10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Head of Honda UK, Philip Crossman told AutoExpress that only the rear 1/3 of the Civic would differ from the NY show concept.

The front half of the Honda Civic coupé, revealed at the recent New York motor show, is near identical to the next-generation five-door, according to Honda UK boss Philip Crossman.

Only the rear third of the five-door differs from the coupé. Both models share a new, global Civic platform that will also yield a Type R, 
a four-door saloon and, although it has yet to be confirmed, possibly a Tourer.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...vic-coupé-points-towards-next-five-door-hatch

·
Registered
165 Posts
so you mean that the front of the coupe will be almost the same as the hatch?
if so: uuurraahh!!

i read '2017 release hatch' in the article
is it really that far off?

·
Registered
10 Posts

2017 model year, perhaps released late 2016/early 2017 would be my guess.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
This is not too surprising at all since with all, if not, most of Honda/Acura concepts this happens, concepts not being far off from production models.

They rarely show off something far off from production and when they do its a massive showcase of technology and design.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Its the back end that people liked the most though....
They're referring to the 5 door hatch, not the coupe. They're saying that all the civic models (coupe, sedan and hatch) will all share the same front end treatment. Only the back ends will differ on each, the coupe rear will remain (mostly) the same as the concept.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Too bad the hatchback is far from being released. It would only make sense that the rear end of the hatch would be different due to the dimensions.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I'd wager MY17, so roughly, what, May-July Next year...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The issue with the new hatchback is that Europe just refreshed their current civic so Honda needs to let it run it's course a bit, at least a year. So i'd say that while the coupe and sedan will be out this fall/winter the hatch probably has about another year or so to go before it comes here when the euro hatch is ready to be updated as well. It's kind of the one downfall of having a global car and that it'll be imported from the UK. While i'm excited to see the hatch, i'm all about the coupe so i don't mind the wait.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'd consider the hatch if it were actually around but since it'll be between the coupe and the sedan at first I think I'll go with the coupe. I just like the look of it better, and its not like I have a big family or anything so I don't really need that extra set of doors.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
They're referring to the 5 door hatch, not the coupe. They're saying that all the civic models (coupe, sedan and hatch) will all share the same front end treatment. Only the back ends will differ on each, the coupe rear will remain (mostly) the same as the concept.
That would make the most sense and is the case with a specific vehicle that comes in a variation, been like that for ever, plus with this being a volume product from a business stand point it's what they have to do.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
People also need to keep in mind, from a marketing standpoint, this is a global car now. Which means that they're creating a car that has to appeal to a global audience, not just one continent. I'm hoping this will mean good things for us in the USA, as i've always felt the Euro civics had nicer more upscale interiors, standard features and even in some cases, better performance. It's definitely easier to increase the quality and content here than to decrease it everywhere else and potentially hurt sales in Europe and Asia.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
People also need to keep in mind, from a marketing standpoint, this is a global car now. Which means that they're creating a car that has to appeal to a global audience, not just one continent. I'm hoping this will mean good things for us in the USA, as i've always felt the Euro civics had nicer more upscale interiors, standard features and even in some cases, better performance. It's definitely easier to increase the quality and content here than to decrease it everywhere else and potentially hurt sales in Europe and Asia.
I think we're still going to see disparity between interior quality. Mechanically identical yes, but in NA Honda has the Acura ceiling where Europe and Asia are allowed more upscaled Hondas...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I think we're still going to see disparity between interior quality. Mechanically identical yes, but in NA Honda has the Acura ceiling where Europe and Asia are allowed more upscaled Hondas...
True true. I agree to an extent. Acura is the bane of my existence in alot of ways. Compared to other luxury brands Acura is entry level on almost all fronts. They have so little above their honda counterparts that they end up restricting what honda can do with their lineup without fearing sales losses to Acura. Wish they'd just dissolve it and pull a kia/hyundai and offer them under the honda name. I actually think they'd sell better that way. Back when acura was created people couldn't imagine paying a luxury car premium for a honda, so they broke off into a new brand name. Now a days that stigma isn't there. Most people in my experience don't even realize honda and acura are one in the same, so acura doesn't even get to reap the benefits of hondas name which is synonymous with reliability, efficiency, low cost of ownership, quality.

Acura needs to step up their game in a big way so that honda can then step up theirs.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The thing with Acura, if they step their game up the luxury vehicle ladder, it'll create a whole new breed of Acura.
With how long they've stuck with their way of creating cars, it seems they want to stick with dominating the entry-level Luxury segments and to stay their. Even with their new halo car, NSX, they maintained that.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The thing with Acura, if they step their game up the luxury vehicle ladder, it'll create a whole new breed of Acura.
With how long they've stuck with their way of creating cars, it seems they want to stick with dominating the entry-level Luxury segments and to stay their. Even with their new halo car, NSX, they maintained that.
well I think the point being made above is not for Acura to become BMW, but for Acura to move up to at least infiniti levels as their low rung is keeping Honda stuck offering content that won't cross pollinate Acura (so to speak) Look at what Nissan is capable of doing without a low ceiling, some of the top trim models are downright sumptuous. Honda may not be as sumptuous as Nissan but they are technologically advanced. Just compare global Hondas, especially JDM ones with ours and there is a massive disparity in technology and touch points...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
well I think the point being made above is not for Acura to become BMW, but for Acura to move up to at least infiniti levels as their low rung is keeping Honda stuck offering content that won't cross pollinate Acura (so to speak) Look at what Nissan is capable of doing without a low ceiling, some of the top trim models are downright sumptuous. Honda may not be as sumptuous as Nissan but they are technologically advanced. Just compare global Hondas, especially JDM ones with ours and there is a massive disparity in technology and touch points...
EXACTLY. I'm not saying Acura needs to be the japanese Audi, Bently, BMW or Merc, i'm just saying that by raising the ceiling a bit would allow Honda to compete more in ever expanding mainstream market. Acura does what acura does, but they could definitely do it better while allowing honda to do better too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So the reporter means to tell us that the back end of a hatch looks different than the coupe? And that the front ends of all the same model will look similar?

What passes for news these days...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
So the reporter means to tell us that the back end of a hatch looks different than the coupe? And that the front ends of all the same model will look similar?

Before the 8th gen civics came around the civic models ALWAYS shared front ends. They only different between them was the back ends (sometimes just the taillights and nothing more).

I was a bit disappointed to find out that the sedan would share the coupe's front end exactly, but i always felt like the coupe should be sportier looking than the sedan. But really, i can't even be mad because that coupe back end is pure sex, not to mention the side profile. So i suppose if sharing a nose/hood/etc between the 3 civic models, i won't be too upset. :D

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

well we need to note that it was a European publication, our car has always differed from theirs. SO what he was saying to euro readers was that the concept showed in NY will be exactly the same when Europe gets it just with a hatch at the back. In that context its a fair story...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts