10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1.5 Turbo vs. 2.4 VTEC

So...I currently have a '15 Si and am considering a '17 Si. I'm not gaining any HP, and I've read that the 1.5 Turbo doesn't quite measure up to the '15s VTEC engine...and certainly doesn't sound as good. We also have a '16 EX-L Turbo...it is a bit 'laggy'...but quick, once the turbo wakes up.

Any thoughts pro or con?

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I have the 2.0 and have driven all versions of the 1.5 and they are different beasts. The 1.5 CVT, after you get past the turbo & cvt lag, can't be beat for smooth acceleration. The 1.5, 6 speed although having more torque than the 2.0 does not deliver the enjoyment that the VTEC does. The 1.5 gets to the red-line quicker between shifts but doesn't pull as hard as the 2.0 when the VTEC kicks in, so in short the 2.0 from 4500 rpm's to red-line is where all the fun is and with a tune I think the 2.0 may be more of what your use to in your 15 Si. But of coarse theirs more to the Si than just the engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the 2.0 and have driven all versions of the 1.5 and they are different beasts. The 1.5 CVT, after you get past the turbo & cvt lag, can't be beat for smooth acceleration. The 1.5, 6 speed although having more torque than the 2.0 does not deliver the enjoyment that the VTEC does. The 1.5 gets to the red-line quicker between shifts but doesn't pull as hard as the 2.0 when the VTEC kicks in, so in short the 2.0 from 4500 rpm's to red-line is where all the fun is and with a tune I think the 2.0 may be more of what your use to in your 15 Si. But of coarse theirs more to the Si than just the engine.

Thanks for the reply... I'm going to test drive a 1.5 tomorrow. I have a fairly good deal already worked out, but the dealer would have to bring the car in from a different dealership... I'd hate to have them do this without my first having driving one...because I may change my mind and keep the 2.0 '15 VTEC...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
by the way if you have a 2015 SI you have a 2.4L..........
Oops! Yep - you're correct, of course...

Ok, so I drove the 1.5 coupe...and...I've gotta say...I'm impressed. The CVT/Turbo lag that I experience with the '16 EX-L is all but gone. Sure, the turbo is better in the mid-range than off the line, but once it's there, there isn't a huge difference (to me) than what I experience in the '15 Si (after around 3500 rpm or so)...and it has a better sound than the EX-L...not quite as good as the Si, but liveable.

The handling - especially in 'sport' mode was pretty good. I'm nowhere near the racer/tune-heads a lot of owners are...i'm a 55 yr old guy who still wants some get-up-and-go, but can't afford the Dodge Demon, and wants reasonable mileage & reliability.

I may just bite the bullet & trade. Does the Hondata flash harm the engine in the long or short term? I may consider doing that, as I could flash both this and the '16...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Coming from an 8th gen that was flashed and had intake/exhaust I couldnt agree more with you about your comment in regards to the 1.5 compared to the 2.0/2.4.

Oops! Yep - you're correct, of course...

Ok, so I drove the 1.5 coupe...and...I've gotta say...I'm impressed. The CVT/Turbo lag that I experience with the '16 EX-L is all but gone. Sure, the turbo is better in the mid-range than off the line, but once it's there, there isn't a huge difference (to me) than what I experience in the '15 Si (after around 3500 rpm or so)...and it has a better sound than the EX-L...not quite as good as the Si, but liveable.

The handling - especially in 'sport' mode was pretty good. I'm nowhere near the racer/tune-heads a lot of owners are...i'm a 55 yr old guy who still wants some get-up-and-go, but can't afford the Dodge Demon, and wants reasonable mileage & reliability.

I may just bite the bullet & trade. Does the Hondata flash harm the engine in the long or short term? I may consider doing that, as I could flash both this and the '16...
Glad you enjoyed the drive! As Cabeldude said theres more to the Si than just the engine. I love the way this car handles I've been progressively pushing it more and more on corners and the thing just sticks to the road like its on rails and thats not even when I have it in sport. The efficiency is amazing I've been getting 29-32 city depending how much I get on it and have gotten up to 38 hwy. The ride itself feels much more stable and mature to be a civic which indicates they really have made improvements to reach a different customer base. I will admit initially i was disappointed I didnt have VTEC which I was used to but I quickly learned to love this car and dont regret it whatsoever. Good luck on your shopping!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coming from an 8th gen that was flashed and had intake/exhaust I couldnt agree more with you about your comment in regards to the 1.5 compared to the 2.0/2.4.

Glad you enjoyed the drive! As Cabeldude said theres more to the Si than just the engine. I love the way this car handles I've been progressively pushing it more and more on corners and the thing just sticks to the road like its on rails and thats not even when I have it in sport. The efficiency is amazing I've been getting 29-32 city depending how much I get on it and have gotten up to 38 hwy. The ride itself feels much more stable and mature to be a civic which indicates they really have made improvements to reach a different customer base. I will admit initially i was disappointed I didnt have VTEC which I was used to but I quickly learned to love this car and dont regret it whatsoever. Good luck on your shopping!
I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger. I had my doubts...and really thought I'd be disappointed...but I was very pleasantly surprised. I already have a deal where i'm getting almost what I paid for the '15 new...and the extended warranty will be 'a wash' because I have it on the '15 and they'll credit me 100% on it.

The '17 did handle really well, not that the '15 doesn't, but....it just seemed really solid. I usually like 'tried-and-true', like the VTEC, but knowing Honda, they've probably beat this 1.5 turbo every which way for several years prior to putting it into production vehicles.

The one thing that absolutely drives me up a tree with the '15 (and may well still - I haven't checked the '17) is the fact that you can't possibly change the oil filter without getting oil all over your hand, since it's mounted vertically instead of an angle or horizontally...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure if anyone mentioned this... flashpro will only "flash" one vehicle, as it is VIN locked to your car once installed. Sorry if that's a repeat. - had one for my R18

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure if anyone mentioned this... flashpro will only "flash" one vehicle, as it is VIN locked to your car once installed. Sorry if that's a repeat. - had one for my R18
No - no one has, but I did see that elsewhere. Sort of expensive (to me) for the possibility of voiding the warranty, etc... It's probably zippy enough for me in stock configuration. I won't be taking it to the track or doing any midnight drag racing anyway.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
dont get me wrong again ...but so called VTEC in the 2015 SI is almost like if you had only an intake with a R18..........cant feel it........but boost thats a thing you can feel ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
17' si's are great... you would be going from 174whp to 201whp... definitely can feel the difference. Yea no vtec but Hondata has the flashpro out too that has a +6 and +9 psi tune... +6 gives 27hp, my 9th SI was cool but definitely don't regret trading up to this new SI.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A lot of people hate on the new civics styling but so far it has grown on me. I was hesitant on getting the Si because of the 1.5 but I don't regret it. Once I get a ktuner it should be even better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
No - no one has, but I did see that elsewhere. Sort of expensive (to me) for the possibility of voiding the warranty, etc... It's probably zippy enough for me in stock configuration. I won't be taking it to the track or doing any midnight drag racing anyway.
Thinking of Hondata Flash too...let me know if you decide to do it. I too will not be living the fast and furious life in an Si but excited with the flash increase in HP and Torque.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unless hondata changed its settings in previous gens, you can always reflash back to factory settings before bri gi g the vehicle in for repairs or service. It's completely untraceable. Im picking up my 19 black si Monday and was discussing flash pro with my salesman... Lol

Hope that helps with your decision

1 - 14 of 14 Posts