2016 Civic EX-L will not start - See issues below - 10th Gen Civic Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

2016 Civic EX-L will not start - See issues below

My girlfriend tried to start her car this morning, and it wouldn't start.

Nothing else has ever had problems, no accidents or anything.

Here are the 5 error messages:

1) Emission system problem
2) Brake system problem
3) Electronic parking brake problem
4) Hill start assist program
5) Vehicle assist stability problem

She tried the normal push start as well as trying with her key start after.

Also can't even get the car into neutral! So not sure how a tow truck is going to move it anyway without damaging it.

Has anyone seen this? I'm not finding anything in the forum or other google searches. Also, will honda roadside assist cover in helping this, which lasts for 3 years 36 months?

Thanks in advance!

Alex

Last edited by hustadaj; 07-29-2016 at 10:26 AM.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 10:26 AM

That's really really weird. If it was just number 2-5 I would've assumed abs module or something got all wacky. But there's no reason the emission system would have any interference with that.

Honda roadside assistance should definitely cover it. Get it towed back to the dealer and have them deal with that. What's the mileage on it now ?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Only 5k.

Yeah she called and I guess they are going to tow it or try to. Unfortunately car is parked forwards in a garage, is that going to mess things up? I don't know much about towing.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 10:43 AM

They should be able to jack it up and put it on dollies to roll it. You'll be good..

I once had to get a car towed from the second level underground parking lot and that was tight but.. they managed to do it lol. All the brakes were seized too mind you ahaha
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

That makes me feel a bit better, we're in a relatively spacious underground parking structure.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 01:14 PM

There are jacks called Go Jacks which are used to get cars into and out of tight spaces. Any really good tow truck company should have them or something that serves a similar purpose.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 03:03 PM

For sure. If they don't have dollies... I have no idea how they're in that industry lol. I think it's a requirement that they have them though.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

So it took 3 tow trucks to get the car haha. The first one couldn't get in the garage even though she told them the clearance. The second one didn't have any dollies. The third one finally got it out.

Update on the car - supposedly they think they need to replace the entire computer, and apparently it's been a fairly widespread problem with 2016 Civic's, as the part is on back order. They have no expected time to fix the car. Luckily they had a honda fit as a free loaner. I'll keep this post updated once it gets sorted out, as it seems this is happening rather frequently. Luckily it happened at one of the best places possible, our garage.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 03:03 PM

Holy moly ! Three towtrucks ?! That's quite ridiculous but humorous all at the same time lol

But at least they're getting it dealt with and gave you a loaner vehicle. That's pretty messed up that it's happening frequently though, that's quite a crucial problem
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustadaj View Post
My girlfriend tried to start her car this morning, and it wouldn't start.

Nothing else has ever had problems, no accidents or anything.

Here are the 5 error messages:

1) Emission system problem
2) Brake system problem
3) Electronic parking brake problem
4) Hill start assist program
5) Vehicle assist stability problem

She tried the normal push start as well as trying with her key start after.

Also can't even get the car into neutral! So not sure how a tow truck is going to move it anyway without damaging it.

Has anyone seen this? I'm not finding anything in the forum or other google searches. Also, will honda roadside assist cover in helping this, which lasts for 3 years 36 months?

Thanks in advance!

Alex

I just had the same thing happen to me last night. Exact same errors. The EX-L was brand new. They are looking at it now.

For future reference, there is a gear release button a few inches above the USB port in the middle storage section. My tow truck driver used a key to release it (a screwdriver or something similar would also work) and it went into neutral just fine.

UPDATE: The dealer is saying that the battery was totally dead and a full charge fixed it. I'm not sure I buy that since I had just driven it 10 or so miles and everything worked fine and when I went to start it every accessory worked including AC and moonroof. I did get the 8 year/120K plantinum warranty for $1k so I have that piece of mind. I'm pretty sure this car will be back in for the same problem.

Last edited by bpb1970; 08-31-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in