefully it's one in an easy open area. Too bad at this point we don't have any diagrams or anything showing where it will be. Have to wait for a leak.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 02:42 PM

Motor mounts on the civic has always been of easy access, hopefully they haven't changed that.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 04:07 PM

My Salesman called earlier today totally unaware of the Bad Broken motor mount/ rattling shaking ordeal. He asked how things were going and if we were happy with car...? I said WELL..... I told him about the issue and that they had ordered and planned installing new motor mount ASAP. He apologized. He is trying to get us a loaner and said he "might" have us a loaner CR-V tomorrow for my niece to drive. We'll see how that goes...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 07:45 AM

Well.. lets hope for the best, I mean that's the least they could do right ?!
JayFive likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 08:19 AM

If your civic was rattling and the same is happening with manders2 civic, could the broken motor mount be a widespread problem?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page