Finally beat ? - 10th Gen Civic Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Finally beat ?

We all know that the Civic Type R destroyed the Nurburgring record set by the Renault Megane RS before by approximately 4.3 seconds which was a huge deal. Record time was set at 7:50.63. But, there's a new FWD champ on the track now. The VW Golf GTI Clubsport S hit a time of 7:49.21. A bit over 1.4 seconds which is a big deal when it comes to Motorsports. Thoughts ?

Last edited by Shawn; 05-04-2016 at 09:06 AM.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 10:21 AM

I saw this and thought about the Type R... hopefully the 10th gen Type R will be able to take back the record

5 Civics in 10 years. I might be an addict.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 11:20 AM

On the track this is great but on the street both will come out near even and that's just to the small amount of people that will care for specifics like this rather than what's good enough for the segment and what brand suits them. The latter is important, not often do you see people jump from one brand to another.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 12:15 PM

Does seem really even in the real-world, off track testing. Really don't think any brand jumping will be happening as people that follow either/or tend to be pretty dead certain. Both brands have an extremely large following as well as aftermarket support. They've had that for quite a long time. Should be really interesting to see how the new Type R will fare
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 09:07 AM

A 1.4 second time difference won't make people change over from Toyota and I won't be surprised to see the new Civic Type R beat that time. Toyota keeps up with the news and now that the VW Golf GTI Clubsport S has beat their time, they'll want to come out with something to wow the hot hatch world.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 09:16 AM

Definitely not, Even if the time difference was 5+ seconds, I don't feel like it would make a significant difference to peoples thoughts on their manufacturer of choice. But the hatch world is changing at a rapid rate, and people are stepping their games up quite a bit. Lap time "champs" are going to be changing constantly in my opinion.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

This is pretty interesting but I'm positive it won't last for long as well
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 09:42 AM

The hot hatch enthusiasts may change from brand to brand but I assume a majority of hot hatch buyers will stick to the brand they're loyal to. Also, production of it is limited to 400 cars worldwide. Leaves plenty of buyers for Honda.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tires View Post
The hot hatch enthusiasts may change from brand to brand but I assume a majority of hot hatch buyers will stick to the brand they're loyal to. Also, production of it is limited to 400 cars worldwide. Leaves plenty of buyers for Honda.
Wow that few? Yea, honda won't have an issue keeping sales. The Type R is limited production, but not THAT limited.

I agree with others here, the 'ring FWD track record changes on a pretty regular basis, part of the reason the Type R held on so long was partially due to the fact there was a speed limit imposed for a few months on the 'ring (due to recent accidents) that only just lifted like a month or 2 ago.

With the new platform (which is 300% more advanced than the fit platform the CTR rides on now) and revised mechanics i don't doubt the Type R will win it's crown back... until another hot hatch comes along and beats it again. lol.

Most people don't jump brands, especially over something as minor as a 1.5 second difference which in real world is basically a non-existent difference that'll be made up by better/worse drivers.

5 Civics in 10 years. I might be an addict.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tires View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbJK88 View Post
Wow that few? Yea, honda won't have an issue keeping sales. The Type R is limited production, but not THAT limited.

I agree with others here, the 'ring FWD track record changes on a pretty regular basis, part of the reason the Type R held on so long was partially due to the fact there was a speed limit imposed for a few months on the 'ring (due to recent accidents) that only just lifted like a month or 2 ago.

With the new platform (which is 300% more advanced than the fit platform the CTR rides on now) and revised mechanics i don't doubt the Type R will win it's crown back... until another hot hatch comes along and beats it again. lol.

Most people don't jump brands, especially over something as minor as a 1.5 second difference which in real world is basically a non-existent difference that'll be made up by better/worse drivers.
I as well didn't know that it was that limited, that's intense.

But the Type R I'm sure will be in a position to take that crown back. Just a matter of how long it will hold it again lol. We've all reached a consensus that the crown holder will not be long-lasting, which in turn makes the game all more interesting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page