10th Honda Civic Forum banner

Civic Type R Variants Are Under Consideration

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  JDM4U 
#1 ·

What’s better than a 2017 Honda Civic Type R? A version with even more horsepower!

Honda’s latest hot hatch is on sale for the very first time in North America and this 2.0-liter turbocharged bundle of joy will put a smile on its fans faces with 306 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. On the dyno, this front-wheel drive car delivered an impressive 295 wheel horsepower with very little power lost between the engine and its wheels.

In order to maintain Type R sales momentum once all the enthusiasts has gotten their hands on one, Honda is already considering additional versions of the hot hatch in an effort to increase the model’s appeal.

“We’re hoping that by gradually putting out more [variants] that we’ll be able to maintain a more stable sales volume,” Hideki Matsumoto, chief engineer for the Civic model range, told Automotive News.

At the very top of their Type R list is an even more powerful and sporty variant, though no specific powertrain has been mentioned. Sitting under it could be a toned-down grand touring version and possibly an all-wheel-drive model as well, putting it in direct competition with awd standard rivals like the Volkswagen Golf R and Ford’s Focus RS.

Perhaps we’ll hear more of this after most of the Type R orders have been filled.

See less See more
#4 ·
In Canada only two color options available, black or white, while the US gets five. I'm sure that will be one change for next model year. Also last week someone mentioned they heard something about the Accord engine 6cyl for the type R. I will try to find it.

#5 ·
I'm not sure if I'm reading it wrong but I think you have the Accord and Type R info backwards. Your statement makes it sound like the Accord 6cyl will be in a Type R.

I read in a post at the 6cyl in the Accord is being replaced with a 2.0L turbo which will basically be a detuned Type R engine. HP and Trq will be about the same as the 6 cyl or with a slight increase.

I found websites that stated the 2018 Honda Accord will use the 1.5 and 2.0 Turbos.

#8 ·
That's business. That's how it has always been. Next year there shouldn't be high markups are there are this year, or not as high anyway.

Accords are getting a detuned type r engine, there will be no more v6 in accords. I doubt Honda will add a V6 into a type r too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.