DIY: Interior Light change/upgrade - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

DIY: Interior Light change/upgrade

No one really likes the yellowish lights on the interior. This is how I changed mine to white. I had some extra T10 194 size LED bulbs so I figured I'd change the interior. For the interior map lights you'll need 2 and for the dome light you'll need 1. Do this at your own risk please. Be gentle on the interior plastics. I recommend doing this in the day time so you don't have to risk touching a hot bulb and burning your fingers. If the LED bulbs do not work, try flipping them. If you somehow blow a fuse, the fuse to check is #21 under the hood. It will be a red 10Amp fuse. There will be a replacement as well as a fuse puller under the fuse cover.

Due to the limited size that there is under the plastic, I recommend a smaller LED bulb. I used a 5 chip bulb and the light output is very nice.

Get yourself some T10 194 size LED bulbs with the color you want. White has that nice crisp luxurious look to it so I choose white, but you can choose any color that you'd like.

You'll need a flat head screwdriver with the flattest end you can find.

For the map lights stick your flat head screwdriver at the areas I have the flat head to and gently pry open each side little by little. You do not want to put too much force and break the plastic.

Pull the bulb out and replace with the new led bulb you have. There will be a push pin you can press to see if the light works or not once the cover is off. If the bulb doesn't work, flip the bulb around and try it again. Repeat on other side.

Before:

After:

For the rear dome light there are two points you can use your flat head screw driver to pull out. The flat head in the picture is at one of the points and the other point will be on the other side of the switch in the general area as the first. Carefully pull the cover off. The bulb is side ways so you may have to use the flat head to help you push the bulb out. Install the new bulb and replace the cover after checking to see if the bulb works.

Before:

After:

For the trunk light there are two openings where you can put your fingers in and press the bulb cover tabs to help you pull it off. Once the cover is loose pull it off and unclip the harness to make working with the bulb easier. Remove old bulb and replace with new LED bulb. Reinstall in reverse order and don't forget to plug in the harness.

Before:

After:
Pinetop, 4Tires and Becky like this.
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 11:26 PM

Cool stuff. Any recommendations on where to buy these bulbs?

Last edited by dtccivic; 12-01-2015 at 12:07 AM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Diode Dynamics is a good place! I usually get my stuff on ebay and it's never done me bad yet. Just find a good seller.
RedCivicTouringMA likes this.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 03:15 AM

Looks really good!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 03:37 AM

Garage
Nice. Did the trunk took the same bulbs?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
Nice. Did the trunk took the same bulbs?
yep! same bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradensullivan View Post
Looks really good!
thank you!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 03:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slo4u View Post
yep! same bulb
!
They look great. Do you plan to change any of the others, like the license plate light? I'm guess that's also the same bulb.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 10:32 AM

looks great! Is it actually that purple/blue in person?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinetop View Post
looks great! Is it actually that purple/blue in person?
Thank you! It's actually very white but the phone couldn't really capture the true color even in manual mode. I turned the iso up a little but the factory camera app didn't have the options to change its settings. Very white though.

The license plate bulbs look pretty white the way they are..surprisingly. So I might just leave it the way it is but I'll change the bulb and see if the light output/color is better than the factory.
Pinetop likes this.

Last edited by 2slo4u; 12-01-2015 at 11:36 AM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 05:53 PM

I did the same upgrade in my previous 2013 Accord. Simple and relatively inexpensive-worthwhile!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page