10th Honda Civic Forum banner

Infotainment issues on the Touring

51K views 85 replies 39 participants last post by  Smith 
#1 · (Edited)
I have just joined this site to read up on the Touring trim issues with the Infotainment system. This is probably the hottest disappointment and frustration topic with the 2016 Honda Civic Touring trim. Looking through the threads here there doesn't seem to be anybody venting.

I am expecting delivery of my Touring anyday now and boy am I concerned. I have read of people having issues even as they are taking delivery of their car. Many many problems with little help from Honda. Can't begin to describe them all that are showing up on other forums.

Fellow Touring owners, what are you experiencing? Good and bad.

#2 ·
I've had a Touring since Sunday. I have also been following the infotainment issues on the various forums closely with interest and worry. So far, I have not had any audio problems in my car. I have used the regular FM radio along with Android Auto (music and navigation). I did notice once that Android Auto wouldn't start. I had to unplug and replug my USB cable and it worked. But I noticed that my USB port is somewhat loose and has a lot of play in it. I will have to keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse.

#8 ·
Most definately, Apple carplay really doesn't get mentioned too often. Lots of issues. Often people are loosing all sound no matter the source. Screen going off colour etc. thats why I'm looking for information prior to accepting delivery. You can bet I will be giving it a good test. Using the remote start also seems to to effect some peoples unit.

#9 ·
I'll second all of the issues on my Touring. Had the car for over 2 weeks now with 3 seperate trips to the dealer. Still no resolution. The problem is not Apple or Android based. The fault occurs even when the phone is off. I still have absolutely no audio of any type. I have been told a number of times that Honda is working on it with will contact me shortly once they have the fix nailed down. Major disappointment with Honda!!!!!!

#12 · (Edited)
I think I have found a temporary fix until Honda can find an easy permanent fix.
It's worked for me for 24 hours which is not a long testing period but is the longest stable time I've had. So I'll share it,even though it might be premature.
I have altered some settings under the heading of

"Vehicle Settings">"Door/Window Setup"
I believe there's a conflict between some of these features being on and the volume control. So, I turned them to off (the ones that could be turned to "off") ( not the auto door lock feature) Like I said, I have been stable for nearly 24 hours. I am not sure which feature is causing the conflict yet and I'm apprehensive about changing any setting since it's working so nicely. I do miss the
" Walk away auto lock" feature. (Which may be the culprit)
Please chime in if you can go farther with this lead. Like I said, it hasn't stood the test of time and I am NOT a techie...on the contrary. Also, this lead may give Honda a starting point for what may be an easy permanent fix.

No guarantees on this, but this is what I have discovered.

Attachments

#14 ·
I was speaking with the GM at my dealer this afternoon. My *** Touring arrives tomorrow. I expressed my infotainment worry. He acknowledged that two of their Touring vehicles have had infortainment breakdowns.

This may be the reason my Touring is a couple of weeks late. Wouldn't mind the delay if it means a working system.

#15 ·
After 2 weeks with my Touring, I finally had my first infotainment glitch. I was listening to some tracks on my Ipod. Mid track, the music stopped for a second and came back on. After it came back on, the music was extremely distorted. I checked other sources (Sirius XM, FM) and they were similarly distorted. I tried powering the system down and back up and the distortion went away. Admittedly milder symptoms than others and an easier fix, but it could happen again and/or get worse. My 3rd Honda in a row with audio issues...

#21 · (Edited)
.[/quote]

What led you to suspect the door lock controls are affecting the volume?[/QUOTE]

Firstblud:

I may be completely wrong but so far 3 days all is ok...

Well, it seemed that every time I entered the car and started it to find that the volume was off, I would go some place and exit the car, allowing the "walk away and lock" feature to lock the car. When I returned to the car after perhaps only 5 minutes, powering up and, low and behold, there was volume. So I began thinking perhaps it was some conflicts between the "doors locking and unlocking" features and the infotainment system. So, I turned the "locking/unlocking" features off, knowing it was reversible . But,so far, I have not had the volume problem with those features turned off.
( knock on wood)

I am not sure it will last and if it does last I'm not sure which feature is causing the conflict, if not all of them. Im a little afraid to returning individual settings back to "on" at this time since all is good....except I do miss the "walk away and lock" feature.

