10th Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 2nd time this has happened... my 2016 Civic will not start after being idle for a couple of days. We jump started it the first time, (after being idle for one week), car started, and no problems.

Second time -- car idle for 1 week, and again, it will not start. Lights and radio come one, but will not crank. We do hear a clicking sound (maybe indicating that the starter is fine).

Could something be draining the battery ? the alarm system maybe ? The car is less than one year old, and there was nothing added to the car, except the original equipment (which included the KAAR Alarm system).

Bad battery ?

HELP..

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Civic has a lot of features that are running while the car is sitting untouched. I have no experience with the KAAR alarm system, but that could be a culprit. The keyless access system is also constantly "listening" for your keyless fob, also. Previously, I had an issues with the car dying over night, but that was because of user error. I installed aftermarket parts in the wrong fuse circuit, and it didn't shut off when I had the car off. Apparently, if the car battery has been drained severely too often, the plates inside of it will accumulate a coating that reduces battery performance. The clicking sound is an indication that the starter is kicking into the flywheel, but doesn't have enough power to turn the engine. It is definitely an issue regarding the battery being drained. If the car starts fine within a few hours or over night, there is definitely something slowly draining the battery over the course of a few days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK-YOU.

We just replaced the battery 2 days ago, and we shall see what happens. Car still under warranty, and I doubt it was the battery that initially caused the problem. Something is draining the battery... and hopefully, if it happens again, the dealer will dig further/investigate deeper.

·
Registered
39 Posts
THANK-YOU.

We just replaced the battery 2 days ago, and we shall see what happens. Car still under warranty, and I doubt it was the battery that initially caused the problem. Something is draining the battery... and hopefully, if it happens again, the dealer will dig further/investigate deeper.
Was the battery replaced with a HONDA OEM or a aftermarket one like Interstate or something else?
Just curious. My civic sat for almost 2 days and barely started this am.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the 2nd time this has happened... my 2016 Civic will not start after being idle for a couple of days. We jump started it the first time, (after being idle for one week), car started, and no problems.

Second time -- car idle for 1 week, and again, it will not start. Lights and radio come one, but will not crank. We do hear a clicking sound (maybe indicating that the starter is fine).

Could something be draining the battery ? the alarm system maybe ? The car is less than one year old, and there was nothing added to the car, except the original equipment (which included the KAAR Alarm system).

Bad battery ?

HELP..

Thanks
i had a similar problem with my nissan sylphy. changed the battery 4x in 2016. nissan malaysia themselves couldnot figure it out. finally sold my car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone had more experiences with this?

My wife's 2016 Civic coupe just did this. She last drove it five days ago and today it wouldn't start. She says that initially, the doors unlocked and the displays came on but once she tried to start it, everything went. I came out to look at it and there was nothing. Only a faint clicking when I tried to lock and unlock the doors. I used a multi-meter to check the battery and it was down to 5v. We were able to jump start it and so far, it seems fine but for a 2-year old battery to crap-out from sitting for only five days in mild weather is insane.

Is this a common issue with this model? If so, that's BS and Honda needs to fix it ASAP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts