10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing concrete but in the AutoNews article about Swindon they mention that European CR-V production will leave Swindon at the end of 2016, which I'm logically assuming is when Swindon takes up global hatch production.

This will double sales of Civics made in the plant, Honda predicts, but at the end of 2016 production of the CR-V for Europe will be transferred to Canada. The new Jazz, which launches in the summer, will be built in Japan instead of Swindon.
Although Swindon could produce Euro 5 doors to its content until late 2016. the 10th is supposed to be on sale by year end, I don't know if Honda would leave Europe to sell their domestic Civic while the Global model is ready to go...

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20150520/BLOG15/150529997/honda-works-smart-to-fill-uk-plant

·
Registered
991 Posts
It seems to make sense that Civic hatch would begin when CR-V production ends. Is there really any other possibility even?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I thought the release was near the end of 2015? From what I gathered in a few articles posted on roadandtrack.com, Honda themselves were the ones who provided the time estimate.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I thought the release was near the end of 2015? From what I gathered in a few articles posted on roadandtrack.com, Honda themselves were the ones who provided the time estimate.
That depends if it was about the hatch or the sedan/coupe, chances are it's the sedan and coupe to be released near the end of 2015 and the hatchback available a year after.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we prob wont see the hatch for another year. The Euro civic is fairly early in its life cycle. The wagon just came out...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Now I wonder if Honda is planning on selling the Hatch, if the also plan on selling the Coupe worldwide. Traditionally the Coupe has been North American only.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Now I wonder if Honda is planning on selling the Hatch, if the also plan on selling the Coupe worldwide. Traditionally the Coupe has been North American only.
As far as i know there are no plans to sell the coupe worldwide... the sedan will probably go into other world markets like japan etc, but the coupe has almost always been exclusive to america mostly because i think the USA is the only place that has a market demand for small sporty FWD coupes that aren't luxury coupes like Audi etc make.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
As far as i know there are no plans to sell the coupe worldwide... the sedan will probably go into other world markets like japan etc, but the coupe has almost always been exclusive to america mostly because i think the USA is the only place that has a market demand for small sporty FWD coupes that aren't luxury coupes like Audi etc make.
This is the first time I've heard of this. It's not possible to find a Honda coupe outside of America? Were they never sold elsewhere?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nope and even the Civics that they sell in the US and CAN are different then everywhere else. The JDM Sedan was similar to the Acura CSX, Coupe only sold here, no hatch at all, etc. The North American market is much different then everywhere else.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Civic Coupe was sold in Japan until 7th gen.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The point of the Civic X is to unite the different regional cars into one model... I don't see why Honda shouldn't sell the Civic coupe in Europe and Japan and wherever sportsfans are interested in putting down hard earned cake!

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'm sure it just comes down to sales potential. I assume that the Japanese and Europeans still drive coupes. So as long as there is sales potential they should totally sell it there.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I'm sure they still drive coupes too but I would concentrate on the countries with the most units sold previously and then try selling them in other countries but I don't think Japan will miss the coupe when they have a pretty nice Type R.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I think alot of it has to do with how americans think. America has a certain love affair with cars, hence we buy cars that aren't necessarily practical for everyday use. In many other parts of the world cars are quite a bit more expensive to own and operate (toll road areas, emissions testing, taxes, insurance, etc). Hence in places like Europe and Japan its all about getting a car that gets you the most bang for you buck, which usually heavily includes everyday versatility, which is why hatches sell so well in other parts of the world but less so here. Places like Europe and Asia are much more likely to buy a hatch version of a car because it offers the right mix of MPG, low CO2 output, low taxes, and max usable space and versatility. Here in america we buy based on style and looks which is why we like swoopy sedans and low profile coupes that other countries just don't go for as readily unless theyre dedicated sports cars. Economy cars that aren't all that versatile like the civic coupe, just don't sell well to the everyday person in these areas, hence why the coupe has almost always been exclusive to America.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very true. It even differs alot form the US to Canada. Top selling vehicle in the US and Canada is the F150. But the Civic has been the top selling car for almost 20 years. We have even had a few small cars here not for sale in the US. The Toyota Echo and the Acura EL/CSX. Civic Coupes are everywhere here.

Fuel isnt cheap in EUR, so these small cars do much better. Imagine driving an F150 around and paying $8-10 for a gallon of gas.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts