10th Honda Civic Forum banner

What to Hate or Love about the 2016+ Civic?

198K views 208 replies 99 participants last post by  blackcivic2019 
#1 ·
Just about every vehicle has something to love or hate, and the 2016+ Civic is no different. At this point we've seen enough in person and online, forming a solid foundation to point out exactly what we Hate or Love. Now this is your opportunity to share those points, Honda might be watching ;)

#3 ·
Amen to that!

I was at Honda yesterday to service my 2007 Fit, and they had one '16 Civic in the showroom -- a black LX with auto trans. Overall I liked it very much, though I won't get the sedan (waiting for hatchback). There wasn't as much headroom front or rear as my Fit, and my hair was brushing the roof in back (I'm 6'-1"). The cockpit was very nice except the 4.5" touchscreen. All other trims get the 7" screen with CarPlay, so why punish LX buyers? When you're already paying $18k+ for a car, adding a couple $hundred for the infotainment system won't change the equation much -- except maybe to send potential buyers to a competing brand rather than settle for the substandard 4.5.

#178 ·
I didn't read the whole thread yet, but:

I've had my car for just over 2 weeks and the one thing that's really missing is the sunglass cubby in the roof console I don't know why they left it out but I can't stand it but other than that haven't had any problems
No kidding.

Does anyone know if there are any threads on horn replacements for the 2016s? I was in my 2016 Civic Touring last night and had to warn a driver who was changing lanes without checking that it was clear (IOW, I was "in the way"). She managed to hear the horn, but it sounded like the automotive equivalent of a 2 year old child wailing in the supermarket checkout because mom or dad wouldn't buy them a candy bar. :(

Honda did put a boatload of features in the new Civic, especially in the Touring. But they really dropped the ball on a few inexpensive items that many would appreciate them adding or improving (the anemic horn, the glove compartment with the door that crudely flops down and lacks a light and a lock, no sunglasses compartment, etc.). If they were trying to save money, for example I could survive without rear seat heaters in a mainstream compact car. But off all of those things, the horn is the most frustrating to me.

Thanks!
I replaced a wimpy wimpy horn in my 2013 Soul with an Ooogah! horn. Just find a place to bolt it in and plug and play.

Bookoo aftermarket horns. Train whistle is usually effective.

I love the lane change camera on the right mirror!
THAT is so cool!
I drove an Acura ILX and missed it. Also no sunglass compartment in Acura either. WTF.

#13 ·
The ones I've seen on dealer lots so far have quite a sizeable gap around the decklid. One EX-T had the bottom corner of the driver's side taillight broken. I'm surprised it passed through quality inspection at the factory. Perhaps it happened during transit.

Also, the leather seats in the rear are not perforated like the front seats.

#14 ·
4 day EX-L Owner. Here are my gripes:

1. Center console/armrest insanity. Does anyone really have a 2 foot tall drink? Even the SBUX Trenta cup fits in the top holder. There's no need for so many sliding parts. This could have been dramatically simplified. (The easter egg was neat though.)

2. Since the speedometer is a screen, they should offer an analog view - instead of only a digital one.

3. No memory buttons for the power seats?

4. Homelink Garage Door opener would have been nice.

5. Sunglass space would have been nice.

6. Wish the back seat didn't use hard plastic on the sides - that it would be more "seat-like" instead

7. Waze is perpetually screwed up when it tries to announce the directions. Sometimes it comes out of the phone's speaker. Sometimes it comes out of the car. Sometimes it is just silent. I have no clue what the right settings are. This is driving me nuts. (Help anyone?)

8. The UI / menu tree is overly complicated and slow. Reminds me of so many other Japanese products that I've used (Sony RX100, JAL 787 inflight). [I'm really picking as I work on product user interfaces.]

9. Some more USB ports and at higher amps in the dash would've been nice.

10. The steering wheel volume up/down requires a real stretch of my thumb. It's also weird that sliding it is the same as pressing it.

11. I wish I had spotted these scratches BEFORE I left the dealer's lot. :(

Attachments

#17 ·
I bought my Touring yesterday and my biggest issue has been getting the sound to work on the "sound deck"/radio. Does anyone know what the issue is? How to do the "hard reset" I hear some others talking about? I'm wondering if it's a bug that needs reset/reprogrammed by the dealership.

