Sensing and Snow - 10th Gen Civic Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Sensing and Snow

Today was my first time out in snow with my new Civic, and while on the highway "brake system" icon lit up on the dash, as well as a little icon that looks like a car with front end damage. I pulled off so I could read the little i message and it was just letting me know the radar was blocked and some sensing features were now disabled. Posting this just in case people don't know about it.
I am happy to say she got me home safely in some very heavy snowfall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 Rallye Red Honda Civic Touring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Western Massachusetts USA

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 02:52 PM

Warning message

My new civic did the same thing today. If you look under vehicle messages in Hondalink it will show the warning messages. I'm not sure how to delete these, but the car warning went away when I cleaned the windshield.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 03:58 PM

It is a somewhat common thing to have the sensors stop working if they are covered in dirt or snow. Just be careful that you aren't relying on the system or something in that case, not that you should be anyway.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 10:28 PM

How did the Civic handle in the snow? Have not had too much of an opportunity to drive in the snow in Kansas City this year.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasTouring View Post
How did the Civic handle in the snow? Have not had too much of an opportunity to drive in the snow in Kansas City this year.
Mine handled great, but I do not have the OEM tires anymore, they were junk in the snow.
Today the lens on the bumper was NOT covered with anything, and occasionally the orange "BRAKE" light warning came up and beeped. Not at all sure why. But glad it did not apply the brakes on me. Its a learning curve about the car and it's features I guess.

2016 Rallye Red Honda Civic Touring

Western Massachusetts USA

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCivicTouringMA View Post
Today the lens on the bumper was NOT covered with anything, and occasionally the orange "BRAKE" light warning came up and beeped. Not at all sure why.
It also needs the windshield in front of the monocular camera to be clean.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 01:16 PM

Had about 2 inches of snow. The civic did just fine except for the blocked sensor.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 02:11 PM

The issue of snow covering various sensors seems like something that manufacturers should try to remedy. It would suck to not have the technology work just when you need it most, in the snow. And it seems like it really should n't be that hard to fix. Just put defrost on the cameras or something like that.
RedCivicTouringMA likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil View Post
It would suck to not have the technology work just when you need it most, in the snow.
If they did that, they'd also have to build in detection of braking effectiveness and compensation for it. The normal CMBS reaction timings would probably be way too little, way too late, on a slippery surface.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCivicTouringMA View Post
Mine handled great, but I do not have the OEM tires anymore, they were junk in the snow.
Today the lens on the bumper was NOT covered with anything, and occasionally the orange "BRAKE" light warning came up and beeped. Not at all sure why. But glad it did not apply the brakes on me. Its a learning curve about the car and it's features I guess.
Over time I became aware of a specific driving scenario that would always trigger a false positive to the Forward Collision Warning in my 2013 Accord.... anytime I was cresting a rise in the road (even very slight) and there was sunshine directly on the windshield.... it would trip the FCW.

I have had a couple of false positive to FCW in the Civic but haven't yet noticed if there is a pattern to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 10th Gen Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page