2017 Civic EX-L to start of 2017 - Long Introduction! - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By blacksheep
  • 1 Post By Dallasjhawk
  • 1 Post By blacksheep
  • 1 Post By Becky
  • 1 Post By pilot941

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

2017 Civic EX-L to start of 2017 - Long Introduction!

Happy New Years, everyone!

So, On the last day of the month and year of 2016, the wife and I traded in my 2015 CR-V and her 2015 Odyssey to get a 2017 CRV EX-L Navi for her and a 2017 Civic EX-L for me.

Our prior vehicles were new-ish, but we just lease anymore. We turn in our leases every 2 years or so and get into a newer model. We see no real sense in buying something that depreciates and gets harder to work on and more expensive to fix when things break. We just budget a lease payment into our overall monthly expenses and as long as we stay in that range, we are happy. All we really pay for is oil changes anymore.

So, the EX-L was a bittersweet choice:

- I REALLY wanted the Si (I miss my 8th gen Si sedan even now, the last true Si, if you ask me), but apparently the Si won't be out for close to another year.
- I REALLY wanted the hatchback (I have had many EG's and EK's). I liked its overall shape and such, but I thought it was just too "plastic-y" and a little too boy racer for me.
- The other niggling issue I have with the models below EX was the lack of options - no leather, no Apple carplay, no heated seats, no remote start, no smart entry etc

Also, facing the facts, I am older and the sedan just seemed to appeal to more "mature" me. Maybe this will hold me down till the Si comes out. I also have my S2000, which I can never get rid of and is probably the best affordable drivers car ever made.

Today, I ordered some huskyliner all-weather mats today. Also, ordered some OEM, clear sidemarkers. I need to research some HID bulbs, foglights and interior LED's.

I am interested in the Hondata flashpro options, but the $695 seems steep. I do wonder if this thing will handle well with a swaybar, springs and some better tires.

Oh, here is a pic, a very bad pic! Apparently, I cannot hyperlink it when its my 1st post!

Thanks for reading!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newrides.jpg (193.9 KB, 42 views)
Becky likes this.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:33 AM

Welcome! I bought my HID's from TheRetrofitSource.com I have the Morimoto HID Elite 35W 6500k H11B set. They are awesome. I tried LEDs in the low beams and they were horrible in the rain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5900.jpg (73.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5897.jpg (109.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5895.jpg (96.6 KB, 10 views)
pilot941 likes this.

Current Rides
2016 Civic EX-T
2004 Acura TSX

Previous Honda Rides-Stock unless noted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Accord Sport
2012 Accord EX
2009 Civic SI All Skunk2
2001 Accord V6 Coupe
1993 Delsol SOCH Turbo then DOCH NOS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 Prelude
1987 Prelude
1984 CRX
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:54 PM

Very nice. Love that silver color. Enjoy !

Would love to hear back from you about the new CRV. I was in the market for the Civic Hatch as well.
When it came out the large non-functional black plastic air in-takes threw me off the trail. The hatch just looks like they threw a lot of extra parts at it and waited to see what would stick. IMO it was a deal killer. The CRV is back on my list for now.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasjhawk View Post
Welcome! I bought my HID's from TheRetrofitSource.com I have the Morimoto HID Elite 35W 6500k H11B set. They are awesome. I tried LEDs in the low beams and they were horrible in the rain.
Thanks so much. The pictures help - I was told to look at Diode Dynamics who has a 3 year warranty and the have a 6000K, apparently.

Did you change up foglights as well? I almost want to do yellow bulbs, but don't wanna be ricer-ish. I had Nokya H11 on my DC2 back in the day, I don't know what this civic takes.

---------------------------------
2017 Civic EX-L Lunar Silver
2005 S2000 Rio Yellow Pearl
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, the 2017 CR-V is nice, allright. VERY NICE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post

Would love to hear back from you about the new CRV. I was in the market for the Civic Hatch as well.
When it came out the large non-functional black plastic air in-takes threw me off the trail. The hatch just looks like they threw a lot of extra parts at it and waited to see what would stick. IMO it was a deal killer. The CRV is back on my list for now.
Hi and thanks for the welcome note!

Man oh man, the wife definitely got the better ride, definitely!

I had a 2015 CR-V and man, the 2017 is better in every way. Aggressive looking, especially that front end, more room, more standard features, way more upscale and "fancy", dash and interior materials and finish. Its quieter and smoother. I could go on and on - the CR-V is awesome in every way.

She has the Navi with EX-L which is nice, but I can do without navigation and have Car Play if I really need it.

Now, let me be nitpicky:

Imagine meeting a wonderfully, beautiful smart woman who you fall in love with at 1st sight, but as you spend time with her - she belches loudly and lets noisy farts. It may be someone's dream woman, but certainly not mine. The CRV's engine/trans is just noisy and not in a good way. At start-up/warm-up and when getting into the throttle. I feel like my civic is quieter, almost. I noticed some engine design differences, I should post pics - it has a giant silencer box on the top of the engine o something.
Becky likes this.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post

Hit Reply too soon - I have to agree on your assessment of the hatch BTW - yes, tacky, tacked on. I do not like the Honda black vent work in front and rear and it seems bigger on the hatch, possibly? why I shy-ed away from it as well. I wish it came painted almost. Don't know if that would help or make it worse.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:55 PM

I actually really like LEDs, just installed a set in a buddies Jeep low-beams and they were quite a great difference. They have fans on them too to keep em' cool and you can't even hear em' at all.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 04:51 PM

Thanks for all the feed back Black Sheep. Much appreciated.
blacksheep likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasjhawk View Post
Due to your suggestion I just bought a pair of H11s from Theretrofitsource.com a few minutes ago. Should be here on Friday. I have the LEDs in my 2016 Civic EX-T and they are on par with the halogens-not very good. The HIDs should be a nice improvement. I bought 5500k
Dallasjhawk likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page