10th Honda Civic Forum banner

apple carplay issues ?

60K views 70 replies 37 participants last post by  fase333 
#1 ·
I am hearing people are having issues with the apple carplay. Has anyone used it on the 2016 civic ? How do you find it ? Any problems?

#2 ·
I've read in other forums and on this one that people are experiencing the audio disappearing and glitchiness with both android auto and apple carplay. Some of it appears to be software issues with the programming on the head unit. A temporary fix for the audio problem is to disconnect the battery for a bit and then reconnect to reset the unit for the audio to come back on.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples' experiences as well.

#4 ·
On my 2013 Accord EX-L headunit, I experienced numerous bugs and flakiness. Eventually an update was made available by Honda and it resolved the majority of issues. Obviously that headunit predates Apple CarPlay, but I would encourage you to report the problems to Honda America... I will try to find the thread I was watching on the driveaccord forum from back in the day that listed where/who to contact.

#8 ·
No it is a visit to the dealership.... USB stick... firmware update and my two updates in my Accord were about 30 minutes in length. You can also have it performed while there for other service / maintenance.

Any update will be many months down the road.

Anyone on this forum have direct access to the Honda Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) ??? This is how the driveaccord forum knew when such updates were available. I had the update installed for nearly 90 days before I got a letter from Honda about it in 2013.

#10 ·
I had one issue with CarPlay shortly after I received my car.

At one point, all sounds (music/nav/etc.) for CarPlay stopped coming through the speakers and would not come through the phone either. The radio worked, though I could not restore sound to CarPlay even by unplugging/replugging my device and disabling/enabling bluetooth.

The issue was resolved by restarting my phone; I haven't seen the issue since, though I assume it's still there.

#66 ·
I have intermittent problem with my radio when, I use my transponder to remotely start the car or some else with another transponder uses it near my car when I try to turn on the radio my speakers pop like a machine gun, I try accessing different mode for music, but will only work on Am. At first I thought it was Sirrus but I discontinued my subscription with them, and it still happened then it dawn on me to try the remote start and it happened again. I didn't take it to the dealer yet because as I said it is intermittent. And knowing the dealer they will tell me there's nothing the can do because they have to see the problem before they can fix it.
Can anyone explain to me why there is an access panel on the floor in f the front passenger floor panel, I was vacuuming my interior and I removed the front passenger floor mat and I seen. Try to ask Honda USA on Twitter but they told me to make an appointment with my dealership, because they have no knowledge about anything...lol
Thank you advance for your help!

#19 ·
can anyone explain the apps on carplay that use data?

music streaming would be one I guess. best to download your playlists to the iphone?
They work in the same way they do on your phone. You can always use the settings menu on your phone to edit the way your apps use data. For example, I allow Spotify to download songs over cellular network for playback offline. You may want to keep that disabled.

#15 ·
I am having similar issues with my Civic Touring model.It started on the drive home from the dealer. Has been mostly intermitten however today it would not come back on at all even when I shut my iphone down and restarted the car. I took it to the dealer. They did a "hard re-set". This resolved the problem (at least on the drive home from the dealership).
My issues were with and without ApplePlay involved.

#18 ·
It was the headunit that was reset. They had the car for about an hour. Afterward the tech said that Honda was aware of the problem but had no service bullitin for it.
They suggest the re-set as a solution. I suspect that eventually there will be some type of service bullitin for an "official" fix. I hope it's sooner rather than later.

#21 ·
Agreed, OTA updates seem very rare. I'm 110% OK with ones I can download to a stick and then put the stick in the car. I'm *not* OK playing the "know the magic phrase from the TSB" game for infotainment updates. Especially if they are going to roll the cars out of the factory this bug ridden.

