"Honda's Maddening Rev Hang" - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

"Honda's Maddening Rev Hang"

Road and Track does a First Drive of the new hatchback:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...k-first-drive/

Direct quote from the article:

Not that the six-speed manual is perfect—Honda's maddening rev-hang on upshifts is here in a big way. Shifting near redline on hard acceleration, the engine sometimes surges for a full second with your foot off the accelerator and the clutch depressed.

I drove an SI way back in '08, and immediately noticed the "rev hang" with the "fly-by-wire" setup. You would think that in the years since, the programmers could alleviate this, but I guess it's just too hard. I prefer the lighter coupe over the hatchback, but the preferred drivetrain (for me) is the same - 1.5 turbo with 6MT. Usually there is some "method to the madness" for such weirdness as the rev hang, but it has eluded me...and Honda, it appears.

Ignorance is curable - but stupidity is fatal
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 12:29 PM

Most likely they know what to do to fix it... but it's possible that the benefits are outweighed by negatives such a change might make. I'm not an expert, but if there was a logical fix, that didn't cause other problems, honda would've done it on the 10th gens i think.
Smith likes this.

5 Civics in 10 years. I might be an addict.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbJK88 View Post
Most likely they know what to do to fix it... but it's possible that the benefits are outweighed by negatives such a change might make. I'm not an expert, but if there was a logical fix, that didn't cause other problems, honda would've done it on the 10th gens i think.
Usually that's the case especially when it wont impact the bottom line since at the end of the day this wont be a deal breaker for the many out there. Instead it's something most people will live with til a fix comes out. I sure wouldn't mind waiting.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 01:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to kseriesparts
Don't worry, Hondata Flashpro will help this go away.
di5order likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 03:21 PM

probably some sort of emissions thing.
Houckinternet likes this.

Current Rides
2016 Civic EX-T 2004 Acura TSX

Previous Honda Rides-Stock unless noted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Accord Sport 2012 Accord EX 2009 Civic SI All Skunk2 2001 Accord V6 Coupe
1993 Delsol SOCH Turbo then DOCH NOS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1993 Prelude 1987 Prelude 1984 CRX
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kseriesparts View Post
Don't worry, Hondata Flashpro will help this go away.
LOL - it also makes $700 go away! Then again, that's probably cheaper than fabricating a mechanical direct linkage to the throttle body, and just bypass the ECU, which may not be possible with DI. Curious - how does the Flashpro get rid of it? What parameter(s) does it change? Would Hondata sell a stripped down (cheaper) version that would get rid of the hang, without all the other bells and whistles? Curious minds want to know.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
There is a setting in Flash Pro that deals with rev hang.But Flash Pro also will unlock more HP on the 1.5-T.This issue was a problem with the 12 SI but after Vitaliy tuned my SI the rev hang was gone plus extra ponies.
kseriesparts likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 06:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to kseriesparts
This is how the buddy club Throttle Cable Booster worked.

"This device helps alleviate throttle lag the DBW systems typically expierence. On the dyno, we have noticed that at full throttle on DBW systems, the throttle plate is not fully opened at 100% WOT(wide open throttle). Like a traditional "throttle cable" based system, when you floor the gas pedal, your throttle plate is opened 100%. On a DWB system, we are seeing a common percentage of 90-94% on WOT. This unit will correct this and allow you full potential for your DBW equipped vehicle. No more swapping back to a throttle cable based system. "

As DBW is computer controlled, you can set the perimeters on the TB differently.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Rev hang is a ECU influenced condition as far as I know.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kseriesparts View Post
This is how the buddy club Throttle Cable Booster worked.

As DBW is computer controlled, you can set the perimeters on the TB differently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathklok View Post
Rev hang is a ECU influenced condition as far as I know.
You both are correct, it's entirely software driven, and that's why the rev hang is so maddening! I just wish there was a cheaper way to bypass. I'm not really interested in making more power, I just want to make it more driveable, that's all.
kseriesparts likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page