How to buy a Civic HB Sport Manual? - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By wwmisc

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Question How to buy a Civic HB Sport Manual?

I'm looking to buy a Civic HB sport manual but I'm having a hard time finding one locally. I'm also overwhelmed by all the fees and car salesmen with this being the first time buying a new or lightly used car.

I'd like to get advice on what I should expect to pay out the door and what others would recommend on how to buy a Civic HB Sport MT....

Thanks in advance!
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:07 PM

I was in a similar boat a year ago, looking for a Civic HB LX manual. I wanted it in specific exterior and interior colors and could not find it in the whole state. I finally tracked one down, 500 miles away, after searching for nearly a year. So the lesson is, if you are dead set on your configuration, you might have to expand your search radius or time horizon. Otherwise, you might have to compromise. The MT is most likely going to be your bottleneck since only about 1 in 10 cars on the lot is a MT. Some dealers also take factory orders based on your spec.

One site that helped with inventory search is Cars.com. You can search by very specific trim, color, feature, etc. When/If you find something, you can double check it against the inventory on the dealer's website, which you can find from Honda.com, or by calling them. I found that doing it this way, most of the time, I was more familiar with the local inventory than the dealer. Knowing the local inventory can give you leverage during negotiations. Most dealers are also understandably unwilling to go very far to do a dealer swap.

Some sites will tell you that if you can negotiate for dealer cost (NOT invoice) plus 3-5% profit for the dealer, then it's a reasonable deal. However, factors such as true dealer cost, regional demand, time of month, etc. can all affect that formula.
barenaked likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing all that. I started off looking for something lightly used but it seems like these cars hold their value so well that it doesn't really save much to buy used (at least to justify the headache of searching). When you say "dealer swap" do you mean you were able to get the car 500 miles away for the same price, or you had to pay a 3-5% premium to get it to your dealer? I've expanded my search and the only local Sport Manual HB is overpriced in my area so I'm wondering what it will cost to get one from another state 500+/- miles away...

If you don't mind sharing, what was your final price breakdown for your LX HB manual? And I'm assuming it was new?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:20 PM

I didn't do a dealer swap, simply because the only 2 cars in the state that I could find that matched what I wanted were 500 miles away. I can't imagine any dealer willing to do a swap with another dealer so far away, because they'd have to transport/drive their car there, transport/drive your car back, and essentially pay an employee a day's wage to do that, all while not being able to make anything extra off the effort (A dealer swap should not cost extra, as some dealers might have you believe). Instead, I used some frequent flyer miles for a one-way flight to the dealer, bought the car there myself, and drove it home.

I did do a dealer swap on my last car. It didn't cost anything extra, just some extra miles on the odo when my local dealer sent someone to bring the car back. Dealers will commonly do swaps with other dealers within a more reasonable radius. They rather get the car for you and have you buy from them, than for you to find the car yourself at the other dealer and buy it from that other dealer.

If you are looking at dealers in another state, there might be other considerations, such as out of state licensing, emissions compliance (e.g. Bringing a car into California), etc. that could add to your cost. You'll have to judge whether it's worth the effort.

When you say that the only local Sport HB that you found is overpriced, do you mean the advertised price? If so, I wouldn't worry about it because it's negotiable. In my experience, about 1 in 10 Civics is a manual, and dealers can have a hard time moving them, which is leverage for you during negotiations. For example, you can say that you're undecided between an auto and manual, so if they can give you a good deal on the manual, you'd take it off their hands. In my case, I tracked the car that I wanted and realized that it sat at the dealer for 6 months and had only 1 test drive. A car sitting on the lot is a car not making money. If I had walked away, the dealer might not get another sniff.

Yes, I bought my 2018 Civic LX HB manual new (In July 2018) for under $21000 out the door ($18700 for the car + approx. $2000 tax/lic/reg). I could have done better but the dealer realized that I came a long way and had a very specific configuration in mind so I wasn't likely to walk away. So the lesson is, don't show your hand or let the dealer know that you want the car.

One other thing: Call around and see if any of your local dealers take factory orders. Ones that do can get you the exact car you want, but may take a couple of months. Again, it shouldn't cost more to do a factory order because your order would just be part of their regularly batch of orders. In fact, such an order would have a guaranteed buyer already lined up. Ask them about APEX to let them know you've done your research:
(I can't post links, but Google "honda ordering system" and look for a 2014 article from autonews)

Last edited by wwmisc; 09-12-2019 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Additional info
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 03:58 AM

I email every dealer I'm willing to drive to and get their best offers for the car I want and the trade-in. Don't let them tell you they need to see the trade-in. They already know what their number is going to be on it before you even get there. That said, those numbers CAN go up, mine typically do, but it doesn't happen often for most people.

Mine was a dealer trade from about 250 miles away and was the ONLY white manual, HB sport they could locate within 500 miles. They had 4 of the exact same car on the lot, but since they put front plates on everything even though SC doesn't issue them and tint the windows on everything I had them locacte this one. I was at $20458.xx OTD on mine (2019, manual, HB sport). I didn't pay any taxes since my trade was more valuable. They had a processing fee that I didn't beat them up on since I got mudflaps, hatch floor cover, door edge and door cup paint protection films for free. They lost $1900 on that sale but I know they only did it because it got them over their sales goal for the fiscal year, which ends Monday. I went down Monday to look at it but told them I wasn't buying that day no matter what. They located one Wednesday and I went down and signed the papers. It arrived today and I picked it up tonight just before closing, easy peasy.

Holler if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Civic 1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	20293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Civic 2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	20295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Civic 3.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	20297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Civic 4.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	20299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Civic 5.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	20301  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page