10th Honda Civic Forum banner

2016+ Turbo owners, notice smoke in your rear view mirror during WOT? Coolant levels?

• Yes smoke, coolant level normal (in overflow/reserve tank)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No smoke, coolant low

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 2017 hatchback EX with CVT, currently has about 2500 miles. Wondering if any 2016 or 2017 1.5 turbo owners notice a whitish smoke in their rear view mirror upon heavy/brisk acceleration? I drive my car relatively easy and made sure especially during break in period to hit at least 1000miles before driving it hard. Once in a while I like to stomp on the gas or if I need to merge on the freeway ramp, etc. It does not happen all the time (maybe 30% of the time when I tried to replicate), but I think I notice it more if its 5k+ rpm. This is my first turbo car, dont know if this is normal?

I also noticed my coolant level was at the minimum in the reservoir/overflow tank. Will keep a close eye....I'm hoping its nothing major.
Anyone else have low coolant levels, and or notice smoke?

·
Registered
12 Posts
mine does it too. Only if I floor it getting on the highway. usually cold out last few times so that when I notice it. I don't think there is a problem but im not a mechanic

·
Registered
61 Posts
If your coolant level is not dropping, then I suspect you are seeing water vapor, much like you see your own breath on a cold day. If your coolant level is dropping, then it's getting into the combustion chamber somehow.

You can also check your oil level and for oily soot inside the exhaust pipe. It should be chalky, not oily. Usually oil smoke is bluish, but hey - why not check.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I added coolant back to the max mark in the reserve/overflow tank and took a trip to San Diego and back to LA and I think that's about 250 miles. I checked coolant again and it was between min and max...so it seemed to have dropped a bit. temperatures here are low 40 to 50 lately. high 60's and 70s. don't know if outside temp affect it or not.

I plan to keep driving the car until first oil change, guessing around 7k-10k miles when maintenance minder comes on. ill drain the oil and check to see if its milky white in appearance. in meantime ill keep checking the dipstick if oil appears normal.

I don't see visible leaks under the hood, I followed whatever visible lines from overflow tank to radiator to engine
. and no puddle on floor where I park.

I don't know if I'm imagining, but exhaust fumes MIGHT have a very very slight sweet scent, maybe I'm just paranoid...

I picked up the car with 9 miles on odometer off the lot and I was careful to break it in easy first 1500 miles. i love this car, last thing i want to find out is engine problem but there's always warranty.... I hope these engines have no defect.....

if it matters, engine origin is Thailand for hatchbacks. USA for sedans for the 1.5turbo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to update. Im at roughly 2800 miles now, and I've tried numerous times to replicate the smoke, but no more. Also, coolant levels have not changed! im baffled..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts