Remote Start II - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Remote Start II

Not sure if everyone knows this but you can buy a factory remote start from the dealer to replace the basic key phob you get with the new car. Here in Canada (not sure about the US) you get the standard phob.

On the honda.ca when you build an EX-T it shows the phob as an accessory for $95.09.

Notice how this phob is 2-way according to the pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phob1.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	2537   Click image for larger version

Name:	phob2.PNG
Views:	4873
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	2545   Click image for larger version

Name:	phob3.PNG
Views:	580
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	2553  
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 06:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmDmAn View Post
Not sure if everyone knows this but you can buy a factory remote start from the dealer to replace the basic key phob you get with the new car. Here in Canada (not sure about the US) you get the standard phob.

On the honda.ca when you build an EX-T it shows the phob as an accessory for $95.09.

Why would you want to?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 Rallye Red Honda Civic Touring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Western Massachusetts USA

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCivicTouringMA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmDmAn View Post

Why would you want to?
I believe the original remote is one way with this one being two way it signals back to the remote if car started. See my pic showing the various images that come up on the remote as it is starting...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 08:31 AM

Didn't see this thread before posting in the other one but I found the manual for the remote: https://owners.honda.com/Linked-Conte...inestarter.pdf
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 12:06 PM

Great post. for $95 the value this provides can't be beat, it's basically an investment the way I see it, being able to look at idle time and in car temperature along with the engine running indicator. Beats getting to a car not in an ideal running state

My only beef is we have a small single line display, having to cycle through different indicators.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 03:45 PM

The wife's Pilot has remote start, and it's good on those cold days, but I'm sure it won't be on my next Civic, which will have a 6MT.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 05:27 PM

Garage
I'll email my dealership and ask them about this. Not sure why Honda would offer this on models that already came with Honda remote start built in.
And I'm sure if this is a viable option for Civics that came with remote start, there must be some pairing of some sort for the other remote. I'll find out and check back in, I emailed my service manager.

Last edited by RedCivicTouringMA; 01-20-2016 at 05:33 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 07:43 PM

In the US, I thought this was an add on option costing a few hundred dollars. I also put in after market starters in my past Civics and was thrilled my 2016 EX came with one. But after 2 months and living in New England, I am not impressed!! No digital display on EX, the 10 min cycle 2x (max) does not do much when its below zero, and the range isn't great. My old starters had 20 minute timers that you could set a few times over. This makes a huge difference when you have a layer of ice and snow and the wind chill is -10. I hope an update is in the future to extend it, but I have already started to look at after market starters.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 08:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeerrii View Post
In the US, I thought this was an add on option costing a few hundred dollars. I also put in after market starters in my past Civics and was thrilled my 2016 EX came with one. But after 2 months and living in New England, I am not impressed!! No digital display on EX, the 10 min cycle 2x (max) does not do much when its below zero, and the range isn't great. My old starters had 20 minute timers that you could set a few times over. This makes a huge difference when you have a layer of ice and snow and the wind chill is -10. I hope an update is in the future to extend it, but I have already started to look at after market starters.
Glad I am not the only one, And sometimes when I go to extend the run time, it shuts the car off instead of extending it. Which I dont know its done that til I go out to a cold car. This morning it had run 10 min and shut off, so I went to start it remotely again and it would not do it, even standing next to the darn car. The remote start on my Crosstour (was an aftermarket and the first I'd ever had) had excellent range, did not make me lock the doors before it started the car, and it ran for 20 minutes, allowed me to program it to start the car the same time every day for the 20 minute run time, it was really good. I'm not diggin this one that came with my Touring, though I will say its better than not having one. Clearly not designed by someone who lives in a climate with cold winters.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 08:32 AM

The Remote Start II has the option to extend the idling time to 20 minutes but the problem is, once that time has passed and it turns off the car you're going to have to wait 20 minutes before remote starting again...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page