Remote Start Range? & Cold in the center console - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Remote Start Range? & Cold in the center console

Today is the first time I've tried to use the remote start on my new Touring. And I literally had to be standing at the back bumper before it would respond and start the car. I've had an after market remote start before, and I could easily start the car from inside my kitchen I did not have to step outside. My kitchen window is about 20 feet from where the car is parked, and it would not start it until I got to the back bumper. When using remote start from the front of the car, I can be about 75 feet away and it will respond and start the car.

Today is also the first cold day since I got it 2 weeks ago, and while driving today I noticed it was very cold in the center console and I could feel a little breeze in there. The rest of the car was warm.
Anyone else experience either of these issues?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 Rallye Red Honda Civic Touring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Western Massachusetts USA

Last edited by RedCivicTouringMA; 12-29-2015 at 01:13 PM.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 01:49 PM

Can you try your other key FOB just to rule out a bad one?

I did mine from the back once, maybe 15 feet away as a test, and it started no problem. The real test will be when I'm at work if I can do it without stepping outside. Probably next week
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter44102 View Post
Can you try your other key FOB just to rule out a bad one?

I did mine from the back once, maybe 15 feet away as a test, and it started no problem. The real test will be when I'm at work if I can do it without stepping outside. Probably next week
I tried out both from inside the house, aiming at the back of the car, neither one would start the car. Later when I went out to move my car, I started it from almost 75 feet away from the front.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 07:31 PM

It might just be interference - something in the way or the direction that you are "pointing" the fob if at all. The remote start sensor(s) may be more effective from the front, though I'm not sure exactly where they're located....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICanLiftACivicUp View Post
It might just be interference - something in the way or the direction that you are "pointing" the fob if at all. The remote start sensor(s) may be more effective from the front, though I'm not sure exactly where they're located....
There was snow on the car too. But other aftermarket systems I've had would start despite the snow. I guess I'll keep messing with it and find where the sweet spot is

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 12:35 AM

Garage
Just got my ex-t today, salesman told me this key fob can go up to 100fts. and aftermarket is known for 2000fts. (if you can lock the door, you should be able to start engine)
It worked for me when I tested it from the 3rd floor (car was two lanes away, straight in front of my balcony)

Did you press "lock" before "engine start"? and hold it long enough?
Unlike my older remote, I feel this one need a longer press.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMG105 View Post
Just got my ex-t today, salesman told me this key fob can go up to 100fts. and aftermarket is known for 2000fts. (if you can lock the door, you should be able to start engine)
It worked for me when I tested it from the 3rd floor (car was two lanes away, straight in front of my balcony)

Did you press "lock" before "engine start"? and hold it long enough?
Unlike my older remote, I feel this one need a longer press.
.Apparently I need to press the lock button first, then press the start button. Even if the car is already locked, I need to press the lock button first. Very strange

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCivicTouringMA View Post
Very strange
This may be another mitigation to prevent the "accidental start" safety hazard that's been topic of another thread.
RedCivicTouringMA likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick w View Post
This may be another mitigation to prevent the "accidental start" safety hazard that's been topic of another thread.
I got a leather zip case to keep my smart key in just to make sure this kind of thing never happens

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 11:35 AM

I'm curious about this breeze you mentioned though...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page