No 2.0 Liter For The Hatchback - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

No 2.0 Liter For The Hatchback

Even though the 158-hp 2.0-liter four-cylinder is available for both the Civic Sedan and Coupe, it will not be making an appearance in the Civic Hatchback.

When the Civic Hatchback debuts in its production form, buyers won’t have a choice of engines since it only comes with the upgraded 1.5-liter turbo four-cylinder with 174 hp and 162 lb-ft of torque. Some may think this could be due to the recent 2.0-liter piston recall but that’s not the case. Honda thinks the turbo engine paired with either a six-speed manual or CVT is better suited to the hatchback’s more performance oriented direction.

A smart move on their part because the hatchback is going to get a Si version and it will be the basis for the future Type R. This could also be an indication of the pricing because Honda can now charge buyers a premium when compared to the sedan and coupe.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 01:54 PM

Plus with the hatchback coming from Swindon (or so it has been reported), this might avoid having to either produce the NA 2.0 in Europe or ship it from North America. This engine may not have other application in Europe.

Last edited by dick w; 03-13-2016 at 08:27 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 03:28 PM

Good. Now they need to give us an estimated release date for the hatchback AND the sedan with the 1.5T/6MT combo.
Astroluc likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 03:46 PM

When will full specs be available for the hatchback?

I'm most interested in total vehicle length (my spot in garage is 180" max), cargo capacity, and fuel economy. I care more about fuel economy than acceleration, and I definitely will NOT begetting a CVT. I've owned nothing but manuals for 35+ years and don't want any kind of auto trans even if the EPA rates it higher in gas mileage.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 03:54 PM

Seem's odd to me to limit the hatchback to only performance oriented buyers. The Type R already gets plenty of parts, inside and out that make it stand out. I figure a lot of people would probably like to buy a hatchback but could care less about how fast it goes.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic X News View Post
A smart move on their part because the hatchback is going to get a Si version...
Please let this be true. Everything I've read seems to indicate that the Si will be a coupe and sedan only thing.

My first pick is the CTR; however that is totally dependent on how crazy dealers decide to go with markup. Otherwise I'd be content with a Si hatchback.

Last edited by thaseint; 03-11-2016 at 04:49 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 10:22 PM

Just curious, where is the source on this? I haven't heard anything about the hatchback being 1.5T only.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 03:09 PM

We in Europe will be getting the 1.5T and 1.0T engine and later probably the Type-R.
Personally i like the 1.5T with CVT, bring it on !

Here the official link with this info from Honda:

https://hondanews.eu/eu/en//media/pre...type-press-kit
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 07:41 PM

Well, a 2.0 (revised) would have been just fine for me, but if I have to get a 1.5T, I think I can live with that!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 10:40 AM

I'm looking forward to test driving the 1.5T hatchback with a 6 speed manual. In fact, when I got wind of this new Civic I delayed my new car purchase. I was ready to pull the trigger on a VW Golf or Sportwagen 1.8 TSI 5MT, but now I'll wait until I can test drive both for comparison. Also in the running are the Ford Focus 3 cylinder (for fuel economy) and the Mazda3 2.0. I've read a lot of good things about the Mazda, but the one not so good thing (road noise) is probably a deal breaker. I go on several long road trips every year, and my biggest complaint about the Honda Fit Sport 5MT I've been driving since January 2007 is the road noise and 4000rpm @ 82mph interstate speed. The biggest reason the new Fit isn't in the running is the top gear on the 6MT has the same ratio as the old 5MT. Aside from that my Fit has been very reliable, economical, fun to drive, and the cargo capacity is incredible for such a small car. The Golf Sportwagen is in the running because nothing in this class comes close to its cargo capacity. At 180" long (max length for my spot in the garage) it's shorter than the Civic sedan. I'm waiting to see the length and cargo capacity of the Civic hatchback.
5TAR likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page