Oil Life Indicator and Piston Wrist Pin Circlips Recall Inspection Question - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By dick w
  • 3 Post By dick w

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Question Oil Life Indicator and Piston Wrist Pin Circlips Recall Inspection Question

Hey all quick question, maybe this may apply to a few owners out there.

Got my Civic EX back today from the recall inspection, and noticed my oil life indicator is still at 70%. I'm wondering should I reset the oil life due to them putting in new oil. Here are the stats for the car.

Milage: 2087
Oil Life Indicator: 70%
Oil Filter: Stated by mechanic that it is the same filter prior to inspection (factory filter)

Thoughts?
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 10:43 PM
CY7

Garage
before %15 you don't need the change your engine oil I think.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 01:24 PM

I would not reset it. Doing so will throw off the other intervals like rotate tires. You'll get the second oil change a little early. You got the first one a lot early.
dylan310 likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 08:39 AM

Maybe keep and eye on it to make sure it goes down the more you drive your Civic in case it's stuck at %70.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 09:19 AM

It best to just keep driving it and watch how the number moves. One thing you can try doing is calling Honda and ask what sort of mileage is required for it to move down a percent, or what criteria the system uses for small incremental movements in percentage. At least then when driving you'll know what to expect and when.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 11:10 AM

The piston wrist pin is one thing I would leave for the dealership, but for oil changes, I take care of those myself. I use 100% synthetic oil with a cotton batting filter (no pleated paper), and change every 12 months or 12k miles, whichever comes first. So I know which of my vehicles needs oil/filter change by the month of the year. EZ peazy!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicDuty View Post
The piston wrist pin is one thing I would leave for the dealership, but for oil changes, I take care of those myself. I use 100% synthetic oil with a cotton batting filter (no pleated paper), and change every 12 months or 12k miles, whichever comes first. So I know which of my vehicles needs oil/filter change by the month of the year. EZ peazy!
How do you reset the oil life indicator after changing the oil?

Yea, don't think anyone would be touching those piston clips by themselves, especially if you have to cut into it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicDuty View Post
What brand of oil do you use? Some people I know religiously use Motul oil in their Hondas and not anything else, others just grab the typical Quaker State or Castrol Oil you typically find at auto parts stores.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 10:44 AM

For resetting the reminder, I'm guessing that you press and hold a button, or sequence of buttons...I don't have the manual to reference. For oil, I use Amsoil, but I think any 100% pure synthetic will do.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tires View Post
How do you reset the oil life indicator after changing the oil?
OM p 483:
1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II and have
the vehicle at a complete stop.
2. Display the Maintenance Minder by
repeatedly pressing the (TRIP) knob.
3. Press and hold the knob for ten seconds
or more.
> The display will blink to show it is in reset
mode.
4. Rotate the knob to select the item you
wish to reset.
> Reset the selected item by pushing the
knob for five seconds or more.
4Tires, Calibur and gtb like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page