10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry if this has already been posted. I did put it as a reply in another thread where someone was asking about crash tests of this car.

No test results yet on the full-frontal crash from NHTSA on this car, but IIHS has released the results of the '16 Civic. As expected it earned a "top safety pick +" rating, earning a good rating in all tests, plus superior crash avoidance ratings when equipped with the sensing system. It did receive only an acceptable rating for head/neck injuries in the harsh small overlap crash as well as the lower leg/foot, but it was not enough to tarnish the overall rating of GOOD. The passenger cage/structure held up excellently! They tested a black Civic LX sedan.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/honda/civic-4-door-sedan

·
Registered
41 Posts
I see the steel wheel cushioned the impact. I wonder if the "mag" wheels in the higher trim lines would have helped as much?

And what's with the grey front tires?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They paint the front tires on all cars tested... something do to with it marking where the harshest impact was inside the wheel wells, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In the third picture, the fuel door was knocked opened. That would be something to worry about if there was a fire. Honda, why couldn't you place a locking mechanism on the fuel door? I will now have to Velcro my fuel door shut.

·
Registered
331 Posts
In the third picture, the fuel door was knocked opened. That would be something to worry about if there was a fire. Honda, why couldn't you place a locking mechanism on the fuel door? I will now have to Velcro my fuel door shut.
The fuel filler door is not part of the containment system. Purely cosmetic.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
One thing that has me a bit concerned is how the door is crumpled like that, almost to the point it seems opening the door would be an issue, biting into valuable rescue time. Possibly making it hard for the driver to get out.

·
Registered
991 Posts
One thing that has me a bit concerned is how the door is crumpled like that, almost to the point it seems opening the door would be an issue, biting into valuable rescue time. Possibly making it hard for the driver to get out.
You should be able to get out the opposite door. It could be an issue, but we never saw how the door was able to be opened or not, so let's not jump to conclusions.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You should be able to get out the opposite door. It could be an issue, but we never saw how the door was able to be opened or not, so let's not jump to conclusions.
Also if you look at the last picture which is stop motion shot of impact, the door isn't in bad shape. The top image is an after image and they probably cut the door off in order to review the interior damages.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Oh yeah, that fuel door is no cause for concern. A lot of those fly open and as mentioned that does not contain the fuel.

As far as the driver door being "crumpled", this door looks like new compared to many cars tested. Keep in mind that this is an extremely harsh test that puts all of the stress/force on the a-pillar. As long as the passenger cage stays intact and injury ratings are low/airbags/belts perform well, they get a good rating.

Some of these below are good performers, but the door will show damage... some are not so good performers. The Civic is a very safe car compared to many in this harsh test. Many cars are still failing it.

Here is a new Mazda 3 - earned a good rating, but notice the door.

New Hyundai Elantra... (acceptable rating)

Hyundai Accent... (poor rating)

13 Nissan Sentra... poor (it did improve for '15)

'15 Sentra did better and earned a GOOD rating... notice the door though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
New Ford Fiesta...

New Ford Focus... even this still got an acceptable rating.

Chrysler Town and Country... POOR

Nissan Quest... POOR - notice the major collapse of the passenger cage.

The dummy is wedged against the dashboard...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
So stay away from anything that is not Honda or Toyota. Got it.
Everything else just crumpled so much in comparison and they still passed...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Honda doesn't do enough to tout their safety ratings i think. It's always been an MPG game. Volvo used to play the safety angle until they moved more upmarket. Now really just subaru hits the safety angle hard in their marketing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So stay away from anything that is not Honda or Toyota. Got it.
Everything else just crumpled so much in comparison and they still passed...

Yeah, many of these in the pics failed though and got a poor rating. There are many out makes and models there though that did good, just too many to post. lol. I just wanted to post these near the same size as a comparison to compare those doors that were questioned earlier. It is a neat website to explore. I imagine in the next 2-3 years, all cars will be doing well in this test and they will move onto something else. Good to know the new Civic (as well as the 13-15 models are good performers in all of these current tests).

Very surprised by the Ford Focus passing. That looks terrible.

Yeah, it does look bad... the passenger cage itself only got a marginal rating. I think it was that and the fact no major injury despite all of the damage helped it maintain at least an acceptable overall rating. Here is the aftermath. Most car companies tend to make changes to their cars to make them better in this test, but Ford really does not seem to care when it comes to going back and making changes on an existing model to make it a better performer in this test. They have not went back and made one change on any model they have that did not do well initially. The new Fusion and new F150 (crewcab) did well in this test.

The new F150 did amazingly well...

the passenger cage holds...

Honda doesn't do enough to tout their safety ratings i think. It's always been an MPG game. Volvo used to play the safety angle until they moved more upmarket. Now really just subaru hits the safety angle hard in their marketing.

I totally agree!

Though I want a '16 Civic, I currently have a '15 Sonata I have thought about trading/selling soon. I am happy to know it does do well in this same test with a good rating. Interestingly, this car is the same color as mine, the same trim and the same option package. lol.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Wow the Ford F-150 did great. Trucks seem to be the most safe vehicles out there.

I do think that Volvo is still on the forefront with safety tech though. Maybe they aren't pushing it as hard, but they still are very strong in this area.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Wow the Ford F-150 did great. Trucks seem to be the most safe vehicles out there.

I do think that Volvo is still on the forefront with safety tech though. Maybe they aren't pushing it as hard, but they still are very strong in this area.

Yeah, it did. It is one of the largest vehicles (thus far) to do well in this test. I cannot comment though on the Dodge Ram 1500, Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra, or Toyota Tundra however as far as the SMALL overlap crash goes, because those still have not been tested. There is a chance those may do horrid in this test. The F150 is the first redesigned truck since IIHS started these small overlap crash tests, so Ford knew they needed to make this a good performer. Not sure why IIHS has not tested the others yet.

I do not want to go too much into other models, since this is a Civic forum, but one thing to keep in mind that the extended cab '16 F150 did not do so well in the small overlap crash (see pic below). IIHS says Ford made the structure stronger in the crew cab, thus a better rating, but they are looking into making changes in the extended cab to make it a good performer as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts