Civic vs Prius - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Civic vs Prius

Before I bought my Touring Civic, I was seriously considering the 2016 Prius, also a newly designed model from previous years.

They both have similar top-of-the-line features (blind spot monitoring, lane control, automatic cruise control, etc.) but the only area where the Prius shines is in its MPG rating.

The big difference was that the Prius was $3000 more than the Civic. That amount buys a lot of gas!
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 02:57 AM

Have you had a chance to test drive the Prius? I will full admit that I haven't sampled the all new 2016 model yet, but I have driven the 3rd gen car. As capable a commuter and automotive appliance as it may be, it was also one of the most soul-sucking driving experience I have ever had. The 2016 model is supposed to be a lot more dynamic, and offers a bigger "fun" factor. But as long as the car reminds a hybrid where top MPG rating is their #1 goal, I can't imagine how boring it is to drive.

The 10th gen Civic is certainly no sports car, but at least in the 2.0L guise, it still has some of that old school Honda feel to it. It is the way more enjoyable car to drive.

Precision, Smoothness & Control
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 09:46 AM

The 2016 Prius just isn't that great looking and that's putting it lightly. That weird nose sticking out.. No idea what Toyota was thinking about when they did that.
RobbJK88 likes this.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tires View Post
The 2016 Prius just isn't that great looking and that's putting it lightly. That weird nose sticking out.. No idea what Toyota was thinking about when they did that.
Putting it lightly indeed... that thing is a mess of lines and angles and nonsense styling attempts at being "edgy and sporty" when all it looks like is awkward and sharp (like literally sharp to the touch). I'm actually a fan of Lexus' styling as of late, some really nice looking cars (even with the huge spindle grill) but toyota just seems to drop the styling ball over and over again consistently. There comes a point where bland styling is the better option over outrageous and polarizing "styling".

Yes, it gets great gas mileage. And if thats ALL you care about in a car along with good reliability, the prius is it.... but you care in the least about how a car handles, looks, and performs in areas other than just mpg... the prius is the worst.
4Tires likes this.

5 Civics in 10 years. I might be an addict.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 11:28 AM

I'm sure Toyota knows this and it actually benefits them since now the car stands out that much more, it makes a statement, maybe they figured that's what Prius owners want being that they're driving a hybrid and want it known.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5TAR View Post
I'm sure Toyota knows this and it actually benefits them since now the car stands out that much more, it makes a statement, maybe they figured that's what Prius owners want being that they're driving a hybrid and want it known.
But you can make the hybrid stand out without making it ugly, so I'm not convinced by that argument.
RobbJK88 likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil View Post
But you can make the hybrid stand out without making it ugly, so I'm not convinced by that argument.
Agreed. The new clarity IMO is a much better looking car, much more handsome. And honda's got a dedicated hybrid planned based on the clarity (same way the new prius is based on their hideous hydrogen fuel vehicle). No matter what genre of car it is they can be made to look good in order to stand out (some polarizing elements allowed) but when you over design a car just to stand out as much as possible without regard to actually making it look good then you're trying too hard and just creating an eyesore.

5 Civics in 10 years. I might be an addict.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:07 PM

Yes the Prius is more efficient, and better to drive than its predecessor. But surely it doesn't cost any more to make a good looking car than one that is ugly!!?? Hyundai figured it out with their Elantra and Accent. Although in their case it's too bad it apparently DOES cost more to design a car that you can actually see out of...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 10:24 PM

How about that dashboard in the new Prius. I could never get used to looking to the right to see how fast I'm going
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 04:09 PM

^^Honda Clarity^^

Although the front might be a bit overdone for my taste.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page