Can you tell me what you are thinking? Like I said I could be totally off base. But, I thought I should post this to the community.

#31 ·
Firstblud:

I may be completely wrong but so far 3 days all is ok...

Well, it seemed that every time I entered the car and started it to find that the volume was off, I would go some place and exit the car, allowing the "walk away and lock" feature to lock the car. When I returned to the car after perhaps only 5 minutes, powering up and, low and behold, there was volume. So I began thinking perhaps it was some conflicts between the "doors locking and unlocking" features and the infotainment system. So, I turned the "locking/unlocking" features off, knowing it was reversible . But,so far, I have not had the volume problem with those features turned off.
( knock on wood)

I am not sure it will last and if it does last I'm not sure which feature is causing the conflict, if not all of them. Im a little afraid to returning individual settings back to "on" at this time since all is good....except I do miss the "walk away and lock" feature.

Can you tell me what you are thinking? Like I said I could be totally off base. But, I thought I should post this to the community.
It makes sense. Maybe there's a universal control of the volume all the infotainment modules are sharing and, in the case of the door lock thing, it's forgetting to reset the volume to the previous state that was set by your radio/music.

#22 ·
Discussed this yesterday with an aqaintaince who is a tech staff person for Honda Canada. They are working overtime on infotainment issues. All fingers are pointed directly at Mitsubishi who supply the unit. Quality control at Mitsubishi may have been a bit lacking.

#27 ·
People who have reported work done to solve the "audio not audible on Touring" issue are reporting amplifier replacements so far. Not sure I've read a report of an HU replacement yet. Clearly the HU has issues as well, but they all reek of software problems not hardware. Wonder if Mitsubishi did the software as well? Wonder if Mitsubishi integrated the system? Regardless, when you are the prime, your suppliers don't fail on their own.

#29 ·
Honda has not given me any updates on the fix. They are either ignoring this problem or have very bad customer relations policy.
Do you have a case number with them? How are you expecting to hear about a fix? People who have had something done about this seem to have pestered them until they agreed to replace the Touring-unique amplifier. I don't recall reading that anybody has had a recurrence of this particular issue after the amplifier replacement.

Honda In-Car Technology Support desk: (888) 528-7876
Honda Customer Service: (800) 999-1009

In my experience, not acknowledging or announcing known defects is an all too typical customer relations policy. Not saying it's a good one, but very typical.

#30 ·
I had the EXACT problems that Petereburns has. My amplifier was replaced with what I was told was a prototype fix new amplifier from Honda. I did solve ALL issues.............at least up until now. I did go WAY up the command chain at Honda and PUSHED HARD!!!!!

Good luck!!!

#32 ·
What steps did you take to escalate the problem?

Also, does anyone know if this issue is something that any dealership's service center can resolve or would I have to go back to the original dealer. I bought my civic from a dealer 40 miles away and am hoping I can just go to the one 1 mile from me.

#34 · (Edited)
As an update, since my post about 7 days ago, I have successfully turned back ON the "walk away and lock" feature and the "drive and lock" feature. The volume has been perfect and stable!
A feature that is still OFF is the " open all four doors" feature. When I touch the door handle only the driver's door unlocks. It is not a big problem but I'd like to turn it to the four door open option. But the volume issue is solved in my case, for now. I'm very happy and I love driving my new Touring!
Hopefully, my remedy will help others.

#35 ·
I've had my 'all doors open' on since I picked the car up. Everything is working as designed except the navigation system can't find satellites. Being told this is an antenna problem.

#38 ·
Had my touring edition for one month now. Sound failure is a very, very annoying glitch. I have written Honda and they have not replied. Without sound you effectively lose your radio, nave system, Bluetooth telephone, and in vehicle audio warnings. Almost all the stuff you pay extra for in a touring package. I would wait until you see how Honda is going to help those already affected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.