#19 · (Edited)
The issue is buggy software. Hard reset is pulling fuses 18 and 19 or disconnecting a battery connection. it's lots of bugs that the dealer can't do anything about until Honda issues an update. Hopefully Honda issues that update in a way that you can perform it yourself rather than have to go get the dealer to do it. In order to put pressure on Honda to actually issue an update, you should complain to both the dealer and Honda. From 3 years experience as an owner of the incredibly buggy MyFordTouch infotainment system, I conclude the only way to get the problems fixed is for customers and the media to make life miserable for Honda until they do. Otherwise, it's just a another car they sold.

Honda In-Car Technology Support desk: (888) 528-7876

#20 · (Edited)
I've had my Civic Touring for just under a week, and I thought I'd share some of my impressions:

Several of my dislikes have been cited by others... lack of sunglass holder, Homelink, power seat memory, and not enough USB ports.

A few additional ones of my own:

1. OMG, the freaking horn! You blow the horn and you're immediately considered to be driving a toy car. If I wanted a car that sounded like a Mitsubishi Mirage, I would have bought one and saved $10000+.
  2. On top trim models such as the Touring and EX-L, the driver's seat should have adjustable lumbar support. (However, the built-in lumbar support feels pretty good, at least so far).
  3. Lack of damping on the glove compartment door.
  4. Too thin padding on the armrests on the doors.
  5. Compass reading should be a permanent fixture of the IP, rather than being tucked away in a DII screen.
  6. The Honda Sensing components fall short of the hype to some degree. The Adaptive Cruise Control tends to brake too hard regardless of the distance setting. And the Lane Keeping Assist jerks the steering wheel too much.

Things I like:

1. Powertrain in general. Noticeably faster than the 9G Accord I4. CVT is smoother, perhaps helped by the 1.5t reaching max torque at a lower rpm.
  2. Gas mileage looks promising. A 25 mile drive on suburban roads (45 - 55 mph, several stoplights) yielded 41 mpg per the trip computer. Too early to draw any conclusions, but it's a good start.
  3. I've been fortunate enough (knock on wood) not to have encountered the sound system problems that others have reported. Given that I'm on my 7th Honda with "premium audio" since 2000 (all of the prior ones were Accords), from my previous experience, to my ear the Civic's "premium" audio system is the only one of these that deserves to be called "premium".
  4. I also seem to have dodged the fit and finish issues others have reported (again, knock on wood). On mine, exterior panels and interior components fit well, with no excessive gaps or misalignments.
  5. Ride and handling are pluses, improving on that of the 9G Accords. The Civic is much more controlled over rough roads. And it corners more enthusiastically as well... where the Accord starts to run a bit wide on a curve, the Civic still follows it with precision.
  6. I love the fact that the Civic's turning radius is 3 feet smaller than that of the 9G Accord, resulting in a much better car in tight spots.

So far, my impression is that the pros outweigh the cons. Overall, it's a very impressive car, particularly for a mainstream compact sedan.

Comments welcomed. :nerd:

#21 ·
I was unaware there was not basic AUX input, that does suck. I use aux everyday on my current car and it is much easier than messing with bluetooth. Had the car for over two years and I've never paired a single phone to it. Funny as I'm a huge tech geek and have had say 6 phones in this time frame and I work in computers and IT and you'd think I would jump right on it. Nope, prefer the good old aux cable.

Hope the bugs are worked out by the time I am ready to buy as these audio issues are pretty widespread.

#34 ·
CD Player

No CD player and no AUX input. Very disappointing. I liked to listen to books on CD's I borrow from the library on my prior Civic and now can't do that with my 16 EX.
Anyone have a suggestion on a good simple way to listen to CDs through the Honda audio system?

#25 ·
That's straight from the Honda press release.
Key Comfort and Convenience Features
• …
• Driver Preference Settings* (available)
• …
* First for Civic

Driver Preferences
The Civic EX and above trims come with two keyless remotes with unique identifiers. Each remote can be set with unique profiles to accommodate the individual preferences of two different drivers. The available preferences include driver seat and mirror positions. Other preferences include audio system pre-sets, air conditioning preferences, and navigation system settings. In the event both owners use the car at the same time, the Civic will recognize the keyless remote that approaches the driver's door first.

