10th Honda Civic Forum banner

SI how many doors for YOU?

19K views 31 replies 30 participants last post by  RyanOfPA 
#1 ·
I wish there were a hatchback "SI."
But no...

So, one must decide on Sedan vs. Coupe.

OTHER THAN (the obvious) number of doors, how do YOU approach this decision. OK, if you have wife and 2 kids, this is easy. But what if you don't. WHAT OTHER FACTORS, etc. etc.

Thanks!

#3 ·
fwiw, i just moved my daughter to California for 3 months. we loaded up her 8th gen EX COUPE...drove 2340 miles, thru all weather, including snow. anyways, she has decided she will never have 2 doors again! it's been a great car for her college years...but, getting to the back seat is a horrendous chore. the coupe has way better handling than the sedan...but, it's not worth giving up the added daily convenience of the additional doors.

btw, i have a EX Sedan...and will continue to have a minimum of 4 doors.

#5 · (Edited)
how well the rear lights integrate to the trunk or hatchback lift gate

Dude, the utility of having a hatch with better rear taillights is invaluable. What good is a back seat if when you aren't using them (which is most of the time), you cant fold the **** out of them and have an opening like that with some size and with better ingress, at all times! Even if you arent hauling a thing, if you get tired, bust out a sleeping bag and have at it. I might get work as a field tech so having a hatch is good for hauling stuff like computer equipment.

#8 ·
I used to have an 8th gen si coupe and at the time it was perfect since I just graduated highschool and didnt need the extra room. Fast forward to 2014 and I needed more room for people/gear for work which is when I moved on to a Nissan maxima. Just picked up my 10th gen si sedan last week and it has the perfect amount of space I actually was able to get like 8 bags of top soil in the trunk with some other stuff yesterday. I would recommend planning a head if you foresee yourself needing that extra space in the next couple of years its not feasible to go coupe because then your gunna have to get a new car. If you can afford getting a new car when needed and you really like the coupe styling then go for it! Hope this helped a bit, best of luck!

#9 ·
I am a single guy. I currently drive a 9th gen Si sedan. I chose the sedan due to practicality. Plus wasn't a fan of the coupe they had in stock. When it comes to the 10th gen, the Si looks better in coupe form than in sedan, but idk if I'll be willing to give up the practicality for it. Would love an Si hatchback. I'll most likely get a sedan though, unless I find a Type R close to MSRP towards the end of the year.

#11 ·
I currently drive a 9th gen Si sedan - never had a sedan until this one. Only reason I got it was my better half's parents are mid 80's, and I figured when we'd visit...it would be easier for them to get in/out of, should we go to dinner, etc... When it came time for her to get a new car...she got a '16 EX-L coupe...so...i'm done with sedans. I'll have a 10th gen Si shortly - Coupe. I hate the way the back ends of the current sedans look (no disrespect to current owners)...the coupe looks so much more awesome to me.

#12 ·
I went 2 door coupe because I like the more sportier look of a two door and I don't plan to use the back seats often (I'll use them for beach or amusement park trips with a few friends here and there but I'll be mainly using the car to commute and grocery shop by myself). If I where in a position where I would be constantly using the back seats I would just get the 4 door Sedan.

#22 ·
6 weeks into owning my Si sedan, looked at the sport hatchback as an option for the additional cargo room, choose the Si sedan instead for a number of reasons. Absolutely no regrets! In the past year went from a Durango to a Fiat 500 now to my Honda. Great balance of performance and practicality. Just my ¢¢ for what its worth.

#24 ·
I'm in my mid 50's and climbing rapidly. Maybe my Sport Touring HB is my sensible mid-life crisis car. :) But even though the two kids are on their way to college and adult life, it is still nice to have four doors for friends and other family members as well as the hatch for stuff that wouldn't fit or be as easy to get in and out of a trunk. Plus, I think it just looks cooler. I'd love an SI but the stick would kill my knee because I commute in an urban area and it would be like this: 1st gear, 2nd gear, neutral, 1st gear, neutral, 1st gear, 2nd gear, wohoo 3rd gear, awww, neutral. That would be the first 200 yards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.