Audio formats USB - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 9Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Audio formats USB

Hi all, for some reason I'm so far having some trouble locating the right information for the audio/phone system in our new Civic EX. Today I loaded some MP3 files onto a USB flash drive and put it in the slot behind the console and while it recognized all the file names and it listed them all in order, each time I tried to select one it told me it was "Nonplayable format"
Can someone advise just what type of file formats this radio can recognize ? I'm a little surprised it wouldn't recognize MP3 as its a rather common format these days. I can convert them at home to just about any format if I knew which format it can read. I've seen nothing about all of this in the manual.
Thanks guys !
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
.....Surely someone knows what music formats this audio system can recognize. ? ?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 08:20 AM

Mp3 format should work. Also try putting your USB drive in FAT32 format.
Maybe try with another USB device and see if it's a usb problem.
Black Jackyl likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks 4 Tires I'll have to keep messing with it.
I don't know if this thing is quirky or if it's just me
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 02:25 PM

It's quirky alright. Such is the way with "state of the art" OEM infotainment systems. But an MP3 should play. See OM p. 273:
Quote:
"Your audio system reads and plays sound files on a USB flash drive in either MP3,
WMA, or AAC*1 format."
Start simple: one MP3 file in the root of a newly FAT32 formatted device.
Black Jackyl likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:22 AM

Let us know what works! If all else fails you could always just give your dealership a call and ask them what format is needed.
Black Jackyl likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 10:26 AM

MP4 format might also work since it's one of the most popular formats around right now and might be what this system has been programmed to pick up on. And of course MP3 is another very common one. Even on computers this is a problem, no all programs will play all file formats.
Black Jackyl likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 09:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jackyl View Post
Hi all, for some reason I'm so far having some trouble locating the right information for the audio/phone system in our new Civic EX. Today I loaded some MP3 files onto a USB flash drive and put it in the slot behind the console and while it recognized all the file names and it listed them all in order, each time I tried to select one it told me it was "Nonplayable format"
Can someone advise just what type of file formats this radio can recognize ? I'm a little surprised it wouldn't recognize MP3 as its a rather common format these days. I can convert them at home to just about any format if I knew which format it can read. I've seen nothing about all of this in the manual.
Thanks guys !
I believe it has to be an mp3 file type. I had the same issue and had to convert the unplayable files. Let me know if that works out. If not, I will ask my tech guy what he did to reformat the files that wouldn't play in my car.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 10:34 AM

You can even try contacting Honda, not the dealership, Honda's help line. Then of course there's the owners manual which I think sometimes outlines stuff like this. With how connected tech like this is these days I wouldn't be surprised.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm going to try a different flash drive but the one I have is formatted to FAT32 and all of the files are in MP3 format. I'm going to try just one or 2 files on a different drive. I'll be back

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page