Question about 'deal' for 2019 Civic EX Hatch - 10th Gen Civic Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Question about 'deal' for 2019 Civic EX Hatch

Hello first post here, just found this by googling civic forum...,

Backstory: I went to this dealership 2 days ago for a used 2019 Civic EX Hatch that was Honda Certified Pre-owned, 3,800 miles, owned for 6 months by 1 owner with a clear carfax listed on cars.com for $20,883. I have a 2008 cosmetically damaged car that carmax appraised for $2,000 for a trade in (kbb, edmunds, etc estimated $2,500 - $3,500 for an undamaged one). I was hoping to get it OTD for ~$20,000 - $21,000 since I doubted I'd get the full $2,000 trade in especially since they knew I drove a decent distance. Apparently another sales person sold it within an hour of me calling to check with another guy if it was still there, so after I made the 1.5 hour trek over there it was gone.

They tried to make me an offer on a new 2019 instead since they only had a '17, but even though the guy said he'd go Godfather on me with a deal I couldn't refuse, their offer was basically msrp + tax - tradein = msrp... so I almost laughed ($24,800ish OTD on a new last year model... lol).

So they followed up with me today and said if I come in today or tomorrow (End of month sales quotes to make, I suppose) they'd give me an "Sales price plus tax of $23,588" which I got him to tell me resulted in OTD price (inc trade in) on a new 2019 of $22,918. So $2,000 - $3,000 more than I was hoping to spend, BUT it is brand new. Not a bank breaker, but not pocket change either.

I like the civic hatchbacks aesthetically and the features are nice (slightly better than the Camry I looked at in the same price range, with the Civic's extra mirror camera and the android stuff that Camry didn't have), but I don't know if I love the seat. My first test drive last weekend left my lower back hurting, but the test drive I did 2 days ago didn't result in back pain, but my neck was bothering me a bit already from the drive over so I couldn't tell how good the seat was - the headrest felt a bit aggressively forward). I'm going to test drive another '19 hatchback tonight at a closer dealer to see if I can figure that out now that my neck isn't bothering me.

So my question is what kind of a good deal is this, if it's even a good deal? It doesn't seem AMAZING to me, especially since I drove 90 mins both ways to waste time 2 days ago, but it seems okay. I'm leaning towards not great but I wanna see what some other people think.

Central Ohio.

thanks

Last edited by Bags; 10-30-2019 at 05:29 PM.
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:48 PM

Hi Bags, Don't walk...run away from that Civic. I leased a 2019 EXL in July and after a couple days my neck and back were absolutely killing me. I kept the car for 6 weeks and couldn't take it anymore. It just got worse. I was in physical therapy and seeing other doctors as well. No amount of seat adjustments or car pillows from Amazon worked...I went thru about 15 of them. The finally agreed to let me out of the lease after 6 weeks...1200 miles and kept my down payment of $4K. I am still without a car. I'm borrowing a friend's car...lucky he has an extra. I watched when they relisted the car as well ... checked the VIN. They reflected the list price as $27,989...I still have the original car sticker reflecting all info and the total value with destination as $25,520. So they lied and bumped up the price on the car and kept my money too...double dipping and pretty sleazy. This was Joyce Honda and I did post something on their facebook page within a week of getting the car. It's still there.

Last edited by suez; 11-06-2019 at 10:53 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 09:02 PM

Almost sounds like you were a victim of "Bait & Switch". A common practice among some unscrupulous dealers.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:58 PM

Question Back Pain

That price seems pretty standard for an EX. I paid just under $24k. for a Touring (nearly identical to the white one in the banner above) and knew that was a sweet deal at the time. Not sure if this helps you gauge or not, but some info for you to chew on.

Can I ask how tall you two are? I've driven a lot of cars and honestly the Civic Touring seat has been one of the most comfortable while also supportive seats I've had the pleasure of trekking in. I drove from DC to Ft. Lauderdale and back and was amazed that I experienced no discomfort (not even that stop back-straightening relief feeling I've had in other cars). I'm curious to know how your relative size might be causing discomfort. I'm 5'10" - 150lbs.

Thanks and good luck! Let us know what you decide w/ the new EX!

Wolfgang

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page