2016 Civic Engine Recall Affecting Some VINs (M63 piston pin snap ring recall) - Page 3 - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 2Likes

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick w View Post
Interesting. Maybe that's the '16 CR-V air bag recall. Mine is an '07 and I just got the letter for the latest round of Takata Air Bag Fun. No offer of a loaner, though. They sent a Recall letter saying they are going to send a Recall letter sometime this summer when they are ready with the parts to actually do something about it. The lawyers probably think this makes sense.
Apparently, Honda quietly asked takata to fix their exploding airbags back in 2009 before the problem blew up recently. Not meant to be a pun. Guess you got the CR-V 2 years earlier.

As for the recall, I'm wondering if you can ask the mechanic if they are removing the piston from the bottom of the motor to check those pins before they do any work on it.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tires View Post
As for the recall, I'm wondering if you can ask the mechanic if they are removing the piston from the bottom of the motor to check those pins before they do any work on it.
My Civic is not a 2.0L so not subject to the recall. In any case, Honda's procedure for the recall inspection is documented, and linked in above, and it doesn't involve removing the pistons out the top or bottom unless the inspection reveals a mis-set snap ring still in place. (Nobody has posted reporting this case found on their cars.) If it comes to that, I'd bet they take the pistons out the top. Otherwise you have to remove the crankshaft and that means removing or, at least disconnecting, the transmission.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Wink Old thread but!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohappy View Post
Bought my 2016 civic ex jan 30 2016. Found out on news 1 week later on the recall, checked website its on the list. Called dealer only 400kms on car now they minimal-remove oil pan use borascope to look at rest pins. Im a millwright and rebuilt many engines,cant see rest pins without removing ppiston from bottom on motor, life expectancy is cut in half. Wont take car back or replace motor. Now fighting for 200,000 km warranty ext. First and last honda I will buy. Build in canada, wheres quality control.
The engine was not assembled in Canada just installed here.

FROM THE GREAT WHITE NORTH

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabeldude View Post
The engine was not assembled in Canada just installed here.
It was reported at the time that the 2.0L engines involved in the recall were built in Alliston, Ontario, and that the engines from Anna, OH, were not involved.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Here is were I got the information for the above statement that I made, there are many other sources but this is the only one I can recall at this time. " The Alliston, Ontario, Honda plant (pictured above) is also part of the major production process. In fact, itís the global lead plant for the new 2016 Honda Civic. What that means is not only does the plant built the new sedan, but also develops the manufacturing processes and technologies that are used by the 11 Honda plants around the world that are building the new 2016 Civic.
With that said, the 2016 Honda Civicís brand new 2.0-liter and 1.5-liter turbo engines and two automatic transmissions originate elsewhere. The engines are manufactured in Anna, Ohio and the transmissions in Russells Point, Ohio, and Celaya, Mexico." This is a link to the article. https://www.oneillhonda.com/blog/wher...da-civic-made/

FROM THE GREAT WHITE NORTH
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 12:59 PM

Even the Honda press release announcing the 2016 Civic in the US suggested that the engines were all coming from Anna--probably the source of this link.

Turns out it wasn't completely true.

See https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...6V074-8103.pdf where Honda was telling dealers, and the US NHTSA, that "The affected 2.0 liter engines were assembled at Honda of Canada Manufacturing’s Alliston, Ontario, engine plant."

Last edited by dick w; 09-25-2016 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page