2016 Chevy Cruze - Page 2 - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 19Likes

post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 02:04 PM

They're certainly upping their game and I will test drive one. They have knob-equipped infotainment, so they score points over the civic there.

I really dislike this trend towards less and less visibility and headroom, which appears to be case again in this new cruze by the looks of that rear window. I've test driven several compacts now, and in all of them I felt the visibility was poor and in a few of them my head is touching, or near touching the roof, putting it in my field of vision when driving like wearing a ballcap. The salesmen try to dismiss it as that's just how compacts are, but I have probably 4 inches of headroom in my 2001 civic and far noticeably better visibility, especially out the rear.
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumeknob View Post
They're certainly upping their game and I will test drive one. They have knob-equipped infotainment, so they score points over the civic there.

I really dislike this trend towards less and less visibility and headroom, which appears to be case again in this new cruze by the looks of that rear window. I've test driven several compacts now, and in all of them I felt the visibility was poor and in a few of them my head is touching, or near touching the roof, putting it in my field of vision when driving like wearing a ballcap. The salesmen try to dismiss it as that's just how compacts are, but I have probably 4 inches of headroom in my 2001 civic and far noticeably better visibility, especially out the rear.
Part of the smaller windows, less visibility has to do with the strict US safety standards for cars. They are having to pack more and more safety equipment into the cars, more supports, etc. Its eating up space for windows. Hence why backup cameras are popular. Its not all the fault of stylists, they have to adhere to rules that weren't around 5-10 years ago. Its also why cars are getting bigger and heavier. Thankfully new tech in high strength steel and aluminum is bringing the weight back down. Our safety standards are the reason why cars in Japan that weigh under a ton end up 400-700 pounds heavier by time they come here. The windows are the same problem, there are standards on how low/high the hood and trunk lids can be in terms of pedestrian collision safety, higher deck lids means more sloped windows unless we want all our cars to be super tall.

5 Civics in 10 years. I might be an addict.
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumeknob View Post

I think automakers are discounting rear window visibility partly because rear view cameras are becoming more and more common. Honda is making them standard in all vehicles this model year.

post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil View Post
I think automakers are discounting rear window visibility partly because rear view cameras are becoming more and more common. Honda is making them standard in all vehicles this model year.
Quite possibly. Visibility is still something that I'd like, but I guess I am willing to sacrifice it a bit for some style as long as the camera works well as a replacement.

Is that a trade-off you guys are willing to make too?
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 06:12 PM

I compare our '13 9th Gen. Civic against our '03 Mazda P5. The windows are smaller and the windowsills higher in the Civic. Also, the rear window view is much smaller in the Civic. One of the things I liked with the Civic was the great backup camera with the factory Navi unit. I'm older (68), and stiffer, so turning around in the seat to try to see out the back window is more of a chore than when I was younger. The camera offers three different views out the back and I use them all, at one time or another. The color rendition is a bit off, but the view is a great addition. You can adjust the brightness if things are dark behind (and the auto brightness doesn't work as you'd like) and you can turn off the grid lines if you want. I view (pun intended) this camera system as a standard for the next car we buy.
5TAR likes this.

2013 CBP EX-L sedan w/Navi.: K&N Drop In
33,333 Mi.;Avg MPG:33 city;44 hiway;87 E10;ECON On
46 mos. old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
87,956 more Civics than Cruzen in '13
52,921 more Civics than Cruzen in '14
108,782 more Civics than Cruzen, in'15
145,771 September '16 YTD
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 01:16 PM

COnsidering how easy it is to put in the vehicle and the immense practicality of it, it really should be in all cars now basically. I'm sure it could save a few lives and far more dents and dings.
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post
I compare our '13 9th Gen. Civic against our '03 Mazda P5. The windows are smaller and the windowsills higher in the Civic. Also, the rear window view is much smaller in the Civic. One of the things I liked with the Civic was the great backup camera with the factory Navi unit. I'm older (68), and stiffer, so turning around in the seat to try to see out the back window is more of a chore than when I was younger. The camera offers three different views out the back and I use them all, at one time or another. The color rendition is a bit off, but the view is a great addition. You can adjust the brightness if things are dark behind (and the auto brightness doesn't work as you'd like) and you can turn off the grid lines if you want. I view (pun intended) this camera system as a standard for the next car we buy.
That auto brightness is something that needs to be improved even for smartphones.

Having experience with high quality cameras, those have amazing auto systems as you can imagine, that level of auto adjustment would be great to have for driving.
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 04:08 PM

I've also seen many concepts that have side windows that are slivers or even non-existent. I am thinking that cameras could replace mirrors altogether eventually. Especially as there is more and more other automatic safety technology coming into vehicles.
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

In those cameras I can see self-driving tech being implemented, tech that lets you know its safe to merge if that's what you need to do.

Even then i'd still be in the habit of checking where i'll merge myself.
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 03:55 PM

Just thought I would post up this render of the Cruze as a hatchback. What do you guys think?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page