10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped off my one week old EX-L sedan yesterday morning for window tinting. 20%; looked great. That afternoon my wife is stopped at a stop light and a Nissan Pathfinder slams into the back. The Pathfinder hit above the actual metal bumper (inside the plastic housing) and struck the trunk area. (Other driver had insurance). The track latch and all the metal around it is smashed in and the trunk doesn't close anymore. I know insurance will cover it, but my experience from auto repair is that the car is never quite the same. Very bummed.

·
Registered
382 Posts
you dont' mention it, but hope the wife is ok! cars aren't usually the same if it's suspension or frame damage...but, if it's a trunk, bumper and cover...they should be able to get it pretty **** close to perfect, depending on the shop

·
Registered
922 Posts
Terribly sorry to hear about that man, hope the wife is alright as well. The cars definitely not the same, but as long as theres no frame damage it should be alright for the most part. I think it's actually a better thing that it didn't smash into the re-bar (metal bar underneath the plastic cover). If that would have bent, it would have been some serious issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It should be fine. If there is frame damage, it could be totalled and you get a new car. Bent frames are usually considered totalled here because it is very difficult to get it straight and if it were straightened, it would be weak. That would actually be good news. But, sounds like that may not be he case. Get a GOOD shop so they get the trunk close to perfect in alignment and know how to paint. Many shops will guarantee their work too. Look around

·
Registered
876 Posts
I hate when that happens since with most cars I buy, I buy them for the long term and because of that ensure nothing like this happens (although you can't prevent it 100%). Are you still planning to hold onto it for as long as your originally intended or could this influence the length of your ownership. I know it would with me... it's just not the same anymore.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Don't forget to ask(demand) for diminished value from insurance company. You cars selling price from the day before the accident to the day after has decreased significantly, thanks carfax!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bummer man. Happened to me once although it was a used car but still, it was new to us. I was stopped at a red light and I remember I was explaining to the Mrs all the features I got for the price and I never seen it coming from behind. WHAM..I am a peaceful type of fellow but I wanted to pound the dope of a kid that hit me.
Anyway, if you get a good paint shop and theres no other undercarriage problem theres no reason why your car cant be fixed and look and drive as though it never happened.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Bummer man. Happened to me once although it was a used car but still, it was new to us. I was stopped at a red light and I remember I was explaining to the Mrs all the features I got for the price and I never seen it coming from behind. WHAM..I am a peaceful type of fellow but I wanted to pound the dope of a kid that hit me.
Anyway, if you get a good paint shop and theres no other undercarriage problem theres no reason why your car cant be fixed and look and drive as though it never happened.
Similar thing happened to me, was at a red light, waiting for it to turn green. Was looking down at my phone and then got hit. The worst is not seeing it coming.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Maybe your dealership will be able to repair all of the damages? I'd imagine they were trained to work on the Civic and have the best skill set to make it as good as new.

·
Registered
922 Posts
It's not working on a civic that matters. They have to be experienced in the trade and know how to work and use their tools properly and have a good eye.

I know a lot more smaller body shops that out-do dealership work. That being said, you can't generalize dealerships quality when it comes to these things because it's the individual working on it and how advanced his skill set it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Dang glad the wife is ok. Sounds like you got hit pretty hard. If that is the case you may be lucky he missed the bumper rail. When my Accord got rear ended by a truck he just clipped the top of bumper rail and hit all trunk. He was going 60. The body shop said I would have been hurt much worse than some back pain if he had hit the rail because then the full shock and dissipation of the energy would have gone through the frame and into the seat and done more damage. They ended up totaling it and it wasnt barely a year old

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
how the heck did that back window not break?
No idea, but he hit me so hard the front end exploded out like a popcorn bag

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
No idea, but he hit me so hard the front end exploded out like a popcorn bag
Still not that bad on his end, just seems like body damage, nothing I can imagine that impacted the rebar or bent the frame although it's always good to check. But of course paying a shop to fix it will cost an arm an a leg! Easy $5k job right their.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
****, if his civic looks anything like your Accord then the insurance company may just write it off as total loss. Restoring something like that to new just won't be worth it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Holy moly that's darn intense. It looks like that pickup just took a huge bite out of your darn Accord :|

That's crazy. So hard the shock sent to the front end ruptured some components indeed. That's a bad one right there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts