Need Tires and alignment - Does VSA require dealer to do it? - 10th Gen Civic Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Need Tires and alignment - Does VSA require dealer to do it?

I'm in need of a new set of tires for my 22 month old 2016 LX. Tires are at 4/32 and cupped and need replacements.

So Glad to be able to ditch the Firestones (I've been driving almost 40 years and never a fan of their tires)

I have a reliable local tire and alignment shop I use and want to get them to do the install of my new tires and do an all whee alignment.

Tire Guy asked a question that I could not answer.

My car has VSA and he said that with some stability control systems he can't do the alignment because the system needs to be recalibrated at the dealer .

I'm looking for answers..

on a 2016 Civic with VSA can a local alignment shop do it or must it go back to the dealer??

Any help?
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Guess since nobody knows, and nothing shows up in any searches I guess it's no big deal.

I'll have to call my stealership and see if they will pony up the info.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 09:16 AM

i've never heard of that before. Millions of tires are sold each year and thousands of cars are in need of them which have VSA systems.

what i think he meant to say was the TPMS system may need to be recalibrated....only if yours is broke. being that your car is newer, your TPMS system shouldn't be broken, unless they (tire installer) broke it.

can't remember if the 10th gen civics use indirect TPMS system or not. if they do, putting on new tires is just like it was back in the 70's. dismount, remount, balance and install. you will do the TPMS reset once the new tires are installed from your i-mid screen.

hiding from those who might be looking for me

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear24 View Post
can't remember if the 10th gen civics use indirect TPMS system or not. if they do, putting on new tires is just like it was back in the 70's. dismount, remount, balance and install. you will do the TPMS reset once the new tires are installed from your i-mid screen.
The TPMS and VSA get their data from the ABS system and there are no external pressure sensors. While a calibration will most certainly be required after fitment of new tires, that is done either with a dash mounted button or through the infotainment system (for cars with the display audio system).

Changing tires and an alignment should be extremely straightforward on these cars.

Mike

Just because you can does not mean that you should.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:18 PM

I'm in same scenario, wondering what tires you will be switching to?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page