First time buyer 2017 ext no idea what I need - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jesstzn
  • 1 Post By Jesstzn
  • 1 Post By Crash

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

First time buyer 2017 ext no idea what I need

So I bought a ext white two days ago. I didn't get that anti-rust package he offered (cost around 1.2k).
He said only honda can do it properly cause they have a special tool to open a lid in the door and spray some anti-rust(?) inside the car, if I do it elsewhere they will have to drill a hole and that will void the warranty or something. He also mention by not getting the anti-rust package, I have to sign a wavier form (that scared me a bit), and it will affect me when I sell it or something. Can someone explain this to me better?

Most of all this is my first car, I have no idea what I need to do for the car. for example: how do I keep the pearl white color from turning into yellowish-white I've seen on older car. Should I get anti-rust, is it really necessary nowadays? How often should I clean my car. He mention something about protection on the bottom of the car too, Im not sure what that's about.

Welcome any sort of advises. Thanks guys!!
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the forum.

Past Civic:2013 SI RV6 Downpipe,Invidia Q300 Flash Pro tuned
Present Accord 2016 Sport.Tint and sport grill
Present Civic:2016 EX-T,Mishimoto Intake,VitViper Tuned for 91/87 octane.
TSW Rotary Forged Nurburgring 17X7.5 Wheels,JDM Badges,Carbon Fiber Rear Window Visor.Stay tuned for some exciting Modifications to come soon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Deathklok; 04-23-2017 at 08:57 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 08:18 PM

Rust shouldn't be an issue for the car until like 10+ years or more lol. Same with that under body protection never heard of it. Probs just some stealership gimmicks they trying to get you to pay more.

From your post it makes me think you got ripped off on the car price with all these dealer bonuses.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 10:02 AM

Rust protection and paint protection are expensive upsells that are basically a rip off.

Your paint will be fine if you treat it right .. wash it with the proper soap .. learn how to dry it .. and apply a sealant a couple times a year .
Deathklok likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 10:08 AM

Hope this doesn't double post ..

A) Rust protection and paint protection is a dealer upsell and a rip off .

B) Learn how to properly wash and dry the car

C) Go to carquest and get a bottle of Duragloss #105 sealant and apply it a couple times a year .. white paint turning yellow doesn't happen a lot now days ... if the car is kept up ..
Deathklok likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 01:19 PM

Where the car lives has a lot to do with how well the paint, and the car in general, will age. If its garage kept and you live where the roads aren't 75% salt for 9 months a year all you need to do is wash it occasionally. If it spends most of its time outside in 100 degree sun, you'll want to be more diligent about waxing regularly and protecting the paint.

But if you do live where there is snow for a significant part of the year, then you may want to look into some form of rust protection. Find a Canadian, they know how to deal with that stuff. Salted roads mean oil undersprays, anti-rust protection, and all sorts of other things that sound stupid in places where it's sunny, are normal recommended practice.

Either way, your hard-selling dealer sounds like a bit of a d-bag.
HatchedCivic likes this.

2013 CR-Z + HPD SC / 2017 Civic EX-T Coupe
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
@ OP, I am Canadian(east coast) , and yes if we don't do extra to take care of our cars they will not have a body in five years. The car manufactures are partnered with the big aftermarket rust protection companies and provide them with locations where to drill and spray, it will not void your warranty!

FROM THE GREAT WHITE NORTH
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:37 PM

I've never had any Honda dealer mention a waiver for not buying rust protection, and these were Northern Ontario dealers.... the salesman is BS'ing you.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybc View Post
I've never had any Honda dealer mention a waiver for not buying rust protection, and these were Northern Ontario dealers.... the salesman is BS'ing you.

More like conning him ... I would sign the waiver ... get a copy and forward it to Honda USA .. get him fired.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:17 AM

Tell ya a little secret .. I live in CanaDUH .. snow country ... a lot of rust proofing solutions can actually plug critical drain holes. In the winter if I can't physically wash it properly at home I go to the spray wash and use the rinse "only" and dissolve and get off as much crud as I can and let the water flush out the drain passages. Also spray the underside. Don't use the brushes and the soap is very harsh ... will remove waxes etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page