2016 Civic Engine Recall Affecting Some VINs (M63 piston pin snap ring recall) - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

2016 Civic Engine Recall Affecting Some VINs (M63 piston pin snap ring recall)

10thcivicforum members have discovered an ongoing engine recall which appears to be causing the stop sale on some 2016 Civic models. The 'M63 Piston Clip / Ring' recall affects all trims, both engines, both sold & unsold cars, but only a certain limited range of VINs.

The issue appears to be with the piston pin snap ring on some engines. You can check whether issue applies to your 2016 Civic by calling 888-234-2138 (have your VIN # ready).
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 03:06 PM

Actually on another site an official statement from honda said it only effects the 2.0L engines.

- There is one open recall and one TSB. The recall is for a piston clip, the TSB is for an amp issue effecting Touring trim levels.
- The recall affects only the 2.0L engine, and is VIN specific.
- The website is not currently up to date and you just call the Honda Recall line for info on your specific car.
- Parts will be arriving some time in the near future (Feb. 5th was suggested), and notices will be additionally mailed.

5 Civics in 10 years. I might be an addict.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbJK88 View Post
Actually on another site an official statement from honda said it only effects the 2.0L engines.
FTFY:
…on another site (c-i-v-i-c-x.com) a poster quoting a Honda document said…

There is no official statement from Honda available anywhere I've seen, including hondanews.com as of several minutes ago.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

An email from my dealership service manager:
"This new recall just came out on the 30th. As of right now I am still waiting on the procedure in which Honda will be inspecting and repairing the effected vin range vehicles. I would continue to drive and operate the vehicle as you have been and when I get some more info on what steps are needed and repairs/tools needed I will make sure to let you know. I am sure Honda will also be sending out a mailer on this matter as well. I will check the info daily and let you know as soon as I know. Have a great day and I’ll be in touch with you soon."
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 09:20 AM

You can also check your Vin online to see if your vehicle is on the recall list.

Canada https://www.honda.ca/recalls

U.S. https://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

When I call American Honda, my 2016 Civic EX is on the list to be recalled in regards to the engine piston snap ring issue. When I insert my VIN online, it indicates, no recall
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 10:01 PM

I thought the EX wasn't affected by the engine recall?

MSM CIVIC GUY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolkguy View Post
I thought the EX wasn't affected by the engine recall?
2.0L engines, so EX potentially yes, EX-T and above, no.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:30 AM

ok.. thanks for clarifications... i though all ex had the turbo engines.

MSM CIVIC GUY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:44 PM

Yesterday I called the Cali Honda CS, and gave them my VIN. Took about 5 min but they came back and said YES my 2016 EX (purchased in November) is in the recall. They also said we won't know the remedy till mid March. Just call with your VIN and they should be able to give you an answer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page