2016 Civic Engine Recall Affecting Some VINs (M63 piston pin snap ring recall) - Page 2 - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 2Likes

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinn94 View Post
An email from my dealership service manager:
"This new recall just came out on the 30th. As of right now I am still waiting on the procedure in which Honda will be inspecting and repairing the effected vin range vehicles. I would continue to drive and operate the vehicle as you have been and when I get some more info on what steps are needed and repairs/tools needed I will make sure to let you know. I am sure Honda will also be sending out a mailer on this matter as well. I will check the info daily and let you know as soon as I know. Have a great day and I’ll be in touch with you soon."
I just bought mine on the 30th, and my vin is on the recall list. What rotten luck. I'm upset about my dealer not opening their email and looking at the notifications for that day. I live on the west coast and I read how people on the east coast were not being sold vehicles on the morning of the 30th. Since we're 3 hours behind them, my dealer should have known about this.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinn94 View Post
When I call American Honda, my 2016 Civic EX is on the list to be recalled in regards to the engine piston snap ring issue. When I insert my VIN online, it indicates, no recall
Bought my 2016 civic ex jan 30 2016. Found out on news 1 week later on the recall, checked website its on the list. Called dealer only 400kms on car now they minimal-remove oil pan use borascope to look at rest pins. Im a millwright and rebuilt many engines,cant see rest pins without removing ppiston from bottom on motor, life expectancy is cut in half. Wont take car back or replace motor. Now fighting for 200,000 km warranty ext. First and last honda I will buy. Build in canada, wheres quality control.
4Tires likes this.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohappy View Post
Bought my 2016 civic ex jan 30 2016. Found out on news 1 week later on the recall, checked website its on the list. Called dealer only 400kms on car now they minimal-remove oil pan use borascope to look at rest pins. Im a millwright and rebuilt many engines,cant see rest pins without removing ppiston from bottom on motor, life expectancy is cut in half. Wont take car back or replace motor. Now fighting for 200,000 km warranty ext. First and last honda I will buy. Build in canada, wheres quality control.
So anyone who's had their cars checked for the loose pins has had their engine life expectancy cut in half without knowing about it?

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohappy View Post
Im a millwright and rebuilt many engines,cant see rest pins without removing ppiston from bottom on motor
Why is it everybody but Honda knows this can't be done? Honda, it turns out, knows more about building engines in general, and inspecting piston pin snap rings in this engine with a borescope in specific, than any "I've built a few engines in my time" Internet poster.

Read the TSB. Observe the photos. Then you'll understand. Maybe.

Last edited by dick w; 03-27-2016 at 12:43 PM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tires View Post
So anyone who's had their cars checked for the loose pins has had their engine life expectancy cut in half without knowing about it?
Yup. It's a wonder any of them left the dealers under their own power after the 3 hour job.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 10:52 AM

Thanks Dick W for the TSB info. Clear and complete procedure and photos. Should eliminate much of the speculation on the 2L engine recall.
Rex
dick w likes this.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 08:09 PM

Just got my letter for my civic ex, gonna have me leave my car at my house and go to the dealership to get a loaner and sign a waiver that I won't drive my honda until the parts arrive.

EDIT: told wrong info from service; loaner applies to CRV. In the shop now

Last edited by dylan310; 03-29-2016 at 03:33 PM. Reason: dealer error
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan310 View Post
Just got my letter for my civic ex, gonna have me leave my car at my house and go to the dealership to get a loaner and sign a waiver that I won't drive my honda until the parts arrive.
Wow. Hadn't hear anything like that from others. Where'd the waiver thing come from? The dealer? (Or the recall letter from American Honda?) Did the dealer sell it to you after the stop sale was announced? (IIRC, 1/29 or 1/30.) How are you going to get it to the dealer when they get the parts?
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick w View Post
Wow. Hadn't hear anything like that from others. Where'd the waiver thing come from? The dealer? (Or the recall letter from American Honda?) Did the dealer sell it to you after the stop sale was announced? (IIRC, 1/29 or 1/30.) How are you going to get it to the dealer when they get the parts?
Turn's out the dealer was incorrect; they are only providing loaners for CRV recalls and its expected to be a while. They took my car in today for the recall service.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 06:10 PM

Interesting. Maybe that's the '16 CR-V air bag recall. Mine is an '07 and I just got the letter for the latest round of Takata Air Bag Fun. No offer of a loaner, though. They sent a Recall letter saying they are going to send a Recall letter sometime this summer when they are ready with the parts to actually do something about it. The lawyers probably think this makes sense.

Good luck with your inspection. Hopefully your dealer/mechanic is one of the good ones who puts it back together all correctly and neatly and you leave as if it never happened.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page