10th Honda Civic Forum banner

New Civic Hatch EX - keyless entry and vol ctrl problems

9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  bensonr2 
#1 ·
I just picked up a 2017 Honda Civic Hatch EX this week.

I am really enjoying it so far; it is a huge upgrade from my 2015 Fit EX that had been totaled by another driver.

I do have a couple small problems with the keyless entry and the infotainment. And I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid before I go through the trouble of bringing it back for service.

First is the volume slider on the steering wheel. The salesmen showed me that the slider is supposed to be touch sensitive so you can slide the vol up and down with your finger. He noticed it wasn't working. I didn't believe him at first but he showed me another car on the lot that this worked on.

Second thing which I didn't notice until the next day is the keyless entry is not working consistently. It seems like the car "goes to sleep" after a min and the keyless entry won't work when I put my hand through the handle. Nothing happens. But if I hit lock on the keyfob it seems to "wake the car back up" and then it will respond to your hand through the door handle. I timed it today and it seems like it takes 60 seconds to go to sleep.

Any suggestions? I tried using the "default" button in settings for both the keyless and door window settings.

See less See more
#2 ·
The volume switch doesn't swipe on the Hatchback version.The auto lock features can be buggy from past comments on this subject.Personally for my car I simply touch one of the front door handles and all the doors unlock.The auto lock iv found if I exit the car and step back one step then close the door it functions as it should.1 beep and then it automatically locks all 4.2 beeps happens rarely,but it does happen.

#3 ·
I don't know... I'm pretty sure my salesman showed me a sport touring hatch to show me how it is supposed to work. Though its always possible it was the sedan and I didn't realize. But it would be odd to be a feature on another car with the same steering wheel from the same lineup. Especially since the hatch came out later.

Also I found this in the manual for the 2017 hatch:

(+ / (- Bar
Press to adjust the volume up/down.
Sliding up or down also increases or
decreases the volume.
Swipe down quickly to mute the volume
and swipe up to cancel the mute.

But that's a minor feature. The keyless entry not working correctly is a bigger issue to me. Especially since this worked fine on my Fit. It really seems like the car receiver "goes to sleep". I'm not willing to accept that this is "buggy". If this is a known issue I am completely willing to accept that and wait until a fix is issued.

Does Honda have a customer service number that will help troubleshoot? Or are they likely to just tell me to bring it in for service.

#5 ·
The smart key problem has been addressed multiple times on here. We are pretty sure it's a software bug with the proximity sensor on the car. Disconnect the negative connection to your battery for a min and then reconnect it. Drive your car around the block to give it time to reboot the electronics. Problem solved. Been over a month now and my smart key has not given me issues and has worked flawlessly. Obviously it shouldn't happen and hopefully Honda has a long-term fix for it, but at least it's a simple DYI fix at home. It only seems to be occuring on the HB models so I'm assuming it has to do with their manufacturing plant in England.

#6 ·
Well I am glad to hear I am not the only one. I went to my local Honda service first thing this morning. They had the car all day and I finally picked it back up just now.

Sounds like they spent most of the day talking to their tech support line in California.

Regarding the touch sensitivity on the steering wheel volume they say the tech support line told them there is no setting in the software for the hatch version but "maybe" it will be added if there is ever a software update. Sounds like they are trying to avoid admitting there was an over site with this. I checked this physical copy of my manual just now and found the reference to the touch feature. So its BS if they are claiming this wasn't intended to be a feature on this model same as the sedan and coupe versions.

Regarding the keyless. They claim the tech support line never heard of this problem before and are looking into. I am supposed to bring the car back next Monday when they will have a loaner available for me so they can play with the car a couple days. I will mention to them that the forum claimed this is a recurring issue and can temporarily be fixed by resetting everything when disconnecting the batter.

#8 ·
Yeah I don't see this setting as available.

So something strange I noticed. There is clear mention of the feature on the steering wheel audio controls section of the physical manual I received.

But I used the hondalink app to view my civic's owners manual and in that version there is no reference to it.

#9 ·
The car was just at the dealership all day today.

They said they need to order a part that's backordered. So I will be bringing it back in a month or so.

I'm thinking in the meantime of disconnecting the battery to do a reset. And regardless as to whether that fixes the keyless entry let them replace whatever part they were planning on when it comes in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.