6MT 1.5T Civic Honda Civic Is Coming - 10th Gen Civic Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

6MT 1.5T Civic Honda Civic Is Coming

Rejoice manual enthusiasts, because Honda is going to offer you the option of choosing a 6-speed manual transmission for the EX-T, EX-L and Touring models. How do I know this? Because VTEC recently took the prototype for a spin.

The 1.5L turbocharged civic was only offered with CVT and if you wanted manual, you had to go for the 2.0L engine models. When Honda spokesperson Robyn Eagles was asked about a manual 1.5L turbo back in 2015, his answer was not a definite no, but neither was it a direct confirmation; We have not confirmed it publicly, yet.

Now we know and Honda is allowing journalists the chance to test drive a camouflaged sedan mule. VTEC has not posted a rider review for the manual turbo yet so Honda may have an embargo on test details.

We could be hearing more as the 2016 Honda Civic Coupe Media Event progresses.

Update from VTEC: they're going to post up their 6MT 1.5T Civic prototype drive impressions in a few weeks. That may be when the Honda infortmation embargo is lifted.

Last edited by Civic X News; 02-03-2016 at 03:51 PM.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 01:29 PM

If Honda puts this drivetrain in a 4-door hatchback higher trim than LX it will likely be my next car -- but it has to be a little shorter than the sedan to fit in my spot in our garage (max 180").
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown Drifter View Post
If Honda puts this drivetrain in a 4-door hatchback higher trim than LX it will likely be my next car -- but it has to be a little shorter than the sedan to fit in my spot in our garage (max 180").
Would a Civic hatchback be much different in length? It would be built on the same platform so I can't see the length changing very much.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil View Post
Would a Civic hatchback be much different in length? It would be built on the same platform so I can't see the length changing very much.
Hatches do tend to be shorter than their sedan counterparts. And depending on whether they use the sedan or coupe measurements to underpin it it could end up quite a few inches shorter than the sedan.

Having said that, looking at what we've seen so far of the hatch, it looks closer to the sedan than the coupe.

5 Civics in 10 years. I might be an addict.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 06:19 PM

Hot dang! I can't wait for the 2 door coupe version with this powertrain! Woo Hoo!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic X News View Post

Rejoice manual enthusiasts, because Honda is going to offer you the option of choosing a 6-speed manual transmission for the EX-T, EX-L and Touring models. How do I know this? Because VTEC recently took the prototype for a spin.

The 1.5L turbocharged civic was only offered with CVT and if you wanted manual, you had to go for the 2.0L engine models. When Honda spokesperson Robyn Eagles was asked about a manual 1.5L turbo back in 2015, his answer was not a definite no, but neither was it a direct confirmation; We have not confirmed it publicly, yet.

Now we know and Honda is allowing journalists the chance to test drive a camouflaged sedan mule. VTEC has not posted a rider review for the manual turbo yet so Honda may have an embargo on test details.

We could be hearing more as the 2016 Honda Civic Coupe Media Event progresses.

Update from VTEC: they're going to post up their 6MT 1.5T Civic prototype drive impressions in a few weeks. That may be when the Honda infortmation embargo is lifted.
Now this is great news! Drove the 1.5 turbo EXL CVT tonight. The turbo with the CVT are a great match for one another. The turbo spools with the CVT, making the two actually play nicely together. If the manual were not available, I could see myself being ok with this set up. But......considering the 6spd will be available in the Touring and the Si......this will be a more challenging decision......although the 1.5 has plenty of torque and go, I think I would really like the Si version better. The one thing though, that I am not sure I could do without on the Touring model is the heated rear seats. This is a cool feature and one that would be nice here in Michigan. Going to be tough decision as the 1.5 Turbo with the 6spd manual is going to be plenty of car.......going to be a tough one for sure!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page