So my car wont turn off - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

So my car wont turn off

I drove home from work today like normal. Pushed the engine start/stop button before getting out of the car. The radio was still on, and the dash was still on, with Accessory Mode, push "start/stop" twice to turn off, or something similar to that.

I pushed the button twice. It went to accessory mode.

I started the engine, drove the car out of the drive way, came back, pushed the button to turn off the car... accessory mode.

turned the car on, turned the car off.... accessory mode.

Moved the keys all away from the car. Started the car (which i could do because it WAS STILL IN ACCESSORY MODE) and drove the car, meanwhile there was a big warning saying there was no key fob in the proximity. Parked the car, pushed the on/off button.... accessory mode.

I have tried everything I can think of, the car wont lock. It wont exit accessory mode unless its in full on start. Someone could come along and steal my car because I cant turn it off.

Any ideas? I phoned roadside assistance, they had no suggestions except to call the dealership in the morning.

Honda Civic EX
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 01:05 AM

Sorry to hear that. Definitely sounds like your push button start is faulty and needs to be repaired under warranty. You can disconnect the battery overnight to prevent battery drain or someone stealing the car.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 09:21 AM

That's weird. I thought shifting the car into Park would turn off accessory mode. Not sure if it's a glitch or something wrong with your start/stop button. Probably best to bring it in to the dealership.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 10:53 AM

Does the dash indicate that you are in 'P' PARK when you put it in park? Did you get any warning chimes when you tried to turn the car off?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 01:01 PM

Calling/going to the dealership is what you should definitely do, but in that case I would have just popped the hood and disconnect the ground cable from the batter terminal, can't imagine that doing any harm at all.

Keep us posted on how things are going with this issue.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 01:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Bood View Post
I drove home from work today like normal. Pushed the engine start/stop button before getting out of the car. The radio was still on, and the dash was still on, with Accessory Mode, push "start/stop" twice to turn off, or something similar to that.

I pushed the button twice. It went to accessory mode.

I started the engine, drove the car out of the drive way, came back, pushed the button to turn off the car... accessory mode.

turned the car on, turned the car off.... accessory mode.

Moved the keys all away from the car. Started the car (which i could do because it WAS STILL IN ACCESSORY MODE) and drove the car, meanwhile there was a big warning saying there was no key fob in the proximity. Parked the car, pushed the on/off button.... accessory mode.

I have tried everything I can think of, the car wont lock. It wont exit accessory mode unless its in full on start. Someone could come along and steal my car because I cant turn it off.

Any ideas? I phoned roadside assistance, they had no suggestions except to call the dealership in the morning.

Honda Civic EX
It happened to me once, the culprit was my phone sitting in front of the shifter, would not allow the car to go fully all the way into park. Once I moved the phone it went fully into park and I could turn the car off.
bcardicoke likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 Rallye Red Honda Civic Touring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Western Massachusetts USA

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 02:09 PM

What an annoying problem. Waste of gas. And surprised roadside assistance had no suggestions.

Do let us know what the problem is.

Did you have to leave your car running all through the night then?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

yeah, i turned the radio off and left it.... nothing else I could do. Got a call into the dealership this morning, waiting to see what they have to say. And it was definitely in park, i drove it since this started. It works no problem, I just cant turn it off, lock it, and ya know all the things necessary to prevent someone from stealing it!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCivicTouringMA View Post
It happened to me once, the culprit was my phone sitting in front of the shifter, would not allow the car to go fully all the way into park. Once I moved the phone it went fully into park and I could turn the car off.
Resolved... and THANKS RedCivicTouringMA! The culprit was an envelope sitting in that same spot, the car shifted into park, the P was in the dashboard, but as soon as I moved the envelope it went forward another 2 mm and the car could turn off.... What a Sh!tshow!
RedCivicTouringMA likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 06:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Bood View Post
Resolved... and THANKS RedCivicTouringMA! The culprit was an envelope sitting in that same spot, the car shifted into park, the P was in the dashboard, but as soon as I moved the envelope it went forward another 2 mm and the car could turn off.... What a Sh!tshow!
Wow, and I almost did not bother to post thinking it might be irrelevant LOL
So glad I was able to help!
5TAR, 4Tires and dlinn94 like this.

2016 Rallye Red Honda Civic Touring

Western Massachusetts USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page