[from the features v trim level matrix]
Driver Preferences System EX EX-T EX-L Touring
Only problem is that it isn't clear that any of it was true. Especially the part about mirrors and seats.

#28 ·
They could have at least offered the 6 speed manual on the regular EX trim without Honda Sensing.

I am happy that Honda has stuck with smaller spoilers that make sense from a style standpoint.

Does anyone else not want a return to the early Fast and the Furious days when people were dressing up their Civics with huge wings, crazy body kits and fart can exhausts giving the car a bad name in the performance community? This was just ridiculous. I say this being 30 years old.

#29 ·
I can't really see those mods on the Civics anymore. Maybe the Type R but not the Sedan or Coupe. There's always going to be those extreme modders who turns their ride into something from Fast and Furious but I don't think Civic owners are part of this demographic.

I like the new Civics as is and the missing 6 speed manual on the EX trim isn't and issue for me. I can't drive manual.

#30 ·
Information on horn upgrades?

Does anyone know if there are any threads on horn replacements for the 2016s? I was in my 2016 Civic Touring last night and had to warn a driver who was changing lanes without checking that it was clear (IOW, I was "in the way"). She managed to hear the horn, but it sounded like the automotive equivalent of a 2 year old child wailing in the supermarket checkout because mom or dad wouldn't buy them a candy bar. :(

Honda did put a boatload of features in the new Civic, especially in the Touring. But they really dropped the ball on a few inexpensive items that many would appreciate them adding or improving (the anemic horn, the glove compartment with the door that crudely flops down and lacks a light and a lock, no sunglasses compartment, etc.). If they were trying to save money, for example I could survive without rear seat heaters in a mainstream compact car. But off all of those things, the horn is the most frustrating to me.

Thanks!

#175 ·

Thanks!
Hi... newbie here... were you able to locate a horn upgrade?? If not, here is a link of who may have what you're looking for. Visit College Hills Honda and enter "horn" into search... they had several options to pick from. Not sure which year/model of Hondas that these are meant for... may be universal. College Hills Honda is a very good site for accessories...Their installation videos are bar none the best!! ;)

#32 ·
Anemic hors are kinda a Honda signature item so I believe they do it on purpose. I would expect that College Hills Honda will have a replacement here soon if they do not already. I purchased a horm upgrade for my CR-V there and it was an amazing upgrade. I see they have quite a variety, it would be worth calling and asking which one specifically you need for the new Civic.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/SRCH.html?Store_Code=CH&Search=horn

I was very glad I upgraded my last car. My Fiat has a huge sounding loud horn, then I get in my HR-V and laugh at the tiny horn. I know I'll be upgrading the HR-V to the next model and am only leasing or I'd have done the upgrade again. Then again for only $25 or so maybe I should do it again anyway.

So far my main dislike is that I have not found a single turbo model to drive at any dealer. I'm in the same stinking state as the factory and cannot find on anywhere! LX and EX only, I have checked other dealers around to no avail, tried another one over an hour from home yesterday and they had on EX and that was it on the whole lot. I have been to two dealers in Indianapolis thinking the biggest dealers around would have some but nope. I figured the higher trims would be slightly easier to find but I am wrong lol. I'm waiting on the Si regardless, but want to drive a turbo version to get a feel for the car and possibly have a fallback if the Si somehow manages to surprise me in a bad way.

#33 ·
Thanks for the advice on the horns, guys. Nothing yet on College Hills, but I imagine it's just a matter of time.

After reading posts about prior generations, it seems that accessing the horn hasn't been easy in some models. So far, I've been unable to determine where the horn is located, at least from the top... the engine and other components easily takes up the whole compartment. I'm taking it in to have a couple of accessories installed... I'll ask the service manager how difficult a horn swap would be and what can fit in the available space.

#37 ·
I'm staritng to really NOT LOVE my Civic Touring. The Audio has been a total nightmare. It is NOT related to APPLE CAR PLAY.
Most times when I start the car there is no audio of ANY type. NO AM, NO FM, NO XM, NO Telephone , NO Voice guidance for GPS.
I tried with my phone turned off when starting the car so I can be sure the phone is not creating the issues. There is no difference with the phone on or off. The next time I drive the car it all works again. This system is not ready for release!!!!
And now to add insult to injury, I have a rattle behind the dashboard. I wish I had my 2013 Accord back!!! UGH!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.