#23 ·
I'm having a problem with a 2016 Touring, I think it is the same as what has been described but I have it even with no phone paired and not even a device listed in the Bluetooth Device list:

Roughly 40% of the time when I get in the car I get no sound whatsoever through the speakers. The unit boots up and looks like it is operating perfectly, but no audio from navigation, not even the click sounds. I can stop the car and open the door and try again and it will not work. Only by leaving the area (could the keyless system be involved?) will it ever reset and play. But, as I said, even that doesn't fix it about 40% of the time. The rest of the time it works perfectly. I took it to the dealer and they had it for two days and never had the problem. They created a case with Honda and I have that number but I am hoping for some hack that will allow me to enjoy the navigation sound and radio in the interim. Any ideas short of pull the connection to the battery?

#24 ·
The other c-i-v-i-c-x forum has lots of reports of this that all seem to be from Touring owners and reports of several of them getting Honda to suggest replacing the Touring-unique amplifier. One inference from this is that Honda is aware of a problem with at least some of the amplifiers. Not sure there have been any post-replacement reports yet.

#25 ·
I am still having the exact issues that pro-bassoonist is having. Have spoken with the Honda care team. They are also looking into it. Car is at dealer for the third time with still no cure in sight either from the dealer or from the Honda Team. It's been 2 weeks now that I have brought this to the dealers attention (started the same night that I picked it up for delivery). This is getting really old. Paying nearly $30,000 for a Civic Touring them having all audio inoperative and the factory not knowing how to fix it...........com'n Honda!!!

#28 ·
I spent some time in the diagnostic mode today

I found the directions to get into the diagnostic mode in another forum and spent some time today looking at the error logs and the like. There seems to be no different log entries OR indications of the green OK blocks between when the audio works and when it doesn't work. I could find no way in there to force the unit with no sound to start making sounds. I am reading that removing the fuse and putting it back in (basically the same thing to the unit as pulling the battery terminal but far less intrusive to the other circuits in the car) will reset it so tomorrow I'm going to find that fuse (anyone know off the top of their head which one it is?) and if it is inside the car I'm going to put a fuse extender in there so I can just reach down and feel for it without having to climb into the floorboard to get it reset. I'll do this until they find the fix I guess. I love the car in every other way or I'd be banging on the dealership door tomorrow at 9AM demanding to return it (not that they'd likely do that).

#26 · (Edited)
This is a greed driven and we don't give a crap attitude from Honda.

Honda is rolling out and fulfilling orders, despite the fact that they are fully aware of the entertainment systems lack of functionality.

No doubt, Honda is just pushing the units out, collecting the money, and then taking a we will fix this in time approach. The more units sold, the longer the line to get it fixed when a solution is developed.

#27 ·
Sadly, the intricacy of an auto production pipeline is so great that it's less bad to ship them with the issue while figuring it out than it is to stop the multi-supplier, worldwide, production pipeline. (Honda Indiana claims employment of over 2,300 people. And they just final assemble parts and assemblies from suppliers all over the world into some, but not all, Civics being sold in the US.) Not good for the customers, granted.

#31 ·
The 7" unit is the same basic unit that is in the '16 Accord and '16 Pilot. Does anyone know if they've run into any community chatter that either of those vehicles are experiencing similar challenges or is it somehow unique to the Civic?

I browsed through d-r-i-v-e-a-c-c-o-r-d and did not see any obvious thread about the issue with Accords.

If you are experiencing ANY anomaly with the head unit / infotainment system in your Civic please take the time to call Honda directly - at the number posted previously in this thread. This is the only way they will give this the attention it deserves.

#32 ·
I totally agree that this is stupid. BUT, if anyone was in any doubt, at least in my case pulling 18 and 19 does re-enable the sound in the car. Boot up has to happen, of course, and the backup markers and things like that are gone for a few minutes while that happens but it does work. I did try just pulling the audio fuse by itself and that does not fix it. The backup fuse seems to have to be pulled at the same time.

#33 ·
For those that are having trouble, please specifiy the model of Civic you have too, there has been some speculation that the issue is primarily present in the Touring model. Some dealers have been swapping out the 450 watt amp to try and fix it, hence the issue being possibly unique to the Touring.

Just might help us get a handle on what's going on, or crush the possibility if lots of EX and EX-T owners have the issue also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.