10th Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if there is such a thing as a brake adjustment on my 2016 EX? My eighth gen civic had a so called brake adjustment on it where you would back up and hit the brakes hard to manually adjust the brakes. It never seemed to work for me plus, those were drums in the rear, this one (10th) has 4 wheel discs.

My issue is the same issue I had with my 8th gen civic, after 12,000 miles the brake pedal already travels 1/3 way without much grab/stopping power. I think I've read how Honda's brakes are " spongy," is this just a case of "Honda brakes" and oh well?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
To your first question, no that's an auto adjuster on drum brakes only. As for your second question yes some Honda vehicles were known to have spongy brakes but I don't know of any gen Civic that suffers from this and special not the 10th gen. Now having said that, as the brakes ware over time your pedal feel will change and as the pads ware you will require slightly more pedal travel to achieve the same braking. When things are not working properly, reduced stopping power can be caused by a mechanical problem or by poor driver habit. While mechanical problems can occur it would not be as common in a new vehicle vs an old high mileage one, but driver habit can quickly turn a good braking system into a poor working one. Some of the things a driver can cause are; warped rotors, glazed pads, boiled off fluid and sticking sliders. The last two will give you a spongy pedal feel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Actually, the 2 most important things:

Did you check your fluid reservoir level?

Spongy brakes are caused by air bubbles in the brake lines. Bleed your brakes.

After those two items are checked, then start checking other items. And I disagree with the above post. Those mechanical problems don't cause a spongy pedal or a longer pedal travel, unless your pads are worn down to the end of their life. If anything, you would have vibration in the pedal with a lot of those problems.

And boiled off fluid is kinda not the right term. Brake fluid is hydroscopic, so it absorbs moisture from the ampnoshere. If too much water is absorbed over time, your brake fluid will boil when they get super hot. That's why it's important to bleed your brakes every time you do a brake job.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I'd be interested to hear where you read that Honda brakes are "spongy". I've owned nearly (20) examples dating back to the 1980's and every last one of them has had unbelievable stopping power, regardless of vintage or model.

You don't mention which trim level your car is, or specifically whether it has drum or disc brakes at the rear. If it has 4-wheel discs there are no adjustments and if your pedal height is declining then it's possible your fluid level is low or you have somehow gotten air into the system. If it has drum brakes at the rear it's possible (though highly unlikely) that the rear shoes aren't self-adjusting as they should and that the mechanism needs a cleaning and adjustment. For a car so new this would be egregious and very unusual, but would explain a low pedal height.

Also, I don't recall what interval Honda specifies for brake fluid exchange (or if they do at all anymore?), but it should (in my opinion) be done every third year at a minimum, or more often if you live in an area with high humidity.

Lastly, as regards braking performance and longevity: I've tried many different brands and types of brake linings and I keep returning to the Genuine Honda product. They last longer and stop better than anything else I've tried for day-to-day use (if you're rally racing or having track days with yours please don't tell me how the OE product doesn't hold up to this; that's a separate topic altogether), and they aren't actually much more expensive to purchase over-the-counter, although many online sources do offer them for less.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What are the torque specs. for a 2017 touring sedan caliper bolts to caliper bracket, both front and rear? I'm about to swap out the brake pads both front and rear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine is a 2016 Civic...one with turbo

I'm going around 30mph and quite frequently when coming to a stop, the brake pedal will give a little...like it's lost brake fluid pressure.

Honda found the master seal leaking and replaced it and the booster.

Still having the same issue, so they did the power bleed. Still having same issue

1 - 6 of 6 Posts