10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a fresh graduate and need a car. I don't want to repair cars always. so the reliability is my main concern. Looked for good price online(edmunds.com, autopriceshare.com, truecar.com...) for several weeks. Finally, I found some deals shared by others and autopriceshare dealers offer me the same price.
Here are my two quotas:

1. 2015 civic LX Automatic Price 17714 (base model on more packages)
1. 2015 corolla LE Price 16579 (base model + one free oil change)

Are these good deals? Which model is more reliable? I am not familiar with cars and any advices will be very helpful!

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can enter the vin number somewhere and it will give you the history of the vehicle. That's the best advice i can give when buying a new car.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Both are great vehicles.

2015 Civic is a 9th generation civic which has been around for a number of years already while the corolla just came out recently. Chances are with the Civic, your chances of running into problems will be reduced as new vehicles usually have typical first model year issues.

I'm pretty sure you can enter the vin number somewhere and it will give you the history of the vehicle. That's the best advice i can give when buying a new car.
Is that what you've done in the past when buying a new vehicle?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Oh yea? The VIN Number of a new car will give you the history, of a new car?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am a fresh graduate and need a car. I don't want to repair cars always. so the reliability is my main concern. Looked for good price online(edmunds.com, autopriceshare.com, truecar.com...) for several weeks. Finally, I found some deals shared by others and autopriceshare dealers offer me the same price.
Here are my two quotas:

1. 2015 civic LX Automatic Price 17714 (base model on more packages)
1. 2015 corolla LE Price 16579 (base model + one free oil change)

Are these good deals? Which model is more reliable? I am not familiar with cars and any advices will be very helpful!

Maybe looking at reliability reports from Consumer Reports can help.

Also, if you're buying/leasing/financing new, you're good for however long your warranty is. From my perspective, if you're going civic or corolla, i don't forecast you needing to be at the mechanic or the dealership every month for repairs unless it's a lemon. You should be ok, just remember to budget-in oil, tire, wiper, and brakes maintenance costs.

Regarding the price and if it's a good deal, you're around $1300 apart between both cars, I would base my purchasing decision on the cost of insurance but most importantly, which car do I enjoy driving more... I drove the corolla CVT and to me, the civic was my type of drive.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Maybe looking at reliability reports from Consumer Reports can help.

Also, if you're buying/leasing/financing new, you're good for however long your warranty is. From my perspective, if you're going civic or corolla, i don't forecast you needing to be at the mechanic or the dealership every month for repairs unless it's a lemon. You should be ok, just remember to budget-in oil, tire, wiper, and brakes maintenance costs.

Regarding the price and if it's a good deal, you're around $1300 apart between both cars, I would base my purchasing decision on the cost of insurance but most importantly, which car do I enjoy driving more... I drove the corolla CVT and to me, the civic was my type of drive.

Good Luck!
Yeah.

Both vehicles are great really, but what I mentioned is what I believe should hold some importance, Toyota did after all do a wealth of changes to the new corolla.

Another thing to point out is both vehicles have been out for long enough that there should be some long-term test of both, great way to get a sense of what to expect as an owner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Both are tops in reliability and excellent choices. I have a 17 year old Toyota Sienna that has only needed maintenance items. Also had a 2006 Civic for 100k+ and never a problem. Note both had minor recall/service bulletin repairs under warranty, same as any car these days.
The long term reliability (>10 years) would favor the Toyota, especially for body rust.
The negotiation of the 15 LX should be better for the Civic since major model change coming this fall and the SE model is a more popular package. I purchase a new 13 model for 16k +TTL when Honda had extra dealer incentives at end of year. I would go in person and offer no more than lowest national Truecar price, and walk if necessary, leave your phone#. I bet they will fold.

·
Registered
31 Posts
for you to compare

bought my 2012 Honda civic LX in October 2012. $15,500 selling price ...$18,000 out the door with 0.9% financing.

·
Registered
876 Posts
for you to compare

bought my 2012 Honda civic LX in October 2012. $15,500 selling price ...$18,000 out the door with 0.9% financing.
Not bad, it might have helped that you bought it near the end of the year instead of earlier it the year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts