First oil change 2016 civic - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

First oil change 2016 civic

Alrighty so I have a Issue id like help with.. I bought a 2016 civic lx in February and just yesterday April 23rd I did its first oil change.. Here were the steps I did
1. Took off the plate under the car protecting the components
2. Drained the oil
Now here's where it gets crazy.. On my dashboard I was only getting a code to do a oil change without the filter change I read the forums people were saying Honda suggest doing the oil and filter change every other oil change so I did just that only doing a oil change without filter so I drained the oil cleaned it up put 4.2 is qrtz of mobile 1 full synthetic oil in the engine and took my car off the ramps let it sit on a leveled surface for about 5 mins to let the oil set checked the dip stick and it was perfect .. I went to reset the oil life meter and hoping the "A" code will go away a "B" pops up letting me now know to do a filter change.. So I drive the car that I just put new oil into to autozone got a filter went home and put it on and yes some oil did come out but I was thinking it was the old oil so put the new filter on and then I rested the oil life minder again hoping the "B" will go away now I'm getting a "A" code again for a oil change someone please help!!
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 09:56 AM

Julian, it's only software, so I'm sure there's a sequence of push buttons that will reset the prompts. However, I have to question the wisdom of changing only the oil or filter. My recommendation is to change both oil and filter when needed.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 11:09 AM
CY7

Garage
when I bought the new car salesman said you need came every oil change to dealer for under the warranty your dealer didn't said anything about the oil change ?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 11:24 AM

what mileage are you supposed to change oil at? I believe my salesman said every 10K which I thought was ridiculous. I prefer every 3K which is what I am going to do. I do believe it tells you in the owners manual on how to reset your oil change code.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 02:12 PM

It is absolutely false that you need to have dealer change oil to keep warranty CY7. As long as you have proof of the oil purchases and filter purchases, and document in your manual when you did changes, that is fine. I always keep the portion of the flap on the filter box showing which filter I bought and write the mileage on it and keep it in my owner's manual.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 02:13 PM

Vader, as long as you are not doing heavy traffic stop and go, or mainly short trips, 10k is fine, but I only use Synthetic oil and quality filters.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

I'll try to answer everyone's question at once.. My dealer did tell me they will do the first change for free which was cool with me but I really wanted to do it by myself to ensure myself that my car is getting what it really needs.. And yes I did reset the oil life code where the codes show up but it still comes up as if I never did a oil change.. The reason why I just did the oil change was because someone on the forums was saying that their dealer told them to do the filter change as well every other oil change but after I did my oil change I reseted the code thing and it piped up as a filter change i changed the filter again and now it's telling me to do another oil change I've already checked the dipstick the oil is good
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 05:05 PM

Do you also use a filter in the drain pan where you drain oil to check for metal shavings? I heard it's a good thing to do, not sure how bad those shavings can get and if it's worth tracking them but I see a lot of people do it. I guess shavings might show up most in the first few oil changes?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 07:59 PM

My 9th gen. has always shown a "B" on the MM after an "A" change. The MM is always showing what service is due next. You just did an "A" change, so the MM should be showing a "B". Any time you check the vehicle maintenance panel, it will show you the upcoming maintenance schedule, even if it's just after an oil change. FWIW, I always change the filter when I change the oil. I've been following the MM and changing oil/filter when the oil life measures 15% or shortly there after. Last week I changed Black Betty's oil/filter at 10%. I use Mobil1 full syn. 0W-20 oil and an M1 110 filter.

2013 CBP EX-L sedan w/Navi.: K&N Drop In
33,333 Mi.;Avg MPG:33 city;44 hiway;87 E10;ECON On
46 mos. old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
87,956 more Civics than Cruzen in '13
52,921 more Civics than Cruzen in '14
108,782 more Civics than Cruzen, in'15
145,771 September '16 YTD
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 08:50 PM

Another good thing to change at every oil change is the drain plug washer. Not everyone changes it every oil change but it's too cheap not to do. Along with changing that, some change the drain plug every oil change, excessive but it can make sense.

Anyone perform an entire oil change service where you lube hinges, doors, check tire pressure, etc?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page